Subaru Info please

Stevo87

Well everyone... I'm new on here (my intro is in the intro section)

On the luck out for my first Scooby at the moment not that i'm 25 and finally can get insured on one :)

I'm like the thoughts of either a Wrx or a Legacy B4..

Could anyone give me an idea what to look out for? the do's and dont's and reliability etc :)

Any help is much appreciated...

they're all very reliable...
wrx are very very slow. slower than you think they would be. overrated imo.
at least go for a wrx sti and remap it. better for urban driving as they move faster than legacy's.

legacy's are lovely and quick at the top end but they're not urban cars. heavy on fuel then.
but very comfortable, spacious, good looking cars. cheaper than the impreza's and a chunk quicker top end.

defo wouldnt get anything under 2002... just not worth buying old cars anymore.

you HAVE to mind your scooby. the right oil and punctual oil changes are COMPULSORY.
if you get a japanese car you HAVE to remap it for irish fuel and dont get sh*t fuel.
always go for good quality fuel like e5 applegreen and some maxols (not all of them are good anymore...)
DONT do rings in them lol. they dont like that sorta' scutting.

Thanks very much for the reply...

I'm OCD about all my cars.... lol like everything fresh and perfect.. :) and as for doing rings.... not my thing....

I'm looking for something to get started in subaru's.. so looking to spend round 2 - 2.5k... :)

same as myself! (im over in subaruforester.org with projects thread lol)
ah no im only joking about the rings bit, they just really dont like that ha.

well it depends, are you after something quick? or just a general start to subaru's?
i'd know the perfect car (i looked at it a while ago, its a member's ex-car) but its a wrx and slow as hell.
it had a full engine rebuild and truly is an amazing genuine car. but over your budget
http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4251140

legacy's would be well in your budget, as would SF foresters, but again, they're getting old and are slow-ish...
http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4311443
http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4273752
etc etc...?

I drove a Uk Wrx sunday night... standard wrx with a prodrive pack and i thought it was very fast...

are they really that slow standard? What are the B4's like? Surely they cant be slow @ 280bhp

Bear in mind the quickest car i had yet was a Nissan Pulsar Vzr so this is all new to me.. i like that B4 in waterford... I'm not a very hard driver.... i just tip around with the odd blast every now and then :)

well a prodrive is quick, but didnt think you'd consider one, as they are expensive.
yes they are. ok, i come from a fast car background but they are genuinely EXTREMELY slow. my bf will confirm that..
he drives a legacy. they are quick, but only top end. they are nippy on the small turbo but fast on the big one. that
only comes into the game at 60mph+ though really... for tipping around the legacy would be heavy on fuel, but the
"odd blast" would be way more worth it than with a wrx impreza! you'd be blasting that and not going anywhere lol.
i think you should test drive a legacy, or get someone to give you a ride in one so you get an impression, and the same
with the wrx. i wouldnt go buying anything unless you were sure what your after. the best way is to ask someone for
a ride. i wouldnt go test driving stuff either as you wouldnt know if there was a problem with a car unless you knew how
it should drive for you. if i were you id ask nicely a few people on here maybe to meet up for a chat and a spin. it should
help you decide!

[quote author=Neelie link=topic=36445.msg417302#msg417302 date=1355852800]
they're all very reliable...
wrx are very very slow. slower than you think they would be. overrated imo.
at least go for a wrx sti and remap it. better for urban driving as they move faster than legacy's.

legacy's are lovely and quick at the top end but they're not urban cars. heavy on fuel then.
but very comfortable, spacious, good looking cars. cheaper than the impreza's and a chunk quicker top end.

defo wouldnt get anything under 2002... just not worth buying old cars anymore.

you HAVE to mind your scooby. the right oil and punctual oil changes are COMPULSORY.
if you get a japanese car you HAVE to remap it for irish fuel and dont get sh*t fuel.
always go for good quality fuel like e5 applegreen and some maxols (not all of them are good anymore...)
DONT do rings in them lol. they dont like that sorta' scutting.
[/quote]
I have a standard wrx, only mod is a powerflow back box....far from slow I can tell ya mate ! :angry1:

B4's are not that bad on fuel-I've owned two. I've also owned a DC2 type-r,a DC5 type-r,and an Evo VI amongst others. The B4 doesn't use half as much fuel as the evo and is much the same as the DC5

Thanks very much....

