Vrt cost

Don't forget you have to pay customs charges if the car isn't coming from a northern Ireland address as well as the vrt calculation which is usually mental expensive.
My 2.0 tdi scirocco was €3600 and it was registered to my house in the North for more than 6 months so I had no customs to pay.

I'll tell you when you used be able get value for money on your import,in the early 00s when JDM car's started coming into the country and the likes of a twin cam could be bought for 6k on auto trader. I bought a mint low milage (12,000kms) dc5 in 2010 for 10k and sold it one year later for same price because we were in a recession. I'm sick to back teeth of fellas nowadays looking for a bargin. Fellas need get into their heads that the time's have moved on,car's are the price they are now because the whole world and it's mother has caught on to the JDM scene and the car's that are available for export from their. That combined with the fact that these car's are no longer being produced and demand is huge is driving price's skywards. Certain model's/makes of car's will only get stronger and the least desirable or well known one's will still command a good price. There is some car's on donedeal that the price's are just jaw dropping,and I'm not talking about what people consider high millage good condition well maintained car's either. My point is you pay for what you get. If your budget doesn't allow for that then need reconsider what your looking to buy. Also the whole buy a car cheap and restore it forget bout it doesn't happens unless your a panel beater yourself with a mechanical background and your own garage with a lift. This isn't a personal thing against anybody looking for a good bargain best of Luck to them we all looking for that when we buying,very few them left out there now and in the next few year's the whole thing is gunna get beyond impossible to own a nice car with everything considered like the whole environmental situation,vr and sourcing a reasonable quality car without being rode on all the vat,vrt,customs etc and demand from the next generation. Rant over

Fair point but It’s not really that either . There’s people selling cars now with just stupid prices because they alone think it’s worth it and it’s just not .
The phrases come out like
Sure vrt is 6-10k alone to bring one in so I’ll jack my price up 10k for a rusty car that’s being here 10 years compared to a fresh minty 1 from Japan.
They’re making me strong money in Japan because there way cleaner and better looked after and the lad selling bad ones over here thinks his is the same 🙈🙈

Not all Subarus go up in value either . We all like to think our cars have but in reality very few do .
It’s all to do with supply and demand and cash flow
There’s still some nice cars out there for sale but a lot of them are over priced . Good value is hard found and most don’t have the cash to spend on them when over a certain price bracket
5-10k is walking around Money cars sell quick
10-15 means a personal loan , needs to be a good car that someone really wants
15-30 needs to be an investment car that’s going to hold and go up in value .

Iv a 97 type r and a 2013 spec c for sale and it’s going to be a slow sale as the value of the cars are high so 6-12 months sale if I find someone Intrested . Maybe others think they’re overpriced but Iv priced them fairly with condition and spec .
it’s a buyers marker at the moment

100% with ya Joe. Like, I said it before, people are selling their cars for 140% of what they're worth cause they trying to claim back the VRT back I think, cars in Ireland are worth the same amount as a similar car in UK. Registration tax is just more expensive. That's all. Same way a box of fags costs 16 or 17 quid but a tenner of that is tax. But, doesn't change the fact that people will charge more because of Registration fees. I'm a solid believer that it doesn't make the car WORTH more tho

It's fairly simple really,you would know if buying here,by looking at pictures and spec and service history of car If it's genuine or not. Then upon viewing your going with a fairly good idea what condition the car is in,so you basically know be4 viewing if it's worth the money.
Unless your clueless on the whole scene or maket,in which case you should be getting somebody in the know to help you buy if that's what you are doing,then you'd have fairly good idea what the car is worth.
What I see on donedeal is 80% roughly of JDM or classic cars regardless of it's make/model are priced fairly accurately,fairly I said haha give or take. Then you have the rest that are overpriced a bit,still clean good examples most them just bit overpriced. Then there is the odd lunatic looking 15k upwards for an altezza or something that you know has had the whole drivin out of it and he puts in ad it had oil change every 5km so that makes it a good car,stop ffs give me a break. It's only going to get harder to get good examples regardless of make/model and that includes from Japan. When I'm buying anything I'd always try search high and low on these shores 1st based on my budget be4 deciding if I'm going to ask if what I'm looking for can be imported for my budget. My own wagon just purely as an example iv found two them for sale in Japan,not auction through dealership,V6 Ltd edition in Blue 17k euro each. Add in all your costs if you decide to go that way your up on what I'm asking which is 25k and possibly more. Is that where I got my 25k asking price out off,no. I used that information along with the condition and history of my own wagon since it was imported and that's where I got the price from. I feel it's accurate for the car as imo it's in exceptional condition and well maintained for it's age(not mint) as alot of people like to put in their ad's but realisticly what is a mint car nowadays. It's a buyer's market 100% for sure. But if you have a car that you feel is worth the money and can afford to sit on it,basically no major panic to sell then it will hold it's value at minimum, and steadly increase again in time if it's a desirable model of car. It's all fun and games. Some serious nice car's in.this country it's only when at shows or rally you really see what's on this island and that's class. Donedeal has alot of good stuff it's just the fucking idiot's on it that are pure dreamers that make it a nightmare. Best Luck to the above man looking for his subaru if he's got the money ready to go he will find a good example to suit his budget

