TRUTH or PORKY PIES

Joking aside, top speed mapping on a RR is not a great idea, it cannot replicate the high speed airflow that the car will experience going fast on the road.

Solution, get Andy over on a trackday and map on the road and the track for the best combination.

Il throw my two pence in here for the TMIC........ I got mine mapped by Andy and following a drive to a meet recently and on previous occasions ON A TRACK i have gone off the clock and never ever has the knock level gone over 15 , so to me that would be indicating that a TMIC would be OK

TMIC is absolutely fine unless you're heading much over the 300 mark. After that FMIC is the way to go. As for lag, go for a twin scroll with a 2.5 and FMIC and you can happily have 350-400 with little enough loss to lag.

As against the above, the new Type 25 is putting out well over 400 on a top mount, so it's certainly not impossible.

I'll shut up now, I'm confusing myself.

Lads this very debate is tackled in a very good article in this months Jap Performance magazine.

Basically they took a 03 WRX with a few mods and the standard TMIC and used a temp guage to measure

engine temps, and put it on the rolling road to measure BHP and Torque at afew different boost levels.

They tryed a few aftermarket TMIC's and then fitted the FMIC. The TMIC at idle had a temp 3 times higher

than to FMIC and the FMIC made 20BHP more.

As said if you are looking for power over 300bhp or regular track use then go FMIC.

Eamonn

Has anybody ever try the option of water cooled charge cooling?
Layout20DiagramCRG1.jpg

here is a combi unit from TSL.
http://www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk/newsite/products.php?nav=300000&section=300007&detail=12

Andy's own car a 03 wrx with a td 05 18g and an STI 8 TMIC was putting out 370 bhp and 376 ib/ft of torque beofre he sold it. He said that was the limit of the STI TMIC.

The TYPE 25 has a larger TMIC than the STI 8 TMIC. Also it's a 2.5 so some of the 450 bhp is made by the extra 500 cc's than by boost alone so it doesnt have to run as high boost as a 2.0 would to achieve those figures. This is what allows the TYPE 25 to get away with a TMIC but to achieve anything over 375bhp a FMIC seems to be a must for sub 2.5 engines.

Has anyone fitted the APS FMIC. Apparently it is a custom fit requiring no cutting of the front bumper or sub frame? Sounds great but wait 'till you see the price!

Frawls

I was going to use the APS one. Its only £950 plus VAT RRP so not that bad. The other one I got needs no cutting of bumper and sits further back aswell but costs alot more. The outlet pipes are on the top of the core so the pipe work in the engine bay will only be a few foot which will be great.

that wind deflection issue seems ta make sense so thankfully the lag with the fmic is a myth.does anyone know much about these reverse inlet manifolds and do u need a certain type of fmic for it

Just need custom pipe work and modify your manifold. Roger Clarke have the APS one and then just cut there own pipes up to suit. Most who have done it reckon that although the shorter pipework is a benifit for the hassle to do it the gains arent VERY noticable which is a suprise.

[quote author=Renno555 link=topic=963.msg10720#msg10720 date=1169140468]
Just need custom pipe work and modify your manifold. Roger Clarke have the APS one and then just cut there own pipes up to suit. Most who have done it reckon that although the shorter pipework is a benifit for the hassle to do it the gains arent VERY noticable which is a suprise.

[/quote]

Lateral Performance produce a custom reversed inlet manifold and FMIC with custom piping.

Think Zen and Trackactive also do the reversed manifolds but as Renno said you would want to

be producing serious power to justify the hassle and costs.

Like the look of the APS FMIC, looks like a quality bit of kit.

Eamonn

I deal with Mark in Lateral but the kit doesnt come with any of the piping. Its a radiator and front mount kit.  Ive pics somewhere and its the one in my project thread. Also I dont think they will supply a full reversed manifold. Roger Clarke do but its around 3000 euro.

Damo

that surely is a trick bit of kit niall.i didnt think they were so expensive though and am surprised about the small gains.BUT DOESNT IT LOOK JUST CLASS

Back