RALLY MONTE CARLO 2014

wagon dec

Member Number 257
1645_monte-carlo-bryan-bouffier-2014_12_896x504.jpg

Day one of Rallye Monte-Carlo was epic. There were incidents and shocks aplenty and none of the crews could rest easy. Here is a run down of the headline-making events and incidents that shaped today’s leaderboard:

Battle for 2nd on SS6

As Sebastien Ogier continued his fight back up the leaderboard by setting the fastest time on SS6, a big battle was developing behind him for second place. Robert Kubica held the place going into the stage but he struggled in the sodden conditions and dropped a surprising 21.2s at the finish.

That presented Kris Meeke with an opportunity to overtake his Ford-driving rival and claim the place at the end of the leg. Meeke didn’t let the chance pass. By emerging only 17.7s slower than Ogier, he was able to steal second place by just 0.7s.

The Citroen driver said: “I’m pleased with that. I’ve never driven on the winter tyre during testing so I don’t have a lot of confidence to push with it. To get to the end of day one in second place is nice but we’ve still got two more days to get through.”

Another Hyundai hiccup on SS5

Retiring on a stage is hard to take. But retiring on a road section is impossible to comprehend. That was the fate that befell Dani Sordo before SS5. The Spaniard was hoping to get even closer to second-place Kris Meeke on the stage but his Hyundai i20 WRC developed an electrical fault on the road section and ground to a halt. He and Marc Marti tried desperately to get their car moving again but they failed. Their rally was over.

Sebastien Ogier gave his local fans a little bit of hope with a fastest time on SS5. He opted to use two winter tyres and two super-soft slicks on his VW Polo R WRC and it was a combination that worked in the muddy conditions that he encountered. He was 6.5s faster than his team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala to leap up to fourth place overall.

Lessons learned on SS4:

The drama on the morning’s stages clearly taught people a few lessons, particularly when it came to tyre selection. The super-soft slicks that were favoured in the morning, were superseded by winter tyres in the afternoon. That gave everyone the grip they were looking for on the sodden re-run stages.

Jari-Matti Latvala got his rally back on track after a disappointing morning that left him squandering in 18th place. He was fastest by 10.8s on the fourth test and moved into 10th overall. “The feeling is much better now,” the VW driver said. “I used four winter tyres and that was absolutely correct.”

Bryan Bouffier, Kris Meeke and Dani Sordo held station at the head of the field, although Hyundai driver Sordo managed to reduce the gap to second-place Meeke from 27.9s to 6.1s over the 25km . Sordo said: “Using the snow tyres on the wet roads was definitely the right choice. It meant we didn’t aquaplane in all the water on the surface.”

Bryan Bouffier
Bryan Bouffier

All change on SS3

Fortunes on SS3 depended on what tyres you had in the boot of your car. Only a handful of drivers opted to take a brace of snow tyres on this morning’s loop of stages – and one of them was Bryan Bouffier. By fitting one snow tyre on the front and one on the rear of his Ford Fiesta RS WRC, he was able to take a massive chunk of time out of his closest rivals and leap into the overall lead by 41.5s.

Dani Sordo, Elfyn Evans and Kris Meeke also benefited from having snow tyres on board for SS3. Meeke jumped into second place overall and Sordo took third place. Robert Kubica, the rally leader going into the stage, didn’t have snow tyres and promptly dropped to fourth place.

Robert Kubica
Robert Kubica

A smoother SS2

With less wintry conditions greeting the crews at Rosans-Ste Marie-La Charce, events aren’t quite as dramatic on SS2. Robert Kubica continued his excellent start by going quickest on this test. He was 4.6s faster than VW’s Jari-Matti Latvala to extend his overall rally lead to 36.8s over Sebastien Ogier who was clinging on to second place.

Bryan Bouffier, who was second on SS1, lost time on SS2 and dropped to fourth place overall. The Ford Fiesta RS WRC driver was 27.5s off the quickest pace. “I tried to drive safe,” he explained.

Kris Meeke praised the work of his ice note crew as his third fastest time ensured he held on to third place overall. The Citroen driver said: “We had some excellent info from our ice note crew. There was some black ice that almost caught me out in a few places, but we’re doing okay.”

Privateer Ford Fiesta RS WRC driver, Martin Prokop, retired before he got to the start of SS2. The battery on his M-Sport-prepared machine wasn’t charging at the end of SS1 and he failed to make it to the beginning of the next test. His rally is over.

