Vrt jap import

johnkin

Hi lads,

Im being held up weeks by dvla in the UK for my UK plates, as I bought the car and transported it into Ireland around 2 weeks ago. So it's just sitting up in the garage.

Is it possible for me to just vrt it here instead of waiting on dvla and the UK dealer? What docs do I need to do this for a jap import? It has no plates and is de registered from Japan.
I have what looks like the Japanese tax book and receipt of sale from dealer.
My problem is I'm pretty sure he has sent in to the dvla all the docs I need?

Its killing me having it sitting up waiting OK the dvla in the UK.
Ive never done this and not much info online so any help is really appreciated.

Cheers

Papers are currently with dvla as bought it off a UK dealer but massive delays in the UK so if possible and quicker I was thinking could just register here instead, If I have everything I need.

So what your saying is ,

Purchased a fresh jap import in UK.
Dealer has sent for UK registration docs and plates .
Don't want to wait anymore due to time delays with dvla.

Firstly I'd say let it be registered in UK.
Mate of mine bought a jap car via UK many moons ago , when he went to vrt it, he got hit with a hefty vat bill and as he had no way of providing proof of bill been paid on import He paid a big lump on vat. At least when on UK plates you can drive her home in the knowledge all is above board.
Thats assuming you can get to the UK and back with travel restrictions between here and there .
Not easy I know but sit tight , it'll all work out in the end , rushing usually leads to mistakes

You will have to wait on v5 to reg here , dvla is very very slow at the minute.
Make sure you have proof on it in the country before 1st jan or you will have 20 percent vat to pat aswell as vrt due to brexit

VRT say all values will be on the day car is presented for evaluation afaik

Will there be 20% vat from uk after January 1st,I assumed with a brexit deal kind of been done this was avoided

@tommy 555 Yes exactly, only the car has been in Ireland for about 2 weeks, locked up.

I think you're right and it probally is the safer option to just wait till dvla issue the UK reg, don't wanna get caught out like your buddy did!

I'll hold out so and thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

Will there be 20% vat from uk after January 1st,I assumed with a brexit deal kind of been done this was avoided
A no deal brexit was the reason I brought it into the country before Jan 1st, even though still waiting on plates I can at least prove I had in the country beforehand.

A no deal brexit would have certainly meant additional customes charges for sure, but considering there has been some sort of deal it now depends on the detail. The safer option was to bring it in prior to Jan 1st and ensure sale date and if possible UK reg, or at least application date is before Jan 1st also.

Sit tight there's a huge backlog in the uk at the moment it's not the dealers fault even when things were going ok it was a 5-8 week wait or was the last time I did it .
You don't have the paperwork either so nothing you can do only sit tight

the brexit deal saved us from 10 percent import charges.
the 21 percent vat will be charged because they are now out of the uk

Sit tight there's a huge backlog in the uk at the moment it's not the dealers fault even when things were going ok it was a 5-8 week wait or was the last time I did it .
You don't have the paperwork either so nothing you can do only sit tight
yes there was huge backlog with dvla already , then there was covid outbreak in dvla swansea and it had to shut before xmas , i see some guys in uk waited 3 months for v5

Ye It’s a long wait but that’s the way it goes . It gives you time to get all the work you wanted to get done sorted 👍👍 and you will be ready for when your paperwork is back 👍👍 . It’s a pain Having a new Car outside and not being able to drive it but it was always going to be that way even with all going well you were looking at 4-5 weeks Dvla and 5-8 weeks with vrt so that’s 3 months give it take before all is sorted so sit tight 👍👍👍

Think once you can prove purchase before first of January , the vat charge won't affect you , that what suppliers I deal with in UK are saying anyway . The rule at time of purchase is what applies not whats changed in the mean time is my understanding.

the brexit deal saved us from 10 percent import charges.
the 21 percent vat will be charged because they are now out of the uk

I thought that was sorted

So 21% dearer on any car brought in to Ireland from the U.K. starting in basically a days time(+ import duties whatever that amount is ?)

PRICKS

Importing a vehicle from Great Britain (GB) or Northern Ireland​

From 1 January 2021 you may have to pay the following when you import a vehicle from Great Britain:

If a vehicle is being imported from Northern Ireland, no import duty will apply but you may be liable to pay:

• Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT)
  • VAT at 21% (only in respect of new vehicles).
An electronic customs declaration will be required in advance of the vehicle arriving in the State.

All motor vehicles imported from the UK into the State must be registered within 30 days of the date they first arrive. However, there are some exceptions. VRT is charged in most cases when a vehicle is registered in the State.

I don't believe that will come in Colm. I've a mate with an appointment tomorrow and only difference is the new VRT rates no mention of VAT.
Also it says 'may have to pay' on the second line. Also know a guy who works in VRT and no mention of VAT or duty to them yet.
They can't charge VAT on a second hand car registered prior to 01/01/21 as VAT already paid in on it in the EU.
There still without doubt be some amount of UK cars coming in via NI now which ultimately I don't think will end up with the end user in the South saving anything only probably getting a better spec car.
I bought over there end of November out of fear of VAT etc. and still glad I did anyway.

How are they? its black and white , your importing from non eu country , same as if you import from japan now.
Disaster but thats brexit , even buying parts on ebay uk or import car parts is out the window now

How are they? its black and white , your importing from non eu country , same as if you import from japan now.
Disaster but thats brexit , even buying parts on ebay uk or import car parts is out the window now
They said before Xmas there wouldn't be VAT & duty. VRT'd a car yesterday no VAT or duty so not so black and white.
If this is the case they are now charging VAT twice. It wouldn't be like the revenue to stick the hand in at all.

It is black and white
If the car is in the country before the 1st of jan theres no vat due , if its in the country after 1st jan then there is vat due.
Nothing to do with revenue , its eu law.

Ok so there is no excise duty anyway but still ultimately you will paying VAT on something that already have VAT on it when it was new.
No VAT if evidence that the car was imported into NI first but looks like NI dealers are going to have to pay a duty to bring a car from GB to NI so ultimately will be little saving by the time it gets south of the border.

Back