Water leak Forester SG5 - common places to look out for?

KrakityJones

ISDC Club Member
Just spotted earlier that the headliner is quite damp towards the back of the roof, it's fairly spread across the back though so can't pinpoint it. Not in a position to take off the headliner at the minute (no garage and meant to rain for the next few days). Car has been parked on a slope facing nose-up.

Any common places that these leak? I would have thought the sunroof but all the seals look fine and headliner is dry around there. Only place I could see any sort of gap is at the back of the roof-rack rail, but it's a tiny gap and I'd say it's always been like that. I'll fill it anyway.

So yeah in summary any known weak spots/easy fixes I could address first before pulling the liner off?

Cheers

Is the car been driven everyday ? I’ve had an issue with condensation behind the roof liner in the cold nights and it dripping down into the boot , get a few dehumidifiers, search Pingi and they will come up on euro car parts

Barely being driven alright at the moment, just short trips to the shop. It looks like more than that tho, and it was bucketing down with high wind last night and today too. Reckon there's a tiny leak somewhere and wind is driving it in.

Few of those box dehumidifiers in now to help dry it out. Just checked it again and it was actually dripping down from the back corner, damnit anyway have to go chasing that before it becomes a problem. Think it's under the roof rail alright, some perished sealant there between the roof and the rail, should be an easy fix if that's all it is tho.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, judging by the water marks on the roof liner it does look now to be coming from the back rhs corner of the sunroof, I had that exact same problem in an old Renault before, sunroof drain was blocked up with crap.

Back