Quick Question

Aido 8sti

Hi guys and happy Christmas

So taking the STI of the road in the morning for a few months so do I really need the battery attached to a trickle charger or is it common enough just to disconnect the negative terminal on these cars ??

Personally I would use a trickle charger as:

A. It preserves the cars battery and costs roughly the same as a replacement, Ctek is probably the best option.

B. It maintains power on ECU, alarm and immobiliser which in my opinion is important to avoid errors or corruption of EPROMs etc from cycling power.

Thanks Al, yeah I get that as I have to do it with one of my cars but with the Mitsubishi I dont have to. So just wondering is it ok to just disconnect the Scooby as I wont have electricity where it is sitting for a few months. So hoping it might be ok on the once off just to disconnect it , maybe some people do disconnect ???

Would a solar charger be of any use with with a PV panel mounted externally on the garage?

Hopefully someone else can advise on any possible problems that may occur with disconnection

Agree with Joe , fairly simple cars , on reconnecting the battery all you have to do is tune in your radio stations .
I would think about trying to get power out to where it’s stored and a ctek smart charger, that way when you do go to drive it , you just get in it and nothing to do

Thanks Al worth looking into that for again, no doubt.(y)
Awesome thanks Joe & Baz thats music to my ears(y)

Never disconnected the battery on mine and she sat up an awfull lot .
I did start her maybe once or twice a month and left her running for a bit and never an issue .

Disconnect the negative on both mine while off the road for few months for last few years..reconnect about every 2 month start let run come up to temp move it about.

No issues 👍

Worst that will happen is cold might kill battery if if weak🔋

Disconnect the negative on both mine while off the road for few months for last few years..reconnect about every 2 month start let run come up to temp move it about.

No issues 👍

Worst that will happen is cold might kill battery if if weak🔋
Same here disconnect battery and reconnect every 2 weeks and give her a run around yard until warmed up. HAve charger if slow to start sometimes.

I wouldn't just leave it for a couple of months and not start it no harm to go out and start it every couple of weeks and keep things moving adio should get a few weeks without starting car as that's a new enough battery I put in it. With parking cars up don't want moisture setting in and sticking parts or condensation on interior seats etc

Awesome, replies much appreciated thanks, yeah like the idea of reconnecting every now again just to keep things ticking over. Good point about the interior Gary never thought of that so something to address then. At the minute tyres are pumped and a rag stuffed up the exhaust so think I will disconnect shortly , thanks again chaps:thumbsup:

I got a few Dehumidifier/Reusable Car Silica Gel Moisture Absorber Bags of amazon i keep them under front seats & 1 in boot and one hanging off mirror.

Worth looking into 👍

I got a few Dehumidifier/Reusable Car Silica Gel Moisture Absorber Bags of amazon i keep them under front seats & 1 in boot and one hanging off mirror.

Worth looking into 👍
A dehumidifier is a good long term investment. I keep one going in corner of garage over winter months even though garage is dry. I put it in cars for a few hours from time to time during long damp days and keeps seats,carpets nice and dry and mould free.

Back