Yea i like the Legacy B4's... most of my driving is cruising anyway.... wouldnt be a whole lot of city / town driving..... I know the fella that has that wrx i had for a spin.. i thought it was very fast... it's not an sti... it's just a wrx with a prodrive pack.... :)

I'l have a look more into the B4's... Thanks very much for all the help :thumbsup:

thats just my opinion axel... i found them very slow... sorry. not like its personal lol. chill.

edit; @b4 soon; oh i know they're grand on fuel as long as you stay out traffic and stop and go.
i've had s-bodies and evo3 and the evo was a monster on fuel ha. s-bodies were small bit better
than the scooby's BUT also half the cars than the scoobys are.

i've driven 2 UK wrx (owned one of them) and both were painfully slow.... sorry guys lol.

stevo, if i were you, honestly id get some spins in a few more scoobies... different imprezas, b4's fozzys etc.
as many spins as you can get. it'll give you a huge insight into them and you'll get loads of ideas and also
experience on how they should drive. it'll help when buying ;-) and i say that as a car enthusiast, not as a
scooby head (caus im pretty much a n00b compared to some on here) but no matter what someone says on
the internetz and in this thread, you cant "feel" the car described through a keyboard!

Neelie
UK cars are a turbo 2000 not a wrx....
Wrx (jap imports) come in anywhere from 240 -280 bhp depending on model
UK turbos are around 218bhp as far as i remember

Wrx's are not a slow car!!!!

Edit(open to correction on UK turbo power levels)

UK turbos cannot reach the same power levels as jap imports with same mods either

^^^ im talking about the uk cars hammie, sorry for any confusion. my bad

my impreza was 208bhp iirc, and yeah, slow... then drove a 2001 wrx (218bhp i think?) and yes, it was very slow again.
i know my slow and fast cars, and i just was not impressed with neither of these... now have a fozzy at 222bhp and its
nippy thanks to a boost controller and a good map but wouldnt call it fast either. although its faster than the 2001 i drove.

[quote author=Neelie link=topic=36445.msg417323#msg417323 date=1355862719]
^^^ im talking about the uk cars hammie, sorry for any confusion. my bad

my impreza was 208bhp iirc, and yeah, slow... then drove a 2001 wrx (218bhp i think?) and yes, it was very slow again.
i know my slow and fast cars, and i just was not impressed with neither of these... now have a fozzy at 222bhp and its
nippy thanks to a boost controller and a good map but wouldnt call it fast either. although its faster than the 2001 i drove.
[/quote]
And out of the 3 there you mention the classic was probably the fastest due to being the lightest imo

I thought they were very slow, both of them... Just my opinion and feeling.
The fozzy isn't fast either but its exactly what I need atm and its a project heading for 300+bhp lol.

any uk spec car will be slower due to emmissions regulations thanks to our friends in brussels :wall:
im on my second uk spec wrx wagon, first was a classic few small mods 276bhp very quick car for a wrx. the one i have now is a bug wrx 01 same mods as the classic which were remap for 95 octane fuel ,full exhaust ,decat downpipe ,induction kit ,walbro pump ,etc and this one is 261bhp .when i bought the bug it was completely standard i bought it in bradford uk so when i test drove it i was in the city and could only listen for noises etc but i bought it as it was 1 owner low miles leather etc ,everything i was lookin for but on the way back to the boat out on the open road i was discussted to say the least i had just sold my classic wagon and i taught the bug was the slowest heap of sh*t i had ever driven but once the work was done i loved it ever since. basically my long winded point is any euro car will feel slow till you have all the bullshit taken off them and have them mapped and moded then they are great cars as they are very reliable

if your just going to be cruising around motorways etc, maybe the legacy would be a better choice, bit more comfort than the impreza's not usre how much of a car you will get for 2-2.5k though, as im sure it will need a bit of money put into it to get it the way you want, at that end of the price range. And if its been in Ireland for a few years and is a jap car and hasnt already been mapped, i dont think there is much point in mapping it, as the damage is already done probably, fresh import and its probably worth the money in getting remapped to irish fuel. ill bring you for a spin in my legacy if you want, im sure there is a few lads on here that will let you see the potential of various models your considering

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4285598

So i was onto the guy about this car...... he told me that he's not sure if the car was mapped or not... could have been done from previous owners and the timing belt was done at 142kms.... he never done the clutch either as he never had the need too... wopuld this be a "stay away" car?

If the car was mapped he would know. If he says he isn't sure, then it's not mapped.
Looks a nice car from the pictures though.

He said he doesnt know.. but it runs fine on irish petrol... is there any way i can find out if it's mapped?

Ring previous owner? But if someone spent that amount of money mapping a car, they would have used it as a selling point. I would be very surprised of it was mapped. Irish petrol or Maxol E5? If he didn't specifically mention E5 then he is probably just driving around in an unmapped car on 95 octane tesco fuel.

Back