trying to buy a new car?

duffmancb

Sunday Drivers
Hi lads i'm not sure where to post this question and thought you lot on here would have a good idea about it.

Basically went to look at a private car today got there and found out it was a dealership but the car wasn't being sold through the dealership i was told it was taken on a trade in and not sold through dealership because the price would go up a lot more. Can anybody tell me why a dealer would do this just seems a bit odd from his perspective ?

Having said all that the car seemed perfect full service history from manufacturer and all important things done to it in last 10k timing chain etc...

A dealership can't sell a car on a "trade sale" to a member of the public. It can only be sold as trade to a member in the trade. I'd advise the CCPC of what they've said to you.

John. A trade terms sale can be sold to anyone private or trade. Providing you accpet the terms and sign contract/docket etc

Or was a trade in. Staff bought it etc. Then selling on privately.

Perfectly within rights once all parties fully informed.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Possible had issues. As a lot of them 520d had.

And warranty on one of them would not be nice

Possible had issues. As a lot of them 520d had.

And warranty on one of them would not be nice

Yeah i was thinking it was a way to sell it without a warranty. But when i asked about the warranty (because he was connected to the dealership) i'm nearly sure he said he would do a warranty for me

Im not sure what other car comes close to competing for the budget i have, i was considering an A6 around same year but i heard they are worse

John. A trade terms sale can be sold to anyone private or trade. Providing you accpet the terms and sign contract/docket etc

Or was a trade in. Staff bought it etc. Then selling on privately.

Perfectly within rights once all parties fully informed.

I used to think the same but I've a law module in college which is covering this sort of thing next week and we've been given an overview. It's considered an unfair contract term whether applied or written. If it's written, a court will take it out.

Someone in the class gave exactly this example as a question our lecturer said no, it's categorically and absolutely not allowed. If a dealer takes a trade in and it's being sold from their premises then the buyer is 100% protected. Even if the dealer did get them to agree to such terms, in the event of a court case it'll be taken out and the case looked at as if it was a layperson buying from a dealer.

If it's a staff member who bought and selling on, it needs to be advertised as such.

If this car has been advertised from a dealers page/account/contact then they are responsible for the condition of the car being sold to the public.

Anything can be put in a contract, but it would simply be taken out if it went to court.

A dealer would be very foolish to think he is covering himself by selling a car as trade to private buyer.. it doesn't matter what he has signed.. that's an old wives tale, same as sold as seen...
Land yourself in court and see what happens.

terrible engines and very underpowered

older 05 engine was much better but still underpowered

Last edited:
A dealer would be very foolish to think he is covering himself by selling a car as trade to private buyer.. it doesn't matter what he has signed.. that's an old wives tale, same as sold as seen...
Land yourself in court and see what happens.

what sort of a arsehole would buy a car knowing your getting it cheap as a trade sale
and then go to court to get warrenty ?

if you want warrenty then go to somebody thats offering it and pay the extra

its common practice for a main dealer not to retail anything over 5 years old
nothing unusuall about it
only second hand dealers would offer warrenty on car that old
even at that the warrenty offered would be very basic

Last edited:
08 520d or any 520d up to 131 get a warranty. Or a6 I would definitely avoid the 520 .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

trade sale for a reason most of times
i was looking similar and went older because of all the trouble on the later ones
the chain stretches in them and its now on the back of the engine
so engine out 4k main dealer
half or less from indy if all going well
i just bought a low mile 2005 instead and went for the old 6 cylinder as its fairly reliable bar swirl flaps and usual negligence from owners not servicing corectlly , i think if you have the budget go for newer F10 as they should be coming down soon enough with the new model out or buy older one before engine change or different make but all the newer diesels seem to give bother from anyone ive asked thats the impression i got
whats your budget maybe let us know and what your looking for maybe lads may help you find one :thumbsup:

what sort of a arsehole would buy a car knowing your getting it cheap as a trade sale
and then go to court to get warrenty ?

if you want warrenty then go to somebody thats offering it and pay the extra

its common practice for a main dealer not to retail anything over 5 years old
nothing unusuall about it
only second hand dealers would offer warrenty on car that old
even at that the warrenty offered would be very basic

Am I supposed to be able to tell you the mental make up of this person??

It's very simple.. if your in business there is come back, whether it's right wrong, moral or immoral..
You can't sell a car, get a piece of paper signed as sold as seen, trade sale etc etc and think you are free of responsibility..
It doesn't work that way.

You get the wrong person getting the wrong car and you will end up in the sh*t.. very simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trade sale for a reason most of times
i was looking similar and went older because of all the trouble on the later ones
the chain stretches in them and its now on the back of the engine
so engine out 4k main dealer
half or less from indy if all going well
i just bought a low mile 2005 instead and went for the old 6 cylinder as its fairly reliable bar swirl flaps and usual negligence from owners not servicing corectlly , i think if you have the budget go for newer F10 as they should be coming down soon enough with the new model out or buy older one before engine change or different make but all the newer diesels seem to give bother from anyone ive asked thats the impression i got
whats your budget maybe let us know and what your looking for maybe lads may help you find one :thumbsup:

its a shame because one of the reasons was the tax after 08 i was considering it
i'd be at 8k most for budget so i think an f10 will be out the window unless i wait a while

Last edited:
An 08/09 will rattle before the chain goes some of the f10 are breaking chain's with no warning up to 131 I think. S9me are coming from.uk at gud value needing 2k spend to get through a test with discs pads oil seals with out even thinking about the chain trouble. If you know someone selling an 08/09 honestly with chain done probably your best bet.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back