Road Mapping VS Rolling Road

[quote author=FQ 340 link=topic=829.msg7015#msg7015 date=1164113649]
Frawls,

You're quite right, you and I did discuss your torque figures at length, sorry should have been generalising. In my defence though, you were the only person that I did discuss torque with and nobody was keeping a log of the torque results nor the points that torque was coming up and peaking at in the range.

The thing is, as you know, rolling roads only actually measure torque and then do the sums to produce the HP figure, which by definition happens high up in the rev range. I personally am only interested in the torque curve as that is what will tell you how a car drives while also giving you the HP figure.

As for your loss in torque and HP, my guess is that it is solely down to the fact that the car was road mapped. Your losses sound like a big drop but there could be a huge amount going on in the background.

My own car produced a 20 HP and 5 lb/ft gain over when I ran it two months ago on 95. The only difference between the runs was the addition of about 10 litres of 102 RON fuel to a half tank of 95 and an ECU reset.

Driving the car, the power difference was imperceptible. The car did feel smoother and more responsive, but up high, I really didn't think there was any difference. On the rollers however, there was a clear 20 hp gain.

Boost was also up all the way across (1.9 bar) giving good early torque but there was a massive drop in torque at 5000 rpm that then leveled out before dying at 6500. This dip in the torque curve is almost certainly down to timing. Whether it is that the timing hadn't readvanced yet after the reset or whether it the fuel still isn't good enough to get optimum ignition advance I don't know. However, I am now very sure if I could run the car constantly on good fuel, the full 340 hp and 320 lb/ft would be easily available.

I personally thought your torque curve looked really impressive, especially beside the Sti's and even the P1. Insofar as it is possible to tell from the curve, I'd say it's a bit of an animal on the road.

I know it is very frustrating spending money and not getting the results (it happened to me before) but as Andy says, if you want roller results, you have to map on the rollers. If you did, with your set up, you'd easily see 300+ on torque and hp.

Don't know if the car would drive any better however.

There is an interesting post on the lancer register site where they put the FQ340 against the FQ400 on the road in a variety of tests. In almost all of the various head to heads that they conducted, the FQ340 was actually quicker than the 400 despite giving it a full 60 hp. The 340 pulled like the 330d you mentioned and got clear ahead well early on and the 400 was never able to close the gap.

Balls out however, the 400 was ultimately the quicker car (albeit not by much) as with its extra horses it could pull further in each gear and the initial gains of the 340 were eventually pulled in and surpassed.

I'd say if you put your machine alongside some of the similarly powered cars from Saturday, you might find a similar result.

Also, I'd say if you were to run some better fuel for a while, those losses might well disappear.

More importantly, how much will you lose when you move over to TT land?

Jesus, and I thought I was bad going for an Evo.

Type 25 man, has to be at that budget.

Seriously think about it, the last one is 350 and 355 lb/ft, the new one is 425 and 400. Ok it won't be quite that on our fuel, but oh my God, what a car.

In any event, you absolutely must have over 300 lb/ft it's essential, you won't last. No way.
[/quote]

Well said, Just one little thing regards the people not checking there torque / curve ETC. A couple people I know of there on Sat know all about ( or at least have there opinion on ) rolling roads and see it as a day out but thats it, so maybe thats why they may not have been so concerned with there sheets as much as people normally would IMO. But Im sure everyone had a good luck at them at home or later that eveing.

I have to say the Rolling Road was a great day out. It was good craic and nice to meet old faces again and some new ones.

Having looked at my dyno graph again a I noticed a few peculiar things.

1. The BHP curve never tailed off. She was still making power at 6950 rpms and climbing! My old curve showed power dropping off slowly at 5750 and then tailing off more steeply as it aproached 7,000 rpms. She actually made 10 bhp between 6750 and 6950 rpms. This is bizzare but I think Andy raised the limiter for the TD04h as in Mondello she never hit the limiter not even at 7250 rpms which I once saw on taco.
2. The torque curve is impressively flat and tails off slowly but she is making less power & torque than before on the Andy Forrest Mapped standard TD04 turbo.

THe thing is my car was last dynoed after the Andy Forrest Remap on the TD04 and produced 277 bhp and 360 nm torque so it should have been more now as nothing was changed except the installation and remap again for the td04H.

Andy did say when mapping my car (all 3 times) that no matter how much octane booster I put in the ecu was finding it dificult to advance. Maybe the lack of the oil catch can is hampering the timing advance by reducting the octane somehow? Still, I ran her with nearly a full bottle of Lucas to Enfield so octane shouldn't have been a problem.

AS for the FQ 340 -v- FQ 400 I read a review in Autocar about the latest FQ 360. It usues all the good bits form the 400 but suffers none of the lag. It puts out 40 ib/ft more torque and will effectively outpace the 400 in all but a 0-100 run and even them it would be close. On the road the 400 was no match for the 360. Torque, it seems, is our best friend!

