Weird Problem

that's strange because my check engine light doesn't come on at all.
I'm going to fit the new spark plugs tomorrow and have a look at the coils so I'll give an update then.

I rang the dealer about mine, he asked me to call down to him on Friday but I said I'd hang on for another couple of weeks to see if things will get any better as it is a 3 and a half hour drive.

Dave, what exactly do you mean by air pump? I've never heard of that. Is the car taking in too much air into the mix at times?? Thanks.

been reading up on this airpump fault and apparently it throws up a cel on the dash and puts the car into safe mode , so you would know if it was the airpump , also heard that there is 2 blanking plates available to do away with the secondary pump thus allowing the car to function normally , the ecu needs to be reset also to relearn that the the secondary airpump is not there , will put the link up later ,

So I got the spark plugs changed and no improvement. Nothing noticeable wrong with the coils or plugs.
Still behaving exactly the same way losing power from about 1800 rpm until over 3000 rpm and its actually gotten worse over the past few days.

I think it's time to get it plugged into a computer and see whats wrong with it.

Right I think I have it sorted. I took out the MAF sensor and it's perfectly clean, air filters all seem ok too.

I did a soft ECU reset by disconnecting the battery and the acceleration problems seem to be gone. It does sound and smell like its running a bit rich now though so I just need to do another soft reset and give it some "spirited" driving tomorrow I think in quieter traffic to allow the ECU to sort itself out.

My car started doing this yesterday, same model as OP. I likened it to having a turbo installed, massive lag then it just takes off. Can you confirm disconnecting the battery sorted this?

Nope it came back again after disconnecting the battery. I brought it to a dealer and had the ecu reset and updated. Problem is sorted since then.

Damn, it's never the simple fix. Mine is due a service soon, so might pull it in and kill 2 birds with one stone. It's under warrenty but I don't know if it would be worth the hassle of driving miles out to the dealership.

just in case anyone is interested, I had the ecu reset done at carroll roche in Dublin and it cost 70 euro (1 hours labour)

Cheers

Back