Question on importing a car?

nicknack

Petrolheads
When a car is imported, and when it has landed in the port, what do you need to have done before you can drive it home? I will have customs, and shipping paid before car arrives but how does the vrt part work?

Apparently you have to do vrt in nct office but do you have to trailer The car out or can it be driven?

Cheers

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=41364.msg473380#msg473380 date=1396731414]
probably straight away if your keen to get her on the road paddy
[/quote]

But have no reg no or anything yet?

Book her in for VRT. And drive away at her, if your stopped show the note/letter saying that your booked in, if ye don't want to register her for a while change the booking date and keep her lit, make sure you have letter with you at all times doh, keep the jap plates on her

You can't drive the car on any public road until its vrtd you can't even drive it to the Nct centre that you are getting it vrtd in it has to be on a car transporter or recovery truck and the car has to be starting and has to be able to be driven and stopped, I only know this from experience
Accually back to another post from tonight about wagon dec been a sound man he helped me out the last time I had a bit of grief over a driver seat ( didn't have one in the car dec gave me a lend of one from his track car for and hour lol ) plus the vrt calculated ain't always right either my bill was €1100 more than what the vrt calculated said

Why can't it be driven on the road before vrt is paid. Is it not the same as Nct (once you have letter your ok)

Plenty of non Irish cars on the road and am sure they're not all visiting.

:smokin:

If your importing it from the uk you can drive it,
But if your importing it from japan you can't, they won't let you leave the docs with out it been on a trailer or truck

[quote author=diesel tom link=topic=41364.msg473408#msg473408 date=1396740817]
But if your importing it from japan you can't, they won't let you leave the docs with out it been on a trailer or truck
[/quote]

That can't be right Tom, unless there's no plates on the car, I'm sure if there a plate from any country in the world on the car it can be driven on Irish roads with proof of insurance.

Just like when thousands of Irish drive to Europe for there holidays or work, can't see why Japan would be any different

I have drove about 30 cars out of the docks over the years no problems. Must be different now?

[quote author=DUFFMAN™ link=topic=41364.msg1#msg1 date=1396772377]
[quote author=diesel tom link=topic=41364.msg473408#msg473408 date=1396740817]
[/quote]

That can't be right Tom, unless there's no plates on the car, I'm sure if there a plate from any country in the world on the car it can be driven on Irish roads with proof of insurance.

Just like when thousands of Irish drive to Europe for there holidays or work, can't see why Japan would be any different
[/quote]

The car has been de registered so has no plates ( Japanese ) that's what he means Johnny

As above jap cars come in de registered so you can not drive them with out plates I have braught in 6 cars from Japan i know how it works,
Uk registered cars you have 7 days to book your vrt
And then 30 days to pay once the car has been inspected at the Nct centre
You can drive away on your uk plates as much as you like with out any fear or looking over your shoulder once you have the car booked in for its vrt inspection because they will send you a conformation text which covers you with any guard, customs, or rsa officer

Back