Rolling Road day at A.I Autosports new premises up north.

[quote author=WetPatch link=topic=4630.msg64206#msg64206 date=1203636713]
[quote author=decb4rsk link=topic=4630.msg64201#msg64201 date=1203635858]
[quote author=WetPatch link=topic=4630.msg64116#msg64116 date=1203622053]
v-power is only 95 where e5 is 98.5 or something.
[/quote]

v power is 99 ron,quote from shell website

Shell V-Power is a high octane fuel (99 RON) designed to help maximize the performance of many modern engines with adaptive spark timing capacity.

[/quote]

Yeah 99 in england 95 here
[/quote]

so if v power is 95 ron here what ron is their normal unleaded??????

Ok lads Ill take your word for it :thumbsup:

The gas thing is just before I got on the boat last friday to go to the UK for mapping it was the texaco techron I filled up on. I think its called techron anyway. Does the normal Shell fuel have the cleaning agent in it aswell ?

Damo

This is a recent dyno result from AI. Autosprt, I think its safe to say the dyno is reading a little high ;)

2003 WRX.
PPP ecu
Green panel filter
CAT Back exhaust system. Still has original downpipe fitted.

306.9 BHP

From that dyno read out hes calculated 50% transmission losses?? shouldnt it be a round 24-25%? if you took 25% transmission losses for a 4wd you get around 250-260bhp a more realistic output for that car...thats why in the states they use WHP its the only true measure

i seen these results on another scooby site cant rem where there :ponder:

Most use 21% - 22%, DD rollling road uses 21.5% or there abouts.

IIRC 14% to 16.5% on a Dastek.

Damo

[quote author=Renno link=topic=4630.msg66926#msg66926 date=1204617975]
This is a recent dyno result from AI. Autosprt, I think its safe to say the dyno is reading a little high ;)

2003 WRX.
PPP ecu
Green panel filter
CAT Back exhaust system. Still has original downpipe fitted.

306.9 BHP
[/quote]

Damo Didnt want to say, but I definitely think it is reading just a tad high....! Understatement

The percenatage loss is more due to the drive train..a fwd drive typically losses 15% or so where AWD losses 25%..I dont know the figures for an impreza but the 50% hes calculating seems very high BUT dont foget thats 200whp through 4 wheels..
be good if we could get some info from AI on this because none of us here has the expertise to question him...I'm just going on what i read I dont know how to work a dyno I dont think anyone here does Im not in a postion to question the guy.
The reason its thrown into doubt is Subaru measure the engine on an engine dyno..they qoute a power figure for that engine..the Rolling road measures power at the WHEELS and calculates the flywheel figure from that.. if a standard or near enough standard car is making a lot more than the subaru qouted figure its seems it could be an error in the calculation.
On the other hand subaru may under qoute the figure who knows...again like I said non of us here can question him but be good if we good get a response and some info from the lads...stops us speculating and guessing when really we dont know what we're talking about

Oh yeah to be clear im not saying the lads in A.I are up to anything :noway:, just that there is simply a problem with the dyno or operation of it. And I dont know how they do the calculations either but there has been a couple of WORLD RECORDS set for turbo's up threre which is why I think there has been a mistake made somewhere. Some turbo's just can not flow enough air to produce some results that have been got.

Damo

Few lads have been saying the readings where off, but at the same time there where a few cars up there that day who knew what there cars put out and the results came back spot on for them. ????

Have to agree with Dagnut it's WHP that counts not estimated BHP figures which are always open to massive errors in calculation but that it's always a good idea to bring along a bog standard unmodified car to calibrate the power loss calculations.

Martin Tracey's Rolling road seems to be the most accurate. I've seen several standard 1.6 Imprezas put out 95bhp to 97 bhp on the rollers at Westward so you know the estimated bhp figures are fairly accurate then too.

Frawls

[quote author=WetPatch link=topic=4630.msg67056#msg67056 date=1204655097]
Few lads have been saying the readings where off, but at the same time there where a few cars up there that day who knew what there cars put out and the results came back spot on for them. ????
[/quote]

Yeah some of the cars would be what you would expect them to put out.

I heard a story the last time I was down at a rolling road at Westward Engineering that 4 guys with Celica GT4 put thier cars on the rollers in Xtreme Autos. All 4 cars came in over 300 bhp with the best one over 340 bhp.

Apparently, the same cars then were put on the rollers at Westward a week later to confirm the dyno figures and the best car just barely reached 250 bhp. I have heard similar stories from loads of people. Another one goes along the lines of "....so what do you think she's putting out?"..."..oh around 300 bhp" and hey presto the dyno plot shows 300 bhp. Fancy that!

I know Martin Tracey's figures are a little on the conservative side but he's in this business long enough not to be interested in massaging anyone's egos so I would believe his figures over anything that comes out of the other rolling roads.

The point is its all just a bit of fun and no rolling road is ever going to be as accurate a measure of a car's power as a car dynoed on a dyno hub but some are more accurate, or rather less inaccurate that others.

Frawls

I whole heartedly agree!
I recon the A.I auto sport rolling road is way off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They said i only have 386 bhp :?
But I recon I have at least a million! :p
Dan

JEEP :angry:
It's an estate car!!!! :thumbsup:
I'll get mine rolling roaded elsewere soon! just for the craic!
I'm pretty cofident it wont be far off what A.I. said it was! :pray:
Dan

Back