Sti converted wrx

hawkeye_andy

(Apologies if I asked this question on the wrong thread)
Hi guys I’m basically new to the whole Subaru thing and I’m looking at buying a 2003 and plus Impreza wrx. But long story short I ended up going to look at a 2006 Hawkeye that’s been fully sti converted (2.0 short block) ( 6 speed sti gearbox and diff)
The car had a massive list of mods. The problem I’m having is the current owner isn’t the one who built the car and he severely lacks any knowledge about the car (He seemed like a very decent chap tho in fairness and I do genuinely think he only likes it cause it’s fast lol). The car is meth injected as well. It’s been sitting up for 8 months aswell. I drove it and had a good look around it it seemed okay but is there anyone in this group that can give me advice on the car.I’m not too familiar with jap cars as I’ve always wanted one but couldn’t afford it here in Ireland (most of my cars have been German). I’m fairly mechanically minded so I can check the basics and listen out for any sounds that shouldn’t be there. I’ll post the spec list and pictures of the car even if someone recognises the car and can tell me more about it. Or if someone can come with me to have another look at the car I’ll take care of you for your time.
Thank you

Attachments

• CDC3F9B9-FC7B-4F1A-BD6D-EEE9C5406BEA.png
    CDC3F9B9-FC7B-4F1A-BD6D-EEE9C5406BEA.png
    2 MB · Views: 51
  • 13710277-86DE-490F-94B8-72CC08DE2C25.png
    13710277-86DE-490F-94B8-72CC08DE2C25.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 3E4B43A0-C652-450C-8D17-03435C89075F.png
    3E4B43A0-C652-450C-8D17-03435C89075F.png
    4 MB · Views: 33
  • 8D5FF868-96A7-4E25-B88D-9B8B24655AE2.png
    8D5FF868-96A7-4E25-B88D-9B8B24655AE2.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 087B28DE-3775-48C2-AF88-FC1C7E33E06D.png
    087B28DE-3775-48C2-AF88-FC1C7E33E06D.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Pretty sure it was a members car, Steve something.. only a member briefly tho.. was a good car when he had it, but that was a few years ago.
Forged shortblock and all that I believe. If maintained right, it should be good. Not that long since it was built, but you'd never know with different owners in between.

I think it is, steve had a silver hawk, sti short block, met injection, dccd map box etc so I'd say it's the same one

PM hassan, his friend Steve from authority Africa built it, jap wrx from memory, saw it in action at runway club, serious performance from it

Thanks everyone for the replies I’ll get on to hassen about it. I was certain the car was built well it’s just I think it’s been two years since the car was sold from Steve so need to make sure it’s still the same 😂. Also I had to fix a fuel line before the owner drove away when I went to look at it as it blew so it didn’t fill me with confidence. Car has a weird idle where it fluctuates as well but I think it’s just the maf sensor. One other thing is I noticed the clutch on the car is quite high ( the biting point) is that normal for subies. Apologies if I sound like a gimp asking these questions just need to make sure it’s still a good car.

Biting point should be low so could need a clutch
Shouldn’t have a bad idle really but could be the meth map

Also just wanted to ask if anyone’s Able to come with me to look at the car for me please pm me I’ll throw some money for the time. Thank you guys

Where is the car? Be a help for lads to know. I wouldn't really be much benefit, as I'd be looking for someone to come with me too if I was buying lol

Hi.

Got your pm and thought I'll put the information here so that others can get it too.

I'd you've never had a subaru before and not familiar with water methanol injection on such engines, I wouldn't recommend this car for your first Subaru as you need to understand how it all comes together and able to fix it yourself. This was my good friend Stephen's car and we built it together. From the knowledge we acquired from it, we built my car which runs on a very similar setup but pushed even further. I gather John the current owner has had it for a while and he is selling it. Respectfully, I don't think there's any mechanics that would take on the job of working on a water meth injected subaru as this one. It's complex, not for the faint hearted and we learnt by our mistakes when we were building it. Took over 5 years to get it in to the current format. I am not sure how it's been maintained since and it'll need a thorough top to bottom check by someone who understands the setup. Sadly myself and Stephen both have ongoing projects and won't be able to help you out with viewing it.

