Project Mu400 vs Mu800 vs DS2500 vs CL

pugtk

Sunday Drivers
Hi All,

Upgrading the pads on my 4 pots. For Fast road use. Disc wear/Pad wear is not important.
Currently on new OEM Discs, 5.1 Fluid and braided lines with 4 rebuilt calipers.

Looking for something with good bite and feel.

Not sure if I want squeal, seen a few videos on youtube of Carbon Lorraine pads with serious amounts of squeal. Also comments of the pads destroying alloys and paintwork with what ever comes off them.

Does the cerratec paste actual stop squal? Are they that good?

Other Options which I'm considering is project mu400 , but reviews online say the mu800 give better bite and feel with no squeal from wither pads. With the MU800 almost double the price are they worth it over the MU400?

Then theres the DS2500, seems to be a good all rounder.

Hi

Can only Comment on Carbon Lorraines and ds2500.

Carbon Lorraine Rc5+ I think I ran few years back in standard wrx 4pots and I thought they were savage stoppers esp on track and over fast backroad run but were very rough noisy and dusty on daily commute and eat a set of new disks for breakfast like they were nothing...also nothing I did could stop em squealing but most annoying was when applying light stopping say losing speed exiting motorway slip road was the grinding noise..

Mighty pad just not for daily driving

New disks and went to Ds2500 and have all the power of Cl with non of the drawbacks excellent pad still run them today in the Ap's brilliant pad

Hear postive things on project mu but no personal experience

Hope this helps[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I run P.MU 800+ combined with DBA T2 discs. It's basically a fast road setup to P.Mu's credit, the brake dust is very minimal and I have white wheels. Would recommend them for your setup. I have a similar thing on my WRX.

Fun fact: the U(μ) in P.Mu is called the coefficient of friction. Pretty clever company name.

Is there really any difference between discs except for cooling?

Running oem discs, I wasn't planning on changing either.

So its pretty much between DS2500 and Project Mu

The next thing is MU 400 or 800

The project mu 800 can be noisy and need a bit of heat in them to work but are a great pad and as mentioned don?t wreck your wheels. Joe and Gordon swore by the ds2500 on the Nurburgring trip this year.

The project mu 400 might suit you more for the road if going with that brand .

There is a huge difference in quality of discs . Not saying standard disc are bad just you can?t really compare a brembo plane disc to a mtec or blue print .

As in there braking performance or there ability to take abuse?

I always thought the difference in brands is down to there ability to take abuse and not braking performance.

Stick with a quality standard brembo disc the rest of them cheap ones I wouldn't rate . Project mu seem to be getting great reviews and are a quality product made in Japan but not cheap for discs and pads . I run standard discs which are dixcel and ds2500 pads and find them good.

To to be honest I think your wasting your money on discs and pads If your going running 300-320bhp on 4 pots as they won't stand up to that kind of braking on a backroad if your driving it on , will be ok for the first 3-5 corners then your going to have to back right off . Save your money and buy a set of brembos . Your going to be 400- 500 quid in on decent set of discs and pads for 4 pots, your not far off a good set of brembos 500-600

As in there braking performance or there ability to take abuse?

I always thought the difference in brands is down to there ability to take abuse and not braking performance.

Better materials used so in turn more able for abuse

Joe I found the Subaru 4 pots and 2 pot conversion on the back great for fast road use at that power , as the 2 pots take pressure off the front but any more you need bigger brakes all round. It also depends on the driver really aswell , you?ll get to a point where you?ll know .
320 on track flat out they?ll be done after 2-3 laps

My view is on ds2500 as I have them all round dust is no problem a bit not to much washes off easy enough. I went from drilled groved disc to J hook which are much quieter don?t get the Hummmmmm out of j hooks. Pads squeak a small bit when hot doesn?t bother me but they work when cold good bite only cooked them once in Germany being hotshot when I ain?t. Have yet to fade them here. A good set of brembos 4 pots save you in the long run there?s a good few lads have done conversion maybe they might give there experience between both. I spent a few quid on what I have but buy once buy right as I did waste money previously

Another option is godspeeds 335mm kit.

So I was pretty much set on a ?250 pad for the standard 4 pots.

Godspeeds kit is 479+vat = 575 sterling, wont have to pay vat myself so about ?600euro, so ?350 more than what I was planning to pay.

Maybe worth a shout.

But me being me, I couldn't have mix matched discs on the car, so would need to change the rears also at 120+vat.

The Brembo Option is a lot more expensive:

But by the time the brembos are rebuilt with new seals, fitting kit repainted etc. along with decent pads/discs there proabley wont be much change from ?1,300.

Or to **** with all this nonsense and stick in a set of mu400 for 120euro

Given you have the lines and fluid done, I would just start with a good pad, and see if it meets your needs. Think you mentioned it is only for fast road, so see what a good pad gets you. After that would be looking at a bigger set up, but start simple and go from there. I find with my newage and any I have driven a few others and felt similar that there is a bit more pedal travel than say a VAG car, but braking performance is fine just more of a push that I was used to.

i have the mu800 , great for track , but couldnt keep wheels clean , and the squeek got to me . so put back in brembo pads , keepin the mu for trackwork

When you hear the squeak on someone?s car you know there a little bit special nearly all the car coming in off ring had squeaky brakes and the smell you know they had a good time [emoji23][emoji23]
giphy.gif

I've swapped out the DS2500 for CL RC6. Bedding them in over last couple days and tomorrow before track day Sunday. So far they are savage. Even from cold the bite is excellent on them. Also absolutely zero screeching from them yet. Will see how they fair but I reckon they'll murder the discs before I have an issue.

I've swapped out the DS2500 for CL RC6. Bedding them in over last couple days and tomorrow before track day Sunday. So far they are savage. Even from cold the bite is excellent on them. Also absolutely zero screeching from them yet. Will see how they fair but I reckon they'll murder the discs before I have an issue.

Zero screeching? I thought CL pads were a ***** for it.!

On newage brembos or classic setup?

Zero screeching? I thought CL pads were a ***** for it.!

On newage brembos or classic setup?

Newage Brembos. Bedded in now and some very light squeak but more than bearable. I had endless pads on a DC5 years ago and they were horrendous for squeaking!

Back