96 WRX JDM import was over 6K last week - Std car
It's getting next too near impossible for people like the person that this thread was started over to get on the ladder. None of us are immune to it,Im certainly not I feel for people especially young people that have a genuine interest in car's or motorsport or that whole scene. As I said already based on my own experience only,search here 1st in Ireland there is genuine seller's and the car community is good and helpful in general as tjis forum showstime and again. Start out small and be realistic,and no matter what your driving it's not about the car or how cool it is,it's about feeding the passion and connecting with like minded people I'm speaking from experience I'm sure alot of ye can relate.

100% dude. It drives a lot of people out of the affordability range like. It was only 2 or 3 years ago that a WRX could be bought for less than 5k. And now everything is expensive. Crazy. The government driving out the imports and pushing the electric scam. Disaster
Friend of mine bought a brand new tesla last year. 75k I think he said...or 76 maybe..
Anyway, got bored of it, said he wanted an Audi A8.
Dealership offered him 28 for the Tesla. Seems like lads are catching on that the time bomb batteries in those babies are another 30k lol 😆
But DO NOT import a performance car 🤣
Countries fucked

100% dude. It drives a lot of people out of the affordability range like. It was only 2 or 3 years ago that a WRX could be bought for less than 5k. And now everything is expensive. Crazy. The government driving out the imports and pushing the electric scam. Disaster
Friend of mine bought a brand new tesla last year. 75k I think he said...or 76 maybe..
Anyway, got bored of it, said he wanted an Audi A8.
Dealership offered him 28 for the Tesla. Seems like lads are catching on that the time bomb batteries in those babies are another 30k lol 😆
But DO NOT import a performance car 🤣
Countries fucked
94 all the way and a big smile when handing over the €200, we are moving into the golden age of JDM now over the next 4-5 years unless they change the VRT rules that is, and that wouldnt surprise me.

It's fairly simple really,you would know if buying here,by looking at pictures and spec and service history of car If it's genuine or not. Then upon viewing your going with a fairly good idea what condition the car is in,so you basically know be4 viewing if it's worth the money.
Unless your clueless on the whole scene or maket,in which case you should be getting somebody in the know to help you buy if that's what you are doing,then you'd have fairly good idea what the car is worth.
What I see on donedeal is 80% roughly of JDM or classic cars regardless of it's make/model are priced fairly accurately,fairly I said haha give or take. Then you have the rest that are overpriced a bit,still clean good examples most them just bit overpriced. Then there is the odd lunatic looking 15k upwards for an altezza or something that you know has had the whole drivin out of it and he puts in ad it had oil change every 5km so that makes it a good car,stop ffs give me a break. It's only going to get harder to get good examples regardless of make/model and that includes from Japan. When I'm buying anything I'd always try search high and low on these shores 1st based on my budget be4 deciding if I'm going to ask if what I'm looking for can be imported for my budget. My own wagon just purely as an example iv found two them for sale in Japan,not auction through dealership,V6 Ltd edition in Blue 17k euro each. Add in all your costs if you decide to go that way your up on what I'm asking which is 25k and possibly more. Is that where I got my 25k asking price out off,no. I used that information along with the condition and history of my own wagon since it was imported and that's where I got the price from. I feel it's accurate for the car as imo it's in exceptional condition and well maintained for it's age(not mint) as alot of people like to put in their ad's but realisticly what is a mint car nowadays. It's a buyer's market 100% for sure. But if you have a car that you feel is worth the money and can afford to sit on it,basically no major panic to sell then it will hold it's value at minimum, and steadly increase again in time if it's a desirable model of car. It's all fun and games. Some serious nice car's in.this country it's only when at shows or rally you really see what's on this island and that's class. Donedeal has alot of good stuff it's just the fucking idiot's on it that are pure dreamers that make it a nightmare. Best Luck to the above man looking for his subaru if he's got the money ready to go he will find a good example to suit his budget
Very well said 👏

Back