Thierry Neuville
Thierry Neuville

Drama on SS1

The day gets off to the worst possible start for Hyundai’s Thierry Neuville. His debut in the i20 WRC is going well at the first split time as he’s a stunning 4.5 seconds faster than stage opener Sebastien Ogier at the first split. But his challenge falls apart a few corners later as he crashes at the 6km mark.

He and co-driver Nicolas Gilsoul are okay, but their rally is over. Sadly, it’s the Belgian’s third consecutive Rallye Monte-Carlo retirement on the opening loop of stages.

Reigning World Rally Champion, Sebastien Ogier, fails to top the first stage time sheets as many people expected. The Frenchman, who was born in the nearby town of Gap, starts the stage on super-soft slick tyres and, with snow covering the road early on, he loses a significant amount of time after he ploughs his VW Polo R WRC into a wall on the first corner. He makes it to the stage finish but he isn’t impressed.

Robert Kubica overcomes the unexpected snowy conditions and proves to be a first stage revelation! The former F1 driver, making his WRC debut in an M-Sport-prepared Ford Fiesta RS WRC, blasts his way to a time that is 19.1 seconds faster than Ogier’s best and 14.3s quicker than second-place man Bryan Bouffier. He says: “That was very tough – the hardest stage of my life. We were not expecting snow, so it was very tricky

it is lookin like a great year alright im delighted to have proper coverage back and a new mix of drivers and teams

The cars are lookin well. Hope meeke keeps it together. Def great to have decent coverage. Hard t beat just sitting down to watch on the tv.

I have to say last year when I had to go to wrc.com or you tube I didn't bother with it as much as when I had tv coverage its great to have it back

Sounds like day one have everyone on the edge of their seats. Would give my right arm to be at this. The cars are looking unreal this year :changinggear:

1745_monte-carlo-vw-sebastien-ogier-2014_86_896x504.jpg

The drama on the 2014 Rallye Monte-Carlo went down to the wire. Here is a review of the headline-making events and incidents that shaped the final day:

Sebastien Ogier
Sebastien Ogier

SS15: Ogier is master of Monte!

A second fastest time on the closing ‘Power Stage’ ensured that Sebastien Ogier won his first-ever Rallye Monte-Carlo as a World Rally Championship driver. He was 0.4s slower than team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala. That meant he only claimed two extra championship points, but he wasn’t too upset. “It’s been a tough weekend and I’m happy to finish. I wasn’t in the mood to take risks for three extra points,” he said. Kris Meeke claimed the final ‘Power Stage’ point.

Mikko Hirvonen’s worst nightmare came true on the last test. His car continued to lose battery power on the road section to the stage and that meant he started late. He then grappled to keep his car moving on the 16-kilometre test, but all of his efforts were in vain. He was forced to stop and hand Elfyn Evans the sixth place that he’d worked hard to earn only two stages earlier.

During a rally where it was almost impossible to predict who would win, Yurii Protasov crossed the finish line as the WRC2 winner. Lorenzo Bertelli was second in his Ford Fiesta R5, albeit more than seven minutes behind his rival, and Robert Barrable was third in his Tunnocks World Rally Team machine. He was a further minute and-a-half behind Bertelli.

SS14: Traffic jam chaos

If anyone had hopes of attacking in SS14 they were dashed when privateer Jaroslav Melicharek lost traction in the heavy snow, got stuck and blocked the road on the way up to the Col de Turini.

Nobody running behind was able to get past and that caused a nasty and rather unhelpful traffic jam. Rally organisers had no alternative than to neutralise the stage and hand everyone a notional time to ensure nobody running behind gained an unfair advantage.

Mikko Hirvonen faced an anxious journey to the final stage at Sospel after he discovered that his Ford Focus RS WRC had developed a suspected alternator failure on SS14. “It’s going to be a question of survival for us,” said the man who lay in sixth place as he made his way to the Power Stage.

SS13: Hirvonen makes progress

Mikko Hirvonen breathed a huge sigh of relief as his fifth-fastest time was enough to finally edge him past his less experienced team-mate Elfyn Evans. The Finn took the place by two seconds.

Evans couldn’t challenge because of a lack of confidence. He said: “I struggled to carry any speed. It’s no surprise that Mikko has come past.”

