Subaru Wheel Noise - wheel bearings gone?

geogan

Petrolheads

The other day there was suddenly very loud grinding/screeching noise coming from rear of car which seemed to be happening once per wheel revolution (only at a certain point in revolution) ie quiet for half the wheel turn and then very scraping noise for other half. The faster the wheels turn the faster the start/stop grinding/scraping noise. At motorway speeds it just sounds continuous but not as loud as when slowly moving through traffic in town. And ideas what cause is? Wheel hub bearings?

If so is this an expensive job to fix?

Could very well be brake shoes as the rear disc actually contains a drum within it’s bell for a cable operated hand brake.

That noise is as al said hand brake shoes . The play your looking at is the backlash in the rear diff .
if you load that corner up on a bend does it sound a good bit louder than just driving In a straight Line .

Usually it’s a build up of corrosion and the drum part of the disc is making contact with the back plate, you can skim 2mm off the drum part and refit usually solves it , could be an indication of play in a bearing also but hard to diagnose unless it really bad

Just an update on this...

I had to go on a long drive today on motorway (30mins each way) and on way down there was no noise at all - thought it was gone for good....

...until the last exit from motorway and then it suddenly started grinding very badly from back of car - and continued all the way for next 10 minutes until I reached destination.

The thing is, it sounded like it was coming from right rear, and not left rear which is what this video shows.

When I stopped, I got out and inspected the right rear and sure enough, the disc and hub were both red hot from friction.

I checked left rear and it was normal temperature!

So the problem is on the wheel that I initially suspected (right rear), but as seen in video looked OK.

And the funny thing is, after I started driving again after this inspection, there was NO noise again. For entire motorway home. Maybe a slight rumble at most I felt.

I recorded sound of that extreme grinding noise going round a roundabout into a town - I'll try and get it up here

Here is the grinding noise... bit muffled in recording.

Recorded by just holding my iPhone in hand and recording video. Over normal road noise you can hear grinding. It sounded extremely loud in the cabin. Felt like something was going to fall off, and metal whacking against metal every so often, like thuds as one metal cleared another bump.

I noticed it completely stopped for a split second as car went over a speed bump on road in town.

Sounds like a failed bearing and the noise is loud either that or the rear caliper is sticking and the Pad is down to the metal in the disc . But I’m guessing you would have noticed that

Sounds like a failed bearing and the noise is loud either that or the rear caliper is sticking and the Pad is down to the metal in the disc . But I’m guessing you would have noticed that

Brake pads are brand new Brembo originals I only put in there in 2019 in all four wheels. So its definitely not worn brake pads!

Seems whatever problem with the bearing is intermittent - as I said could go weeks and miles with no noise and then suddenly that grinding, then stop the car for a few minutes and drive again and the noise is gone again - strange.

Anyway looking online it seems changing rear bearings in a Subaru is not a job for average Joe (with all that pressing in / out that needs to be done) or is it possible to but an entire unit. How much does it cost for garage to do this?

It’s not the bearing if it going and then nothing . There either gone or not Need to remove the rear disc that’s making noise and see is it the handbrake shoes after slipping or a spring broke that was holding them . .
Ye removing the hub can be a pain and would need a new hub bolt and nut to be sure as sometimes they don’t come out easy

Checking if the noise increases if the car is driven in reverse gear or hand brake slightly applied may also indicate brake shoes de-laminating or other associated problem,
Well worth removing the combined disc / drum for a look.

Checking if the noise increases if the car is driven in reverse gear or hand brake slightly applied may also indicate brake shoes de-laminating or other associated problem,
Well worth removing the combined disc / drum for a look.

I was driving yesterday and did some tests with handbrake - I'm beginning to think it IS some handbrake related issue.... when I slightly lifted the handbrake while there was a grinding noise while driving slowly, the noise stopped or got quieter. And I noticed strange clanking when slowly reversing after the handbrake had been fully engaged.

I was driving yesterday and did some tests with handbrake - I'm beginning to think it IS some handbrake related issue.... when I slightly lifted the handbrake while there was a grinding noise while driving slowly, the noise stopped or got quieter. And I noticed strange clanking when slowly reversing after the handbrake had been fully engaged.
Are you able to work on the car yourself?
You could take the rear calipers off and remove the rear discs (they will only come off with the handbrake down and you might need to screw a m8 x 1.25 bolt in to free it from the hub if it seized onto it .
Once off you’ll be able to see the issue straight away if it’s the handbrake shoes .

If you’re not able to diy , maybe it’s time to book it in somewhere.

Are you able to work on the car yourself?
You could take the rear calipers off and remove the rear discs (they will only come off with the handbrake down and you might need to screw a m8 x 1.25 bolt in to free it from the hub if it seized onto it .
Once off you’ll be able to see the issue straight away if it’s the handbrake shoes .

If you’re not able to diy , maybe it’s time to book it in somewhere.
Yeah, I mean I can do some DIY jobs... those not requiring major tools or equipment... like change the brake calipers on that previously. But as you know the problem with rusty, seized parts it can be a total PITA to get parts apart as cars age. I will have a look on youtube and see if there is any examples of checking handbrakes shoes.

If it that, then it is most likely damage caused when that stupid b**** reversed her car into the back of mine a few years ago with enough force to shunt the car forward six inches even with full handbrakes on. I was thinking at the time that it couldn't be good for brakes - should have included that check in insurance claim!

But at least it is easier to fix handbrake related problem than having to replace a seized wheel bearing hub.

Last edited:
It’s probably a broken spring or pin that holds the shoes in place that’s after rusting out it coming loose . So unless your handy and can do the springs and stuff yourself you’d be better off. Bringing it to some one that can do it .

Back