What makes a good driver's car?

Eoinmack

Webmasters
Staff member
ISDC Club Member
Thought this would be an interesting thread lads, be very curious to hear from you all and hear your thoughts on it.
As some of ye know, my own car kicked the bucket recently (still hunting for something) and I've replaced with a daily 131 2.0L Astra Elite. 165BHP.
Car has all the gadgets you could ask for, hill climb assist, cruise control, heated electronically controlled seats, hands free, auto lights, auto wipers etc etc
BUT!
What I find with this car, is that there is absolutely zero desire to 'go on a mountain spin' or detail it... Or 'how fast will I take this corner... You know, nothing. Nada.
It's just that there's no.... Enjoyment driving it.. Its just driving, from A to B, and that's about it.
I really can't wait to get back into the cockpit of a read drivers car and just drive like it's supposed to be driven.

What does it for you guys?
What makes your car a driver's car?

To be honest the subaru is the only car I drive to enjoy and I've driven lots of brands having worked in a Honda dealership that also sold high end cars I even drove the new type R and it didn't do anything for me new cars just seem to be boring

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

A good drivers car is one that you can feel connected to or feel part of the car ( as weird as that sounds ) , giving good feedback in the steering brakes and good handling , not necessarily all about power .

Subaru , especially a classic have a unique feel that you just don?t get in any other car , some of the older Hondas come close eg6 , dc2 and ek9 .

For me a good drivers car is 1 That when you look out the window you want to bring it for a spin . There are loads of great drivers cars that I wouldn?t want to drive it have no interest in not because there not great cars but they just done appeal to me . Example Clio 172. Mini Cooper s golf r bmw what ever ( I do like the m2 competition ) .

it?s down to your taste in cars in my view . I got more pleasure driving a 95 legacy than I did most other cars . That?s just the way it goes .

ps . (There?s an s401 here with your name on it ):icon_grin:

Yup, agreed with all above.
@joe that S401 will be a while away yet for me lol but yes, you are correct, it has my name on it ????

Have never driven a classic but have got a spin in one a few times, to be fair they do feel very responsive on the road. Can feel it proper even from the passo seat.

As the man says, if you can't walk away from your car without looking back at it, your driving the wrong car ????

For me it's down to the connection between driver and the machine and the machine feeding back to the driver what's happening on the road. A good drivers car is not dependent on spec, toys, power, torque etc. If the car can tell you via the pedals, wheel and seat when it's loading up, unloading, shifting weight, losing grip etc. then it's a good drivers car. If you saw at the wheel mid corner and the car doesn't respond or you can't feel any discernible difference then it's not.

Drivers car I think is an individual thing, and even then it changes as the individual changes.

It really has to be a car you want to drive, a car you make excuses to get a drive in or go the long way around.

My idea of a drivers car at 20 yrs of age was a hard suspension, hardcore feeling car....
Now at 40 that?s not a drivers car to me anymore, nothing tells you that you need to loose a bit of weight like hard suspension :(

A drivers car to me now would be a factory built power house like M3, M4, C63Amg etc... where as 20 yrs ago it was DC2 Integras, scoobies, evos etc...

I guess I?m trying to say in my opinion it?s not a one shoe fits all, it?s an individual thing, and if you find that a volvo estate is a car you like to lash around and look forward to driving, and it suits you because you have a bad back etc... well then that?s a drivers car for you

Very true, good point Ken.
I do believe it's not a 'one size fits all' thing, it's deffo not for me. Some guys love a Civic, some guys love a convertible, some guys love an Altezza...
I completely agree there. I do however, believe that it is also in the feel of the car and as Barry said, a car that you feel connected to. Almost part of the car rather than the pilot. If that car is a Volvo station wagon, then as Ken said, that's your car.

For me, it's all about how you feel in the car.
I won't lie, I think if it makes you happy to drive that particular car, then that's your car.

Rather than, it's a nice day so let's take the scenic route home, to me, it wouldn't make a difference, hail sleet or snow, I'd take the long way home lol

There's a road local to me I only discovered a few months ago, up a hill road through a forest. All tight hairpins and turns with great views.
I do like driving, but I would much prefer to take that road in a Scooby.
I've had through the years, various quick cars, EM1 Civic, EG coupe Civic, Starlet GT, Glanza V etc but NONE connected with me like the WRX. Even the Legacy, close, but not there.

A drivers car to me, is one you actually feel good about driving, more so than just enjoying the drive, but actually feeling good about it. Smiles per gallon literally.

Very interesting to hear everyone's views.
I like these conversations lol

:subaru:

I've a very simple opnion on this..

Old stuff gives great driving appeal because of what they are bad at and good at...Modern stuff is perfectly adequate at all things

Ill reference 2 stand out cars here the Tvr v8 Chimera my mate owned and his 1987 911 both dripping with character and both really left a impression on me.

Probably for exactly the same reason im still in subarus after 8 years..they all share something a huge mechanical connection to the driver.

The modern stuff Golf R Cupra Ect ect are just so effortless there boring really booooring.

The 911 I mentioned above way unbelievable drove it from London to tip of Scotland and on many other times brilliant and extremely heart stopping handling same with Tvr big v8 no abs no tcs ect have to feel the car.

Theres a few standouts that I've enjoyed though in newer stuff Caymen S a beautful machine to fire down a back road pin point accuracy and my Swift Sport 125 bhp and a absoultly riot over a twisty road just brimming with charm.

Unfortunately Subaru got left behind by Honda Vw ect over the years and never really invoated.... but drive a new golf R or similar over your favourite mountain road and ull know

effective yes enjoyable?..

NO.

Old School for the win.

414af1ff3123a34574d335860546f31b.jpg
45320a1a2b89016f56d18a9a00e2cde1.jpg
3205cc34eb95e0b2e1807ce5680064a5.jpg
f14bdf7d6c709076b49fafd72745b434.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had money in my pocket last week to put on a 380bhp Golf R, gave it a good test drive and got out of it with a numb feeling, not like you would in a subaru. Too digital and effortless.
My Suzuki swift, is the best fun I've ever had on track, numerous times now. More fun than the M3s, megane RS, imprezas, and R26(close on this one)
Always find the nearer you can drive a car to 100% and be really involved in its gear change, turn in and braking, and being able to get it slightly out of shape, but controlled, the swift ticks those boxes. The others mentioned above were too fast to have real fun.

Agree 100% Alan , I have had more fun in hot hatch?s than an Impreza , between 150-200hp in a car with a focus on handling that you can drive at 10/10ths on a back road .

To put it in perspective in lap times myself in 2 different cars ,a 1993 190hp civic hatch 2.06 around Mondello, a 360hp wagon (at the time , best hp for quick laps) was 2.03 , so 3 seconds faster but I had more craic in the slower car

Same here baz, megane RS was 2.03 in mondello, but 2.15 in the swift, messing with lift off over steer and very controllable, best fun ever. Ringing its neck out trying to get it going, you watch it back on a video clip and laugh, as it looks so so slow from the outside

As a drivers car this has giving me over the last few months my best trills, looks well from the window, you have to drive it like a race car to get it to go but it gives back so much in the corners and the brakes are brilliant.

Attachments

• IMG_20200316_113750.jpg
    IMG_20200316_113750.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 36
As a drivers car this has giving me over the last few months my best trills, looks well from the window, you have to drive it like a race car to get it to go but it gives back so much in the corners and the brakes are brilliant.

We had a clio with us the other night on a hoon, great cars.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200725-084609_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20200725-084609_WhatsApp.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 21
Back