Sebastien Ogier was fastest again, beating Kris Meeke by 3.5s. The VW ace was revelling in the heavy rain, but admitted he also had one eye on the second run through the stage, which will be used as the Power Stage. “We changed a couple of notes just in case we push for some more points on the power stage,” he joked.

Even more drama in the WRC category as the head of the leaderboard in WRC2 changed once again. Lorenzo Bertelli overtook Robert Barrable to re-take second place. The Irishman had lost time with a windscreen that wouldn’t demist properly. “I couldn’t see the corners or the lines after one kilometer. It was horrible,” he said.

SS12: Ogier dominates in the wet

Sebastien Ogier set the fastest time on the opening stage across the iconic Col de Turini. But he left it late.

He trailed VW team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala by 4.1s after the final split, but pulled out an advantage of 0.3s at the finish line. It was the mark of a world champion. Only 0.5s covered Ogier, Latvala and Bryan Bouffier in the top-three places.

All of the front-running drivers took studded winter tyres on the opening stage to cope with the snow that their weather crews had reported. But, the snow wasn’t as extensive as many feared and made the driving conditions challenging.

Bryan Bouffier said: “When we went through the snow, it was not easy because there was mainly slush. There was maybe only about 500 metres of hard snow.”

Citroen’s Kris Meeke was beaming after driving across the Col De Turini in a works DS3 for the first time. “I really enjoyed it in there,” he said. “This is just awesome. As young boy I grew up dreaming of days like this.”

The battle for second place in WRC2 failed to materialise. Robert Barrable was expecting Lorenzo Bertelli to challenge him hard, but the Italian’s Ford Fiesta R5 lost the drive to its rear wheels at the start of the stage and he dropped 40s to his Tunnocks World Rally Team rival. That increased Barrable’s advantage in second place to a minute.

1752_monte-carlo-vw-sebastien-ogier-2014_83_896x504.jpg

Sebastien Ogier kicked off the defence of his World Rally Championship title in style after winning Rallye Monte-Carlo on Saturday night.

Sebastien Ogier
Sebastien Ogier

The VW Motorsport driver won seven out of 15 stages to take victory by 51s from privateer Bryan Bouffier.

But Ogier was forced to draw on all of his world championship-winning experience to make it to the head of the field after suffering a nightmare first day.

Running first on the road, he encountered the worst of the weather conditions and an altercation with a bridge didn’t help his cause either. Partway through day one he was languishing in 9th place.

However, he bounced back on day two to take what would prove to be an unassailable lead. His victory proved to be his first on the Monte Carlo stages as a World Rally Championship driver.

“It’s been a tough weekend,” the Frenchman said. “I had it in my mind that victory was still possible when I lost a lot of time on the first day, but I’m happy the rally is finished.”

Bryan Bouffier
Bryan Bouffier

Bouffier impressed with an assured drive to second in his Ford Fiesta RS WRC. The Frenchman led the rally for seven stages but gave way to Ogier after he spun on SS9.

Citroen’s Kris Meeke completed the top-three and was only 35s slower than Bouffier after 15 stages. The Briton battled with Robert Kubica early on but the pressure dropped when the ex-F1 driver crashed into a ditch on SS9.

“This rally has been so crazy,” Meeke said. “If I can finish this rally with no mistakes, I think I can do it on any rally.”

Mads Ostberg completed a memorable weekend for Citroen as he finished fourth, just under a minute behind Meeke, and Jari-Matti Latvala was fifth in his VW Polo.

Kris Meeke
Kris Meeke

The Finn didn’t have the best of starts after stopping to change a puncture on day one, but he ended the rally well by taking maximum points on the rally-ending ‘Power Stage’.

Elfyn Evans was another debutant to emerge unscathed from the perilous Rallye Monte-Carlo in sixth.

Andreas Mikkelsen was the final manufacturer finisher in seventh, while privateer Jaroslav Melicharek completed the top eight in his Ford Fiesta RS WRC.

[quote author=buckshot link=topic=40414.msg461736#msg461736 date=1390207148]
robert barrable did well in wrc 2
[/quote]
:goodpost:

Its amazing what you find for sale on the french version of Done Deal nowadays... :falldownlaugh:

Attachments

• 1526239_719275401436082_648839897_n.jpg
    1526239_719275401436082_648839897_n.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 20