Servicing fun

DerekD

Hello everyone, was giving the car a full service today, got my first experience changing boxer spark plugs, was all fun until I got to cylinder 3 and a lot of shouting was done but got there in the end, sparks were in awful condition, great improvement on the engine now.

I changed out the gearbox oil and was moving to the rear diff but the fill plug was stuck on fairly tight, couldn't move it with a breaker bar, has anyone idea how tough them fill plugs are? I'll get it on a lift this week and get a long bar at it to free it ????

Hello everyone, was giving the car a full service today, got my first experience changing boxer spark plugs, was all fun until I got to cylinder 3 and a lot of shouting was done but got there in the end, sparks were in awful condition, great improvement on the engine now.

I changed out the gearbox oil and was moving to the rear diff but the fill plug was stuck on fairly tight, couldn't move it with a breaker bar, has anyone idea how tough them fill plugs are? I'll get it on a lift this week and get a long bar at it to free it [emoji108]
Fair play, luckily mine were done before I bought my car so still don't need to do mine for a while yet.
Once you get the car on the lift, you'll have much more room for a long breaker bar hopefully comes off easily enough then [emoji106]

Great work :thumbsup: always open the filler plug first as if you open the lower 1 and you can?t open the top you can?t put oil back in it . There usually fairly tight breaker bar should open them

Quick question lads, was changing disks and pads this evening and found the guide pins were in bad shape, will order a new set tomorrow, is it best to leave the rubber band on the pin or rip it off? I know it contributes to the pin sticking but might be a bit rattly if left off ?

Quick question lads, was changing disks and pads this evening and found the guide pins were in bad shape, will order a new set tomorrow, is it best to leave the rubber band on the pin or rip it off? I know it contributes to the pin sticking but might be a bit rattly if left off ?
Would you have a pic of it Derek

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

They usually clean up grand with a bit of sandpaper unless there heavily corroded . I presume the boots are cut or tore if the pins are corroded

No picture Gary as I needed the car so had to reinstall old pins until the new ones arrive, the old ones needed a lump hammer to get out before being cleaned, looks like there was no grease on them, new boots to come with the Pins joe,

The diff bungs are on tight, took a fair bit of persuasion to get them loose but did come. As mentioned open the fill (top one) first. I did soak them in WD40 for a day or two beforehand to help.

New guide pins came and in, so full set of new discs and pads with a caliper service on each corner :) IMG_20200917_175900.jpgIMG_20200902_191140.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_175900.jpg
    IMG_20200917_175900.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200902_191140.jpg
    IMG_20200902_191140.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 35
Back