trying to buy a new car?

i was told bye a Ciaran from ASD to buy a older model (pre 08 i think) as the maintenance on the newer engine ones will bye far exceed the tax saving , a shame but seems to be very common and a bad one would break ya
if age isn't a concern buy older or look elsewhere
im sure lots ok but when i was looking too many bad stories to take the risk for me anyway as i needed something that wouldn't be a money pit so I went from looking for 08 and bought 05 for that
reason but i specifically wanted a 5 series so the older plate didn't bother me too much

surely a replaced timing chain on a 2008 one would rectify the problem or are they just fixing it to the way it was before and a failure is inevitable again?

it would make sense if its an engine out job to fix it properly with parts from pre 08?

Or is it a complete engine swap that would need to be done from a pre 08 car to properly fix this problem?

just seems a bit stupid to go through all the hassle of taking the engine out to put in a shite system that will fail again and cost big bucks.

the chains on them go again 70 or 80k after 1st replaced so its like a timing belt replacement - just very expensive lol
locals are doing it for around 1200
problem is that the 520 now is becoming nearly sale proof with all these horror stories going around

i have a 08 530d on new tax bracket if you can stretch your budget a bit

Am I supposed to be able to tell you the mental make up of this person??

It's very simple.. if your in business there is come back, whether it's right wrong, moral or immoral..
You can't sell a car, get a piece of paper signed as sold as seen, trade sale etc etc and think you are free of responsibility..
It doesn't work that way.

You get the wrong person getting the wrong car and you will end up in the sh*t.. very simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you have the correct contract signed then you can not end up in trouble
if you just write sold as seen or some other rubbish then if you get a arsehole you are legally open to anything

If the OP budget is up to €8k for an '08 executive diesel... it should possible to find one within budget (be that a cheap one that you get the work done on, or one with work done and a full warranty).

Personally not a fan of the 320 and 520 d either (engine issues not only thing that plagues them).

A4 / A6 with a 2.0tdi is hit and miss... up to end 09 you can run into issues with oil pump drive key wear (although there were cars during this time fitted with the longer proper drive key for the pump, but no record of what car has what fitted from the factory). If caught in time will still be a 1800 repair at an independent or double that at the stealer as will need oil pump balance shaft unit plus turbo fitted). If not caught in time it is scrap as would need hone, rings, bearings as well. That said, if you have one without symptoms then it will "only" be around 900 lids at an indy to get the oil pump balance shaft unit with the new key fitted as a preventative measure. Nine hundred sounds bad, but worth it for the peace of mind and just something to be taken into account when buying / negotiating!

Of course Mercs have their own issues with their diesel engine of that era with injectors and carbon build up etc, not to speak of the autobox gremlins and general electrical gremlins.

Moral of the story is: if you want a German exec car of around that age, especially with a 2.0 diesel sized engine, you need to buy with a very comprehensive warranty... or so cheap that you have a few grand in the bank to sort it out when it goes wrong.

The bigger engines of all three of those makes are a lot less trouble (6 cylinders diesel from VAG, MB, BMW all pretty strong and way better to drive than the smaller ones... and typically not that much more thirsty). If it was me I would look at an 09 bigger diesel of those makes, as they will just about slip into budget. Check the tax on them though online before buying as there's a huge difference between cars of the same year depending on the map and ignore any VAG 2.7tdi as they were never mapped for the new tax system.

For example (but there will be more if you are patient and look around):
https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-5-series-3-0-litre-diesel/14862032 2008 3.0 diesel tax 750 58k miles and should be on budget after negotiation

if you have the correct contract signed then you can not end up in trouble
if you just write sold as seen or some other rubbish then if you get a arsehole you are legally open to anything

You have missed the point made above by John, if the contract is deemed In court to be immoral, illegal, imposing on your consumer rights, human rights etc etc it's just disregarded... and it will be turned back into the person who drew it up and not be favourable on them..
At the end of it all the basics of it is the same legal consumer rights will stand regardless of whatever is signed or not signed.

Any dealers I am involved with just have a zero tolerance on trade sales, and use the likes of trade car auctions where a 3rd party are responsible for the status of the buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally would advise against diesel altogether.

If you lookup say autotrader.co.uk and search bmw cars in petrol under 185g co2. The petrol ones are not far off diesel mpg wise. And in cheaper tax bracket. With less of headache.

Get a nice 11/12 mondeo ecoboost petrol mode even.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think the only way to have a diesel is new and in warranty.
We always had petrol cars here, we bought an 06 Tucson diesel few years ago and with in 6months the clutch and flywheel fell out of it, egr valve went, dpf went and was very lucky one day I was driving it out of Tesco car park and put foot on brake and brake pedal wouldn't budge.. alternator light came on, the shaft in alternator had broke, meaning that the vacuum pump on back of alternator that assists brakes was gone... I'm just glad it didn't happen to the woman or on the motorway..
We were lucky and it was all under warranty from dealers, but coming to the end of our time with it I'd say either injectors or pump were starting to give trouble..
So went in, and just bought a new Diesel, so we have full warranty.. if no warranty I would go petrol.. as tbh I don't think 80% of diesel owners actually knock up enough mileage or do the type of driving necessary to make a saving over petrol..
You will buy a 520i msport for small money and it will probably work out better in long run over diesel.. I know it won't have the pull of the diesel.

Remember it's the Government that push diesel.... and in general they are always wrong lol

Have a look at the post 2010 Legacy diesel - I've had one for the last 2 years and the only problem was the DPF but I got that sorted.
I work in Dublin and live in Wexford and I'm averaging around 1000Km to a tank and I'm heavy footed.
The cabin and boot are as spacious as a 520 and she's pretty responsive too.
C&R have a 2010 identical to mine for around 9.5k but would probably go lower for a cash deal.

Cheers, P

No it's just the 70 litre tank.
Upon refill if I drive gingerly it gives an estimate of around 1280 Km but with my style of driving in Dublin in tends to go down.
However when driving home to Wexford and on cruise control the estimate improves dramatically.
All in all it averages out at around 1000 Km.

Cheers, P.

I'd still love to be driving my STI or the Hawkeye Wagon but its costing me less than half now on fuel.
Also the tax at €390 for the year is around what I was paying per quarter on the 2.5 litre WRX.
Gormley has a lot to answer for in this country, the plick.
As I mentioned the Legacy sailed thru its second NCT on Sat.

Cheers, P.

1000klm per tank is great going . Is that the newer shape model as the engine reliability of the 2008/2010 model was shocking with crank shafts snapping . Haven't seen any problems with the newer ones so hopefully sorted :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more
Seen him in a Prius few weeks back :jack:

Yeah do you remember he couldn't see what the fuss was about the buses being packed in the morning but it turned out he was traveling in at 10 in the morning when the bus lanes open up partially for a couple of hours and the rest of us are already in work.
The same plonker brought in the €175 chewing gum fine.
He's a guy with real imagination alright.

Cheers, P.

1000klm per tank is great going . Is that the newer shape model as the engine reliability of the 2008/2010 model was shocking with crank shafts snapping . Haven't seen any problems with the newer ones so hopefully sorted :thumbsup:

Yeah she's the 2010 model after they sorted the crank shafts - to be fair everyone I know that suffered had the labour & parts covered by Subaru even outside the warranty.
Here's a link to my post when I got her:

http://www.isdc.ie/forum/showthread.php?40342-Pops-is-back-in-a-Scooby&p=468433#post468433

Cheers, P.

Back