regret, that one car we wished we'd hung on to

dnadelooners

Sunday Drivers
A guy once said to me "you never regret buying a subaru only selling one" we all have that one car we wish we had hung on to well I know I do anyway. It was my 97 reg mitsubishi evo4! The second I drove it I had to have it at all costs. 5k it cost me and the minute I arrived back to wexford from Cork the downpipe blew away from the manifold but I didn't care. It wasn't the most reliable of cars as in I spent bucket loads of cash just maintaining it but no car has even come close to giving me the feeling it did when I put the foot down hard, it gave me butterflies every time I drove it for 2 years! Sadly the timing belt slipped and wrecked the cylinder head and being young and stupid I simply went out and bought a new evo4 rather than fixit but it wasn't the same. The old one sat outside my house injured for a year as I was gradually buying the bits and pieces to get her back on track but constant nagging from herself about costs mounting up and front garden looking like a scrapyard I reluctantly sent her on her way. Wasn't just how she drove though that made me love it. It thought me so much about fixing cars as it was cheaper to try it yourself haha.

I like my blob wrx but if somebody brought that evo back to me in the same injured condition I would swap for it in a heartbeat becausr love trumps like every day of the week.

So what's your regret, if any?

photo0114.jpg
[/URL]

Certainly wouldn't be an Evo :p

Biggest regret was selling my old mini. Thousands spent on it and I gather it was left to rot in a field by buyer.

'81 Audi UR Quattro - clutch went and gear linkage was giving issues for ages... small repairs really, but @ 18 y.o. decided best to trade it for an easy to run Citroen BX diesel estate :icon_hang: :facepalm

'96 STI v3
- ex-wife rang me one day -
her: "Hon, can you collect me (from Dublin)"
me: "why, did the car breakdown?"
her: "nope, I just sold it!"
me: :wtf:

(in fairness to her she got a great price, but hey she could have checked with me beforehand... anyhow now ex-wife)

1999 skyline R33 GTST (2.5turbo, 424bhp, RWD)

Oh my god I miss her so much. Had to leave her go as I hadn't shelter for her. She was used daily and everytime you'd sit into that driver seat you knew that you were going to be smiling the entire trip. The sound of that 3" exhaust and a TiAL BOV was just amazing. Hearing that big ass turbo spool up :icon_omg:

Surprisingly the only time I was stopped was because a guard liked it and said "Jesus that's some motor" and continued to talk about it for 5/10 minutes.

Summer love, eh?

my gt starlet running over 200 on td 04 turbo

made way for the P1 only to end up in scrapyard after a ditch

Nothing fancy, 1985 3 Series BMW, my self and the Father swapped engines on it.

Also a 1989 200 SX, mean green machine :icon_grin:

I've had 3 cars I should have never sold

97 pug 106 rallye
92 Lancia delta integrale evo
And my v5 impreza type r limited

One day I'll have atleast one of them back

[quote author=Keadeen link=topic=42020.msg480913#msg480913 date=1403173299]
'81 Audi UR Quattro - clutch went and gear linkage was giving issues for ages... small repairs really, but @ 18 y.o. decided best to trade it for an easy to run Citroen BX diesel estate :icon_hang: :facepalm

'96 STI v3
- ex-wife rang me one day -
her: "Hon, can you collect me (from Dublin)"
me: "why, did the car breakdown?"
her: "nope, I just sold it!"
me: :wtf:

(in fairness to her she got a great price, but hey she could have checked with me beforehand... anyhow now ex-wife)
[/quote]

You had a UR quattro? Im very jealous

Mercedes 2.5-16, some yoke for rings
and my Feshty rs turbo 200bhp some weapon, jesus the brakes cost more than what i sold it for €15k wouldn't build that car. sold for peanuts because i wasnt using it and the auld lad was scratching it everytime he was in the garage, was driving me cuckoo.

and my grey V5 sti
and my E30 and e46 M3
and my original xr2
and basically the 100 other cars i owned and sold.

Attachments

• mercedes 2.5-16.jpg
    mercedes 2.5-16.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 13
  • mercedes 2.5-16.jpg
    mercedes 2.5-16.jpg
  • xr2.jpg
    xr2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 13
  • xr22.jpg
    xr22.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 12
  • mercedes 2.5-16.jpg
    mercedes 2.5-16.jpg
  • xr2.jpg
    xr2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 13
  • xr22.jpg
    xr22.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 12
had a one owner 1973 mini clubman 1275 gt . learned to drive in it around local forestry . didnt realise what a rare car it was at the time and sold her on for couple a hundred quid . worth a small fortune now id say if it had a survived

had a suzuki swift gti back in the day that i regret selling as there was only 25000klm on it when i bought it quick little car back in the day 1998 :eek2 :icon_sad: :icon_grin:

My 99 UKDM ITR DC2-rare car now and was almost 20k and had done 33000 miles when i bought it-was a big big deal back then when everyone had 1.4's with funny bumpers on them
DSC01051_zpsa95591c2.jpg

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=42020.msg480953#msg480953 date=1403195325]
had a suzuki swift gti back in the day that i regret selling as there was only 25000klm on it when i bought it quick little car back in the day 1998 :eek2 :icon_sad: :icon_grin:
[/quote]

Great car alright Joe... my mum bought a brand new one back in 1990 (very first of the new roundy shape)... some yoke to go and even with alloys and wide tyres still smoked the fronts without too much provocation... The aul' fella never managed to take off without leaving two black stripes, him being used to E190 and E200 diesels like. :falldownlaugh:

I've never really owned many cars, only 4.
I know friends of mine who have had over 30!

Anyway my first performance car of two... ,was my M3 evo E36.
Went to Brighton to collect it, two owners from new and full history with it.
Car was mint compared to the junk here at the time.

Absolute hooligans cars in wet or dry.
I was stopped more times in it than I ever will be in the Impreza.
I will buy one in years to come again.

Tax on it killed me and a nice spec-c appeared, so I had to shift it on!

My 99 ukdm integra type r.

The happiest 25k miles I've done. Incredibly reliable despite the constant use of vtec, track days and general abuse.

Guy who bought it wrote it off :(

Back