The all new Audi TT has a unique engine in that it runs at high compression with a small turbo. The higher compression is facilitated by stratified fuel injection under turbo diesel approaching pressures. This allows for immediate spool up of the turbo with peak power and torque reached at 1,800 rpms and a totally flat torque curve all they way to 5,200 rpms. Like a turbo diesel it has power everywhere with no lag so a s a daily driver it is hugely impressive. It wont lick an impreza 0-60 as it's only fwd but its in-gear times put the impreza to shame I'm afraid as it's a 6 speed box with instant throttle response. In essence its the best of both worlds, trubo firepower with naturally aspirated throttle response all rounded off with 37.8 mpg! The only down side is having to change my name to Fronc and wear these ridiculously tight (and itchy) pink nylon hot pants but I'll put up with them until the new Impreza arrives in 2008!

I'll let you know what Andy Forrest thinks of my concerns but the main thing is she drives well and has no det.

Frawls

Goodman Frawls just remember
when you get the new shape MY08 :)
you'll have to change those shorts to blue............

Niall.

Fronc it is so from now on, as long as everything else stays as flat as your torque curve while you' re wearing those tight shorts we'll all be ok.

Seriously though, I'm not criticising anybody for not looking at their dyno sheets hard enough or scientifically enough, God knows I was the only person to come out with less hp than their manufacturer claims and I couldn't care less.

What I was saying was there were a lot of people disappointed with their results who were taking it seriously and my point was simply that people shouldn't read too much into dyno results in general but hp in particular.

If you were happy coming down what the dyno said isn't important.

I am certainly not going to start running my car on race fuel to get the last 20 hp and 5 lb/ft that Mitsi claim for my car. I didn't notice the last 20 hp so why would I bother?

I am going to run it on Lucas for three or four weeks and RR it again to see what I get and find out if it is worth the money. I had hoped to do that on Saturday but George's batch was delivered to the wrong address and I had none the last two weeks.

I'll post up with the results.

Lads after been one of the members who's run on the RR was cut short
@291bhp :) due to high levels of KNOCK .................or so said the RR !!!

I spent some time readding the post's hear and a very good discussion on same
over at Scooby net.
Im with AndyF on this one. I had some prob's with fuel on the day so no
doubt that has put a spanner in the works but no matter how hard i drove
yesterday to the meet at Abbeyleix ...................the highest konck level recorded
was 47
....................now that's a far cry from the 80 plus that was been recorded
on the RR.

Also to note i got my car road mapped to 1.3bar boost and the highest i got yesterday
was 1.33bar..................while on the RR it was readding 1.6 and higher.

So im quiet happy to report my road mapped car is fine while on the road but not to happy
on the rollers .

Hope this helps,
Niall.

As I said Nially I'm getting the same, Delighted with my car everyday but was dissapointed the day of the RR. I understand it more now that I've read up more about it.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Cheers
John

hello lads i had my car mapped on the rr a few weeks previous to this, and i have to say that the torque reading was so impresive i did,nt give a hoot about the hp, but i have to say i would like to have it done by andy forrest ,for one reason to kill my curiosity about road mapping compare to rolling road :wall: but personally a road map would make me feel happier as i belive that the tarmac is where the car belongs                        just a personal opinon

Yep sounds like a good plan :D
Should be interesting to hear your personal
opion on both maps !!!

AndyF is coming over in January, Renno will have info
up before he comes.

Niall.

I think ive one palce left on it, But someone might pull out by then. Im confirming with everyone at the moment.

just got a bit of info that andy forrest wont do the road map on autronic ecu,s . is this true. if so i,m wondering why i spent so much on the dam thing??????????? :computer:

Yeah I posted that in the other thread. Only Apexi and ECUTEK currently.

Damo

Not that I know of. Some mappers do Motech some Autronic or Ecutek etc etc thats about it as far as I know.

Yes I would fit an oil catch can.

The increased turbo pressure following a remap can cause some of the oil to blow back into the intercooler and make it run less efficiently. Also oil in the intake (post IC) can reduce the octane of the air/fuel mixture thereby reducing the about of ignition advance the mapper can safely dial in when remapping.

This was a problem on my wrx and I have heard about it in several other WRXs also, although having said that it doesn't seem to be a problem in most cases. I had to have Andy Forrest remap my car again to take some timing out to stop detonation. It didn't seem to matter how much Nitros Formula octane booster I put in, Andy just couldn't reach the kind of timing advance he wanted or expected.

If I was doing it again I would definitely fit an oil catch can to make sure to avoid this "potential" problem.

Frawls

Back