Steering wobble

[quote author=eliroche link=topic=35965.msg412096#msg412096 date=1350815559]
Got work done in Coby Auto's on an M3 years ago before I got into Subaru's, good lads there, owner had a lovely cosworth last time!
[/quote]He has a serious white 09 rs focus now

[quote author=KENC link=topic=35965.msg412098#msg412098 date=1350816263]
Go out and swap wheels Dan and don't be so lazy :)

[/quote]

i know, i know, the wheels are in storage on the other side of the city! im just being lazy alright!

I just read your old thread Dan

You had swapped complete wheels and tyres and you had no wobble with the 17s so you narrowed it down to your 18" rims of tyres

Now you have new tyres on the 18s and wobble is still there.............
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo???????????

Come on Dan almost there, breath. 1 2 3. And think :) :)

ill swap them over again just to be 100% sure. If it is a problem with the 18's they have been like that since new so i have either went to 4-5 places that cannot balance wheels to save their life or the wheels are fucked from the factory!!

[quote author=KENC link=topic=35965.msg412100#msg412100 date=1350817236]
I just read your old thread Dan

You had swapped complete wheels and tyres and you had no wobble with the 17s so you narrowed it down to your 18" rims of tyres

Now you have new tyres on the 18s and wobble is still there.............
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo???????????

Come on Dan almost there, breath. 1 2 3. And think :) :)
[/quote]

:roll:

For example dan, if one of the wheel centres is bigger that the others, this wheel will still balance perfect as the clamp on balancing machine is coned to suit varying diameters, that's just one example, I was a bit confused in your post where you said you took care to centre up the wheels perfect on the hub, this shouldn't be necessary Dan, they should only fit the one way and that's perfect. Anything else and you have a problem

Actually Ken you could be on to something. Dan did you get spigot rings for the wheels?

so i put on the 17's with the winter tyres and there is little to no vibration through the steering. So need to get the other wheels checked for buckles etc. anyone know a good place that can do that for me around Dublin? Might be easier for me to do it while the wheels are still off the car, just drop them off somewhere for a few days to get checked over

i went to roundabout tyres and they said there was no buckles in any of the wheels but one of the front and one of the rears were out by a few grams. I fit them back on later and see if it made a difference to the wobble, hopefully its gone, otherwise its time to look at the suspension :(

so i still have a wobble through the steering with the 18" wheels back on. what should i be checking now. All i can think of so far:

1. Wheel bearing
2. Steering rack bushings
3. bent tie rod end
4. worn ball joint

answers on a postcard

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=35965.msg413687#msg413687 date=1352156282]
so i still have a wobble through the steering with the 18" wheels back on. what should i be checking now. All i can think of so far:

1. Wheel bearing
2. Steering rack bushings
3. bent tie rod end
4. worn ball joint

answers on a postcard
[/quote]

Stupid question but is there water in the wheels

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=35965.msg413689#msg413689 date=1352156823]
how would i check for that!?
[/quote]

Take the tires off

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=35965.msg413689#msg413689 date=1352156823]