Rebuild or Second Hand?

pugtk

Sunday Drivers
Hi All,

I'm looking at a type r impreza with the box gone.

Power wise I can't see myself going above 330-350bhp, so I'm thinking of sticking with the type r box.

I think I would prefer to have the current box rebuilt, rather than buying second hand.

I know the cost would come down to what's gone in the box itself and It would be hard to put a price on something that can't be fully diagnosed until its cracked open, but has anyone an idea of what "cost range" a refurbishment would be?

I was searching on the forum and Ali Burrows seems to be the go to man?

Or would you go 6 speed dccd route? Would that be destroying the originality of the car now there approaching classic status?

Hi,

Ring Ali and he will tell you straightaway. He did my engine and gearbox in my type r. My bill was big but I got alot of work done. Top work by Ali Burrows.

I kept original 5 speed gearbox, I love it but it's only weekend car. If used often a lot of lads go for the 6 speed.

if funds allow rebuild because at least you know what you have then.

Best of luck with it.

Last edited:
or can't you get a UK 5th gear in place of the Japanese ratio which isn't as tall as the UK one .

I'd do what Tommy said rebuild with UK 5th
I was the same in my type r 3'5 thousand revs in 5th on the motorway hurts after a while lol
With second hand you just don't know what's going to happen

Defo. Do "not" do the UK 5th gear. Horrible feel from 4th to 5th under load.

Can transfer your centre diff set up to another sti box.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Defo. Do "not" do the UK 5th gear. Horrible feel from 4th to 5th under load.

Can transfer your centre diff set up to another sti box.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

It will be a weekend toy, so staying with the standard gear set.

Is there any other lads aparr from ali thats recomended?

David Byrne in Wexford is supposed to be good at boxes, he does a good bit of motorsport stuff. I never got anything done with him but he seeems to be a decent guy

Back