Speaker opinions

Eoinmack

Webmasters
Staff member
ISDC Club Member
Right lads, speaker recommendations please 🙏

Wanna keep it all factory, so don't wanna have to remove the mesh covers or anything as I see some lads doing in order to fit bigger speakers, so what kinda speakers are best to stick in a 2004 Impreza?
If tis relevant, it's for heavy metal music, so nothing with too much treble or anything, nice bass speakers... heavy riffs and double bass 🤘🤘
Reason for asking, is I know with the 5" speakers in the front, tis hard to get that bass out of them, so what are you guys using?

You need to fit speaker brackets to the front like these or similar (probably find on amazon or aliexpress etc.)

So You can fit 5-1/4" (13cm) size speaker

After that just buy a good make id think ,very little difference in the main brands I would imagine its the head unit doing the rest.

Cheers Colm
Do the brackets not make the speaker stick out more and touch the door card tho? Has to be a slim magnet at the back too if I recall...

Yeah yeah I get you.
Thats what I'm trying to avoid, smaller speakers are very high pitched tbh.
I'll have a look on ebay and see if I can get some very slim adaptors, should do the job 👌

I had a good set in my old blob fitted in behind door cards with spacers might be in my blog but needed to change rears aswell have a set here just standard that I never put in. last headunit was gone so new one made sound better. But couldn't hear much with nurspec buzzing away really

Haha true that, yeah, will upgrade all 4, and tweeters, and get a nice sub in the boot too. I do like my music lol
As sheriff said above, something like JBL or Bose maybe. Test drove an RX8 before and the Bose sound system in those is brilliant to be honest.
Will see whats available 👌
Do you need adaptors for the rears also?

The adapters for the front doors are fairly thick but it fits behind the door card perfect, I have adapters with JBL speakers and an active JBL sub in the boot and don't need the rear speakers at all. You just gotta make sure the front speakers aren't too deep, otherwise your window will hit the speaker when you put the window down.

I think I'll try get rears anyway, may as well when everything else will be changed over with it. Save me having to buy them in future if I just get em swapped over 😎

Haha true that, yeah, will upgrade all 4, and tweeters, and get a nice sub in the boot too. I do like my music lol
As sheriff said above, something like JBL or Bose maybe. Test drove an RX8 before and the Bose sound system in those is brilliant to be honest.
Will see whats available 👌
Do you need adaptors for the rears also?
Surprised the rx8 started to listen to the Bose speakers 🤣

I put a pioneer dounble din in the wagon and got a crowd to fit 4 kicker speakers in place of the standard ones and transformed the sound .
I put sound deadening in the doors aswell and this improved the bass and road noise

Oh great idea the deadening man. Will get some too. As I said, high volume isn't an issue, just good sound quality, but will help to avoid any vibrations anyway so will add it to the list.

Would it be an awful surprise if I told you....I didn't buy...cause she woulsnt start the second time lol

Surprised the rx8 started to listen to the Bose speakers 🤣

I put a pioneer dounble din in the wagon and got a crowd to fit 4 kicker speakers in place of the standard ones and transformed the sound .
I put sound deadening in the doors aswell and this improved the bass and road noise
That sound deadening is great stuff though baz

Go read the first few pages in my blog as it covers the speakers/adaptors and the section about me sound deadening the whole car will tell you all the materials you'll need. I have the template for the front speaker adaptors and you can make it using birch plywood which is resistant to moisture/water.

I also covered the section about subwoofer and not bothering with rear speakers. You'll have all the answers you'll need to get you started. Re speakers - I love Focal speakers. Not cheap but excellent quality. The sound setups get very expensive very quickly. So do it in stages and as usual, don't go cheap as it won't be worth the effort👍

Back