Toqure wrench questions. .

Ciaran WRX

ISDC Club Member
Any recommendations for a toqure wrench where to buy what to look out for ect and cost of same

Also anybody know what wheel nuts (turner nuts)
Should be toqued to?...

Cheers
Ciaran.

Aldi torque wrench is perfect. Paid 18euro for mine and it's calibrated every 6months by VW and never fails.
I use it for wheel nuts and cylinder heads every day and it never misses a beat.
3 year warranty too.

teng tools would be what I use Ciaran . Southside motor factors sell them .Wheel nut brand wouldn't make a difference in the torque, just torque them to 90 lb/ft

I have a draper 1 30quid on special offer cant go wrong . I check it off a mates 1 every so often as his is certed :thumbsup:

I have 3 different ones: A Teng, a Gedore and a Halfords advanced (reason for 3x is because they each do a different range)

All 3 makes offer good warranties (as would Snap-on).

One thing to consider is that some manuals state "90Nm +45degrees" or some instruction like that.
What this means is torque to 90Nm and then turn a further 45 degrees after the torque wrench has clicked...
Guessing 45 0r 90 degrees is easy, but not all have easy angles on it like that.
For that reason I would recommend you see if you can find one with a degree/angle indicator, as can make your life a lot easier at times.
Typically they are no dearer... some just have the feature and others don't.

Other handy features:
- ability to "lock" your torque setting (stops setting from changing accidently)
- "reverse" action via a switch rather than pull top out and put in from other side, which is how for example the Halfords lets you reverse the direction (which is a pain as takes time to take socket off, pull pin, reverse insert and put socket back on).
- Dual scale lbs/ft and nm (most have this, but not all)
- At a min you need 2 wrenches... say one from 2nm-40nm and one from 40-200 ish. You cannot expect a wrench with high torque capability to accurately set low torque, so be careful with ones that say they can do low like 15nm and high like 150nm.

I torque my wheels to 120Nm.

half a click of your elbow is 15Nm every one knows that :icon_grin: :icon_grin: very good points but i think he's looking at them just for wheel nuts as officers dont do manual labour :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Good advice as always there from a good bunch of lads recon ill get myself to a halfords today see if they have any of the brands mentioned cheers again

@ Joe anything that makes life easier im up for :goodpost: :multijump:
Reason im thinking this is discovered im missing a turner nut and others weren't exactly tight I tightned em proplery when rotas went on so recon toqure wrench will be safer what to do now buy a whole new set or run without 1 nut or bang on old steel oem nut (which will look shl@#t) :dontknow:

45025728.jpg

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=41451.msg474395#msg474395 date=1397492128]
45025728.jpg

[/quote]

Hehe nice one

:falldownlaugh: funny!

BTW
I always torque wheels cold and then after driving a bit again as temp difference can be enough to loosen nuts / bolts on wheels.

[quote author=Keadeen link=topic=41451.msg474423#msg474423 date=1397504741]

BTW
I always torque wheels cold and then after driving a bit again as temp difference can be enough to loosen nuts / bolts on wheels.
[/quote]

:plusone:

[quote author=Keadeen link=topic=41451.msg474423#msg474423 date=1397504741]

BTW
[/quote]

Ok Charles good advice as always ill be getting that wrench tomorow :thumbsup:

Back