steering prob legacy B4

rustynuts

Sunday Drivers
HEY lads i was wondering could any body help me with this

When im driving straight the steering wheel is slightly off to the left

When i fully lock to the right and then straighten up the steering wheel is off to the right but after a few minor bends

the steering wheel goes back to being off to the left

brought it to one mechanic and he said it might be power steering pump :ponder:

and another mechanic said it might be the steering rack :ponder2:

but neither lads could look at it

could anybody help with .........................or tell me where i would find a good mechanic that knows about B4s near Ennis/Cork area??

THANKS LADS..................

would seriously doubt the pump is the problem!!!!
have to start with the obvious things like tyre pressures,tyre condition,steering components and suspension related parts....
if all is ok...get the car tracked!!!

You mean the steering wheel is off to the left when you are driving in a straight line? Could just be the tracking

yea i tried to get it tracked but th e man said he couldnt do it cause when he straightened up the wheels and then took it for a test drive it was off again.................and i dont think it is cause he is sh*t at his job

but im thinking more loose or damaged steering rack

but thanks for the help lads

well i wont be having a look at it anytime soon

as i was driving to work i over took a slow :angry1: on a driving 50 km/h

solid white line so the garda pulled me over and since my tax was out

they took my car :icon_cry:

only got the tax book on wed so hope to get the tax on her buy next wed

then i can take it back.............with a coupla fines aswell :icon_hang:

Are you only after buying the car? They cant do that, can they? Get it out of there asap or they'll charge you a fortune for storage

i was talking to a garda i know and its....

€135 for the fooker to drive it away

€35 per night
:icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry:
but sure fook it lesson learned :subaru:

unlucky man, see people doing that everyday but never seen any one stopped for it :wall:

Bad luck fella, you can take the car on a trailer i think, might save you storage.

ask the guard who drove it does he know whats wrong with the steering :icon_grin:

[quote author=rustynuts link=topic=14589.msg180613#msg180613 date=1240520200]
yea i tried to get it tracked but th e man said he couldnt do it cause when he straightened up the wheels and then took it for a test drive it was off again.................and i dont think it is cause he is sh1t at his job

but im thinking more loose or damaged steering rack

but thanks for the help lads

[/quote]

Just got my steering pump and rack replaced 2 weeks ago. 600 notes for parts and labour. (parts ripped out of a crashed B4 )

At first it started with loose steering , nearly had to turn the steering wheel 360 degrees to make a simple turn. Then the steering got really heavy.
So brought to a mate who's handy with performance cars and he done the work for me.
The wheel is sill slightly off center but I'm happy I can turn the wheel and the car actually turns now.
If I were you I would get it tracked proper on a machine that has the Leggy programme in it. It makes a big difference believe me.

Back