Turbo Noise

Markokavo

ISDC Club Member
I believe i have a noise coming from my turbo.
Slight scraping sound.
Not all the time but getting more noticeable.
4K rpm dropping to 3K rpm.
Definitely coming from driver side turbo area.
Car driving perfectly. No loss of power.

14411AA542 Subaru Turbo VF37 Twin Scroll

Any recommendations of a company to investigate / recondition.
Seems to be a lot of them online.

Prefer to keep turbo standard. Not to have to remap.

But could go to VF36. (Map).
VF42 be hard got.

VF37 / VF36 / VF42

New are expensive.
VF37

VF36

Assured Performance can get you a replacement unit if you want to avoid the import duties etc from ordering off DL Motorsport.

VF42, VF49 and VF58 are out of production. They'll be able to get you a VF36.

When my VF36 went Ali Burrows had a new unit available, and also a unit that had come off a rally car for a fraction of the cost.

Sounds like the same issue that Johns had but that was noisy like that for years before it gave up even going back to when Robbie had it ,

Be no harm to pull the down pipe and check it for play , the noise could be the compressor/turbine blades scraping off the inside of the housings

Like the lads said above mark best to get it checked with camera, a lot of the standard turbo's give bother with the wastegate housing cracking and then become noisy but doesn't affect it power wise. Assured performance as John said above would prob be best bet to check it for you and possibly recondition it or supply you a new ones as they do ihi turbos we deal with them in work very good

So bought an inspection camera last weekend.
Between showers i investigated what i could.
Opened up the inlet and put camera down.
No obvious marks on the turbo fins or housing,
Very slight bit of oil residue where plastic inlet is connected to turbo.
Noise is slightly worse but probably because i am more concentrated on the subject and using the car daily for work (New Job).
No performance issues.
Will make contact with Assured Performance hopefully next week if i get a chance.
Thanks for advice (y)

While investigating i had a vacuum pipe that was a bit worn with heat that i should of replaced.
Pulled at it and the straight through joint disintegrated before the turbo T.
Had the boost pipe to replace, but not the straight through joiner.
Got a joiner in Halfords in a panic and got me sorted. (Sunday evening).
Ordered the Full T Vacuum setup from ICP and was delivered, but did't need it, but had the joiner.
Will get rest replace if getting turbo sorted.

So bought an inspection camera last weekend.
Between showers i investigated what i could.
Opened up the inlet and put camera down.
No obvious marks on the turbo fins or housing,
Very slight bit of oil residue where plastic inlet is connected to turbo.
Noise is slightly worse but probably because i am more concentrated on the subject and using the car daily for work (New Job).
No performance issues.
Will make contact with Assured Performance hopefully next week if i get a chance.
Thanks for advice (y)

While investigating i had a vacuum pipe that was a bit worn with heat that i should of replaced.
Pulled at it and the straight through joint disintegrated before the turbo T.
Had the boost pipe to replace, but not the straight through joiner.
Got a joiner in Halfords in a panic and got me sorted. (Sunday evening).
Ordered the Full T Vacuum setup from ICP and was delivered, but did't need it, but had the joiner.
Will get rest replace if getting turbo sorted.
Text me Monday morning as I'll forget otherwise and I'll contact them for ya if you want as we deal with them in work

Back