STI Start-up issues

JDM879

ISDC Club Member
Hi lads,

Been having trouble recently on start up with my STI. She's a 2005 UK Spec Blob. I recently had the battery replaced as I thought that was the issue but I am still having problems with it, was wondering if anyone would have any ideas as to what it might be, any feedback appreciated.
I will attach a video here of me starting it up, it does bite eventually but you can hear it struggling.
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 373433635_6690228174361156_6629063598353798093_n.mp4

It throwing any codes?

Usual suspects maf plugs or fuel coils?

Can u hear pump prime how long is it im car..

When were the plugs changed last ? Or the pump replaced
And was it driving ok then started acting funny

It throwing any codes?

Usual suspects maf plugs or fuel coils?

Can u hear pump prime how long is it im car..
Hey, had it serviced a few weeks ago and wasn't throwing any codes as of then, I'd say the plugs or the pump could be the problem alright as I'd say pump hasnt been replaced in a long time, I will have a listen for the pump priming next time I start her up, thanks for the feedback (y)

When were the plugs changed last ? Or the pump replaced
And was it driving ok then started acting funny
Yeah the plugs and pump haven't been replaced in a good while I'd say, I've only had the car a few months but I don't think the previous owner had done them. These could be my first port of call for solving by the looks of the replies here.
It was starting up okay when I first got it and then this issue starting happening

If your not 100% sure on service history on the car, and I mean not just taking some tip ex writing or sticker for granted you would want to be careful, timing moving slightly off can make these slow to start.. tensioners do fail, both slowly and suddenly, lots of times it’s only the belt that’s replaced and not the idlers….. I thought I could hear a Whistling sound after start up like an air leak… but it’s very hard to know with video audio. What part of country are you in?

If your not 100% sure on service history on the car, and I mean not just taking some tip ex writing or sticker for granted you would want to be careful, timing moving slightly off can make these slow to start.. tensioners do fail, both slowly and suddenly, lots of times it’s only the belt that’s replaced and not the idlers….. I thought I could hear a Whistling sound after start up like an air leak… but it’s very hard to know with video audio. What part of country are you in?
Hey, yes I agree, I was given very little related to service history when I bought the car which wasn't ideal at all. I knew previous owner hadn't done the timing belt so that was one of the first things I had done on it when I got it.
Got it done by Mark Murphy in Douglas who is usually good, I know he had to replace 1 idler pulley and 1 deflector pulley so it wasn't just the belt that got done.
I am in West Cork myself, Clonakilty.

Hey, yes I agree, I was given very little related to service history when I bought the car which wasn't ideal at all. I knew previous owner hadn't done the timing belt so that was one of the first things I had done on it when I got it.
Got it done by Mark Murphy in Douglas who is usually good, I know he had to replace 1 idler pulley and 1 deflector pulley so it wasn't just the belt that got done.
I am in West Cork myself, Clonakilty.
Well at least I’ve diagnosed your flu lol.
Did this start happening all of a sudden or after some work had been done?
I would always replace the tensioner and all the idlers as a complete set, I would hope he replaced them all when at it.

Well at least I’ve diagnosed your flu lol.
Did this start happening all of a sudden or after some work had been done?
I would always replace the tensioner and all the idlers as a complete set, I would hope he replaced them all when at it.
It started happening suddenly, wasnt after work being done, I'd say I'll follow up about the tensioners and idlers with him so, and get the fuel pump and maf plugs looked at while I'm at it, those would be the main things to watch out for for issues with start up would they?

Just tried her again there and pumping the accelerator when trying to start it gets it to fire up quicker, would that suggest fuel pump is the issue?

Car off key to stand by position before start (lights on dash like below20230828_052757-01.jpeg) ....should hear a bout 3 sec wirrr that's the fuel pump priming can you hear it...

Just tried her again there and pumping the accelerator when trying to start it gets it to fire up quicker, would that suggest fuel pump is the issue?
It could yes but it also could be something else . But it haven’t put a pump on it them a new 1 would be a good idea there only 120 quid and about 1-2 hours to do

Yep, not hearing it prime so I'm thinking that could be it, will get looking for a new one as its probably worth replacing anyway, thanks lads

Back