Windows 8... is it crazy Difficult or is it me????????????

My laptop isn't touch screen so I do t think I have much to loose

[quote author=KENC link=topic=40348.msg459983#msg459983 date=1389636875]
My laptop isn't touch screen so I do t think I have much to loose
[/quote]

Sorry Ken misread that ...you said touch pad not touch screen.

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=40348.msg459839#msg459839 date=1389569138]
Bring back XP!!!!
[/quote]

Same as that love xp

I despise it and I'm very much a windows man. Granted I only had a quick mess around on someone else's laptop but I hate it.

Well at least it's good to know you computer guys have issues with it

What would you boys use in work Dan? Do you use windows based operating systems? Are Google looking at their own desktop OS?

for normal [quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=40348.msg461208#msg461208 date=1390055036]
What would you boys use in work Dan? Do you use windows based operating systems? Are Google looking at their own desktop OS?
[/quote]

For normal stuff,laptop based like emails and internet apps etc we use Macbooks or Chrome Pixels:

http://www.google.ie/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebook-pixel/

http://blogs.computerworld.com/laptops/23009/chromebook-pixel-revisited

You Can get Chrome OS to work on desktops but not a full OS publicly released yet so its still in testing, just add it to Windows 8.1:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2087889/latest-chrome-build-brings-all-of-chrome-os-to-windows-8.html

Windows is just too in-secure for corporate use. Our main servers run a custom Linux operating system

Cool, how does using google docs compare with MS office? Would it be easy for people to start using and is there compatibility with word, excel?

google ?
dont you mean skynet :icon_grin:

google-skynet_50290de12a642_w1500.png

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=40348.msg461247#msg461247 date=1390063568]
Cool, how does using google docs compare with MS office? Would it be easy for people to start using and is there compatibility with word, excel?
[/quote]

Google docs is really easy to use and you can import most ms office files to it anyway and then they are always available to you online. Sometimes some crazy formulas or macros may not work properly but that's very rare. Its better than the ms online office I think. But obvious u need an internet connection to use docs to save online automatically. There is offline mode etc u can use too.

Guys, fully agree that W8 is a big bag of pooh... I've been using PCs since DOS2.11 and then Windows 1.0 upwards... W7 is grand and probably best of the lot, but W8 sucks big time...

Bought a new laptop for the Mrs in November and could only get one with W8... she tried, but couldn't drive it and asked me to have a go and :angry1: -- I might not be the be all and end all IT guru, but in IT a long time and for an IT person who grew up with Windows from the first version to be this frustrated by it shows you how bad MS messed up. > sorry, RANT over...

Anyhow... @ KENC to see if I can help you a little:

1) upgrade to 8.1 -- takes forever and a day to do but worth it as gives you Start and desktop back (and fixes plenty of missing and broken stuff)
2) if you need / want to close a window and there is no X -- press ALT and F4 and the window / application will close (old short cut available since W3 and a life-saver)
3) Windows Key and press:
e opens windows explorer (not Internet Explorer)
r opens RUN window to execute programs like for example calc opens calculator etc
d gets you to the desktop, which especially in W8 is a very handy shortcut
f gets you search (f for find)
L locks your computer and needs your password to unlock
4) move mouse to right of screen and menu opens which has a lot of stuff previously in the START menu in older versions
5) to open a program, if you don't have a shortcut somewhere, move mouse to right, open menu and at top has search field, type name of program, or even start of name and will show you options.

The above doesn't make W8 any better, but at least allows you to navigate to things, close windows when you need to and get to the desktop when them stupid tiles reappear. :thumbsup:

Back