It was an awesome car when Stephen had it and pushed around 460 ish bhp and over 400 ft lbs torque at the crank. Everything done to it was built with the best parts and it's super quick. I wish it would be put back on the road to its former glory because we had such great adventures in that car😊

Hi.

Got your pm and thought I'll put the information here so that others can get it too.

I'd you've never had a subaru before and not familiar with water methanol injection on such engines, I wouldn't recommend this car for your first Subaru as you need to understand how it all comes together and able to fix it yourself. This was my good friend Stephen's car and we built it together. From the knowledge we acquired from it, we built my car which runs on a very similar setup but pushed even further. I gather John the current owner has had it for a while and he is selling it. Respectfully, I don't think there's any mechanics that would take on the job of working on a water meth injected subaru as this one. It's complex, not for the faint hearted and we learnt by our mistakes when we were building it. Took over 5 years to get it in to the current format. I am not sure how it's been maintained since and it'll need a thorough top to bottom check by someone who understands the setup. Sadly myself and Stephen both have ongoing projects and won't be able to help you out with viewing it.

It was an awesome car when Stephen had it and pushed around 460 ish bhp and over 400 ft lbs torque at the crank. Everything done to it was built with the best parts and it's super quick. I wish it would be put back on the road to its former glory because we had such great adventures in that car😊
Cheers for the reply. I get you not recommending it to me haha but the problem is I do really like the car haha. I’m sure it was a very well built car it’s just again man it’s been with another owner for 2 years and we don’t know how it’s been taken care of. I remember I was having a look under the bonnet and John said to me he doesent really have a clue about the car mechanically wise it made my heart drop. John is a lovely person had a good chat with him very easy to deal with but I told him I need to make sure the cars alright. The clutch, the fluctuating idle and the howling noise makes me think she needs a very good service of all oils. Needs a few other things on top of that. Noticed the boot on the left side was very very damp aswell.

Cheers for the reply. I get you not recommending it to me haha but the problem is I do really like the car haha. I’m sure it was a very well built car it’s just again man it’s been with another owner for 2 years and we don’t know how it’s been taken care of. I remember I was having a look under the bonnet and John said to me he doesent really have a clue about the car mechanically wise it made my heart drop. John is a lovely person had a good chat with him very easy to deal with but I told him I need to make sure the cars alright. The clutch, the fluctuating idle and the howling noise makes me think she needs a very good service of all oils. Needs a few other things on top of that. Noticed the boot on the left side was very very damp aswell.

As long as you know and understand fully this will be a working project that will require time and money. Also, the complexity of the water meth setup is not straight forward. Ste was actually at my house when you called him and you have to remember that he's been doing water meth powered cars for about 15 years or more. He makes it sounds easy when it's not really, and I say this with the best of intentions. I learnt the hard way how much effort it takes to make it all work properly without blowing up the engine. If you have time, go through my blog as you'll get a sense of the trials and tribulations of making that work.

If you do get it back to its glory days, it's a kick ass car that you'll enjoy 😍

As long as you know and understand fully this will be a working project that will require time and money. Also, the complexity of the water meth setup is not straight forward. Ste was actually at my house when you called him and you have to remember that he's been doing water meth powered cars for about 15 years or more. He makes it sounds easy when it's not really, and I say this with the best of intentions. I learnt the hard way how much effort it takes to make it all work properly without blowing up the engine. If you have time, go through my blog as you'll get a sense of the trials and tribulations of making that work.

If you do get it back to its glory days, it's a kick ass car that you'll enjoy 😍
Cheers hassen I’ve come to the decision I’ll probably leave it because I can’t risk buying the car the state it’s in now as too much money risk involved I’m a fairly young lad so I can’t be taking risks like that. I’m going to call up John anyways I’ll just tell him what I know at this stage and give him a offer that I think it’s fair with the amount of foreseeing work the car would need as it’s been out of action for so long.

Back