Tuning Question

MrMagoo

Middle Lane Hogs
Well lads

Ive owned 3 imprezas over the years and have never attempted to tune any of them, now getting a bit of a bug for tinkering with my latest one.

Its a 94 wrx totallt standard bar a k&n panel filter, and uprated brakes and suspension.
Now heres the issue:

I want to upgrade the power but as with many people, money is tight, have been reading a lot and im wondering if i got a z4 ecu and a decat system would it be safe to run in my car or will it go pop!

Im wondering is there any mods i can do that will increase power a bit but safely!

Cheers

Anybody??

The plan is to fit a z4 ecu, decat, air filter, walbro fuel pump, Front mount intercooler.

Which or any of these mods can i run safely to begin with??

To be honest lad,save your money buy a apexi ecu and go that way about modding your car,also no need for the FMIC as your not running big power so waste of money.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fair enough! I know i should but to be honest I dont wanna go mad spending big money on a 94 wrx as it is pushing on a bit, but would i be safe enough with the z4, decat, pump and air filter??

What power roughly should I get??

Its not power that puts a smile on your face....its the torque figure,but you probably looking at 250/260bhp... :ponder2:

if your running a td04 turbo maybe change to a td05 :dontknow:
thats what a mate of mine done a few weeks back and he loves it, he says theres a fierce difference in boost and it just feels alot quicker.....udd pick one up for handy money too.........

you will be grand with those mods but what is the z4 ecu, is it a chip? if so, dont use it!

how many miles on your car?
how much power you want?

As far as i can gather its a replacement ecu based on a ater model wrx, upping the map, boost and timing etc.
So with the ecu and decat i should see a better spool up and slightly higher boost?
Does anyone know if im running a td04 or td05, its a 94 reg wrx, with the black and red seats, think its the 240bhp model?

Right lads, need to pick the techies heads one more time.

I was onto a Subaru rally mechanic and was talking through options, he was saying if i fitted the Z4 ecu, a fuel pump and a group a decat downpipe??
If I did this is it safe, or whats the story?

Dont know anything about the above ecu lad and have never heard of it which leads me to suggest not to go near it
over another popular tried and tested system such as simtek/apexi

The ecu's accredited to the scooby do are apexi and simtek where simtek does away for the MAF!!
I would agree with Scoobyke and save for an apexi, or a simtek map as it will be one less thing to worry about
Also id fit a knock link and some gauges (Oil Pressure/Temp mainly) and go from there.
Nick of Couture on here sells gauges at very good prices
Hope this helps somewhat! :thumbsup:

Cheers GC8

The Z4 is widely used as a starter mod for the WRX and i know they are safe to run. I appreciate that I should go for the Apexi ecu however as stated, its a 94 car and to be quite honest id be weary on spending 1200+ on that ecu.

Im looking for the best and yet safest bang for my buck! The ecu is not the issue its the decat, will it screw my air fuel ratio or anything like that??

Ye a Z4 is just the code on the standard ECU as per diff models... I've a spare ecu ther and its a W6... in sayin that my little bro had a 94 WRX few years back with a Z4 ecu and it was surprisingly quick :dontknow: :dontknow:

[quote author=MrMagoo link=topic=18864.msg231954#msg231954 date=1256653534]
Cheers GC8
The Z4 is widely used as a starter mod for the WRX and i know they are safe to run. I appreciate that I should go for the Apexi ecu however as stated, its a 94 car and to be quite honest id be weary on spending 1200+ on that ecu.
Im looking for the best and yet safest bang for my buck! The ecu is not the issue its the decat, will it screw my air fuel ratio or anything like that??
[/quote]

Ah right, didnt know that :thumbsup:
Just for the record You can get Simtek with anti-lag on your classic for €1,135 all in and
you can also get Apexi untis on yahoo.co.jp for €650 plus €270 mapping so €920....Mate of mind just did this! :thumbsup:

instead of changing the ECU to the Z4 why not look into ECUtec mapping? Dont put decat on without remap.... It will most likely cause boost spikes thus melting a piston on ya.....
My advice, (same as what i have been told to do) gather up the stuff you want to fit and do it all in the same day (or a day or 2 before) the mapping....
That way the car will know whats there and how to handle it.... Much safer than adding bits and pieces and then inadvertantly causing a major problem for yourself without realising it.....

Hope thats some sort of help fella....

Neil

Cheers lads, I know its not ideal to go tinkering without big money behind me but, im sick of owning a scooby and being terrified of every squeek and rattle!

Want to push power up slightly but safely!

currently in the same position man....
got fmic waiting to be installed
gathering up other parts too,
injectors
full turbo back decat exhaust system
Suspension parts
then next year ill go bigger turbo and a few more bits (uprated oil pump etc)

But once i get the exhaust sorted and the injectors Fuel pump ill be goin dor a full ECU and Remap....

Back