top gear question

mac mac

ISDC Club Member
so over the last couple of weeks the mclaren P1 and only last night the porsche 918 were reviewed . before these two , the last game changer for me seemed to be the veyron (anyone can strap a rocket to a hennessy to do 270 mph) but more the overall package .

so my question is this : which would you have ????

personally seeing the P1 review first , i thought it would be untouchable but then along came the 918 ,seeming to have quite similar top ends in power , 0-60 and lap times of the green hell (even if mclaren are being dicks about it ) . but what changed my mind is not the looks , the power or top speed but the way the porsche does it in a slightly more dignifed manor . for me it just pips the P1 at the line of being able to live with it day to day .

cant wait to see them tested agaionst each other but im sure in typicial top gear fashion it will all be to scripted to get any truth from richard and "jennifer "

ps , can only imagine what 900hp lag free acceleration feels like . bugatti who i ask ...........

so which would you have as of this minute and why ?

porsche all day long looks betters handles better with the 4wd . its grand having 900hp to the rear wheels but what happens when it rains half way through a track day do you just go home in the p1.
maclaren were more concerned with numbers rather that looks and driveability. its an amazing car dont get me wrong but if i had to choose it would be the 918

918 mainly due to having less co2 than a Prius and I would love to go tax my near 900hp super car for the year for 160 euro :)

Sent from my iPhone thingy

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=40980.msg469024#msg469024 date=1393867338]
what happens when it rains half way through a track day do you just go home.

[/quote]

i was thinking the exact same thing , maclaren looks epic but porker would win hands down for me .

Mclaren just seemed 2 much in the wet , way 2 much power to the rears ,

If I had to pick from either it would be the 918 but if I had that type of money to spend on a car it would be the Lamborghini adventador lp700

If I had to buy either it would be mclaren p1, it looks epic, I'm sure the porsche is more sensible.
Dec quoted Walter rohrl before " a car is fast enough when you stand in front of it in the morning and are afraid to unlock it"
That is how I'd feel if I got to drive one

I really like the konigsegg one

images

If you can afford a P1 you can afford a set of wets. Don't see Motorsport stopping with a splash of rain. I was never a fan of the Veyron but I wonder if anyone has ever decatted and remapped that quad turbo monster.

P1 for me. I've never seen all the fuss about Porsche.

Thats just shite bonito so your saying same track same wets on both cars same driver both cars will be the same :ponder2:

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=40980.msg469655#msg469655 date=1394284918]
Thats just shite bonito so your saying same track same wets on both cars same driver both cars will be the same :ponder2:
[/quote]

Where did I say that? Choosing the Porsche over the P1 in case it rains at a trackday is a silly way to base a decision if they like both.

Look at Subarus. Some people house them purely for AWD. Some purely for the burble. Some purely for the looks of certain models.

Whatever about the performance aspects of the Porsche, the looks or noise of one has never made me want one in any model. Hence why between the two I'd have the P1 which is what Mac Mac asked. Looking at them as weapons do chasing track times in the wet is a different kettle of fish and if that's all the buyer is interested in, there's other marquees out there that'd fit that bill better than both the P1 and the Porsche.

The idea behind the P1 is the motorsporting pedigree but while also allowing the car to take you home.

P1 all the way !!! . Chris harris can drive and he was super impressed by this car .
He has my vote .

Back