Smiles per mile

chris139ryan

Octane Boostaholics
Was driving home yesterday and just got to thinking which car out of every car I have owned/driven had me grinning from ear to ear.

I would say it was my mates Honda s2000. Loved everything about the car. How tight it was, the insane rev range, the sound, very driver focused cockpit and so comfortable for what it was.

What car has given you the most amount of smiles per mile ?

Was driving home yesterday and just got to thinking which car out of every car I have owned/driven had me grinning from ear to ear.

I would say it was my mates Honda s2000. Loved everything about the car. How tight it was, the insane rev range, the sound, very driver focused cockpit and so comfortable for what it was.

What car has given you the most amount of smiles per mile ?

Showing my age here but it was black 1991 Renault 19 16v which I brought in from UK in 1997, the electrics broke my heart but it was a quick car for me back then and many happy memories in it,

Genuinely has to be the sti . I've looked at replacing it with an rs4 audi focus rs even looked at an m3 and I just cannot get away from the subaru . The power the way it drives everything is perfect for me .

Focus was the closest to tempting me away and in truth if they were 4 wd I probably would have been very very tempted

Great question and a tough one to answer.

My first car which was a 106 rallye I had the time of my life in and some memories in it what will go to the grave with me.

My scooby at the moment is up there too which I think has to do with my age now and having the little one but Its the first car I have owned which i drive every day and have not stopped loving it over the two years now of ownership.

If I have to pick between them it would be eeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Give me a few hours.

The Wrx

The Grip power noise comfort and Roadholding/backroads ability and two figures to everyone else in there Nissan Tidas just love it

And...

The Swift Sport comes in a very close second for the lightness liner handling from 30 to 100 mph punchy rev happy engine ability to devour a twisty road and it's personally it's like a mad yappy dog always going nuts

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hard one. Because i think personal memories along side the car will be part of it.

At 17 had a 91 Corolla GTi high torque and great memories.

After that 18 had e36 bmw 325i and again great memories.

Subaru wise was my first turbo and subaru and was a gen1 s2 legacy turbo. Now in the hands of scoobysub. No other cars of really had any great buzz/memory of them

My BMW 1997 740i was my last car that really held any great memory and excitment about.

After that sitting in and having the chance to drive quick and rare cars weekly it all went away. And i really hate that bit.

Loads of cars through the years but only a few stand out. 93 Suzuki swift gti Only my second car thought it was the fastest car ever at the time still a great car .
Subaru wise had a few wrx,s and a Classic sti but the legacy is The one I.d choose hands down . Not the fastest car I.v owned. But the way it gets around a back road for an old is very surprising Even in standard for.

smiles per miles, has to be my lancia delta integrale evo, probably only put 5 thousand kms on that car over 3 years but it had everything, a presence, a look, a sound,a smell, a charm, it could drop a pair of kickers from 40 yards and have men winding down windows of cars and tripping over themselves to give you the thumps up, it wasnt the quickest car ive ever had but it made up for it with soul, its back bumper would fall off at anything over 100mph and the central looking would open and close if you went over a cats eye but it didnt matter, ferrari's and maserarti's would pull up along side me on the motorway and give you the nod. drive trues, toll boots and over taking was a pain but it didnt matter, i was a hero in that car, middle aged and balding, it didnt matter, every mile i drove it, i smiled, the suede roof lining, the leather seats, the tiny boot, the thousands of dials, the push button start, its all coming back to me, i wish i had it now!!!!

best car i have ever owned? subaru impreza wrx sti type r limited!!!!

Great question man
for me it was my v1 sti 1994 it was 17 years ago very few of them on the road back then
every traffic light was a race ha ha all sorts of stuff pulling along side looking for a go ha ha
the stuff I got up to in that car it was a good time for a car like that go go juice was cheap
Had a picture of it that Dave leggy found but I lost it
Great times great car never missed a beat.
Have never been without a Subaru since

My old type r was a cracker as well:subaruimprezaSTIico

For me it was my saxo, it was relatively quick at almost 150 bhp but it handled like a go-kart full set of avo coilovers poly bushed and drop 90mm in rear 70mm in the front on 215/35/18 tyres awesome little car to drive always made me not just smile but laugh at how cool it was and could surprise a lot of way more powerful cars, would love it back

wagon dec

Owned:
1) UR Quattro when I was 18 years old probably at the top of the list. Nothing on the roads at the time would keep up and the 5 pot a complete rival for the boxer burble! "She's the one that got away - and still miss her to this day"
2) My classic STI v3, raw, light, fast, limpet grip levels, good looks, great sound track... what more do you want.
3) Citroen BX GTI (T16), great at 20 (looked bit crap, but comfy, good grip and well fast)
4) Current Hawk STI.

Driven (not owned):
1) BMW Z3 M Coupe... one word... brilliant!
2) Martini Delta WRC A class... mad!
3) Corvette Stingray
4) Alfa Giulia Sprint GT

Some great cars getting thrown up here. Was thinking today and if I was to have one of my cars back I would pick my b4 rsk from about 15 years ago. Was one of the first in the country for a long time. Very comfortable, fast, the sound from the 5zigen exhaust was insane (banged and popped on downshifts). Would love another one but I dont think the car will live up to the memories of that one.

Owned an sti for 7-8 years prior to my 535d now. Cracking car in every way didnt even mind the thirst of it but didnt leave the same mark on me as the b4 did

Keep them coming

i've owned and driven lots of cool and fast cars, but the most smiles would have to be my blue uno turbo- right side of 200bhp and weighted as much as a matchbox. could fight well above it's weight, but as seen by the next owner - they aren't very safe.
on track it would be a toss up between my old 205 and integra- both keep you on your toes, maybe not the fastest track toys, but defo the most fun

Ah the good old uno turbo was a quick car and I was in it when the boost was lower.
I have some pics of it stuck in a wall at the walkinstown roundabout I'll root them out for ya ???? that's the hero fella for ya

I too have had a lot of cars that brought a smile to my face, my uno turbo when I was 18 was very quick but broke my heart. My version 2 sti type ra gave more some great smiles through the years. I keep that for 5 years and loved every minute of it. I bought a skyline r33 gtr then, that car could turn heads from 50 paces. Very rare on the road when I had my one. I sold that to go back and buy my sti type r. Tt just handled so much more go cart like compared to the skyline, so as for smiles per mile my type r is no1 and the gtr no2.

Evoman the 2 cars you have listed about are a must own for me some day. Even now a gtr would turn heads everywhere it goes.

The best I ever owned which had the best smiles per gallon ratio is definitely my old Mx5 10th anniversary edition. Loved that car. Out of factory gas suspension, 6 speed short shift gearbox, nardi half blue half black interior, torsen lsd. Add ability to drop roof on gold day and you got a boner through all duration of your drive.
Next was my r33 4 door skyline with 400hp. Absolutely useless and as predictable as world war 2 granade. Though thats why it was so charming. Constantly trying to kill you. :)
I love my scooby and its the first car I hold on top so long. 3 years and going. Can't get wrid of it, it's just such a great golden spot between performance and comfort.

Back