Power Loss Under Acceleration

Sheriff

Octane Boostaholics
Experiencing some power loss in my Hawk N/A. Happening in all gears under acceleration. The car will accelerate as normal, then I'll experience nothing and then suddenly I get a massive boost in power. In third gear when I reach max revs before changing to fourth, the car will hold at 60kmph and in 4th, hold at 80 before going into 5th. I'm getting overtaken by Renault Espaces on the dual carriageway!!

I'm getting no lights on the dash and no codes on the scanner. Could it be MAF or throttle body sensor? Just trying to get ideas.

Don't think there is a 2.0na owner out there that hasn't experienced this .

My own used to do it but I was able to put it down to bad petrol .

Loads more theories about it though out there

I did have to stop and get petrol in the middle of nowhere so maybe it is the petrol. I'll have to wait and see when the tank is empty again. It's annoying when I get passed by Mom mobiles!

Its seems to be a common fault. Use to only happen below 3200 revs the engine would be lazy and feel like no power but once over 3200/3500 never a poblem

Very common joe . Thankfully didn't happen mine 2 often when I had it . Any time it did I used to get fresh juice in the tank and reset the ecu

Thread cleaned up there Lads as gone off topic
P.M. Function actually will work for both of you there if you want to Talk to each other Thanks :thumb:

Quick update. Was actually the 02 sensor sending incorrect values over 25 causing the engine to cap its power once it read over 25+. I plugged a different diagnostics machine and let it run for 10-15 minutes and cleared the codes that didn't show in the other for some reason.

I also drained the tank and refilled with the good stuff. Might put something in the tank to clear out any carbon. It's running fine now but not going to give it the beans too much. Thanks to everyone who helped in any way.

used to have this problem several times too... like 3-4times in range of 18 months I have driven N/A.

As far as my investigation of that issue went, is combination of Knock sensor being set too sensitive and not so good petrol at some of the petrol stations. However do not think, that there will be differences in petrol quality based on price or where you are taking the petrol.

Happened to me with most of the major petrol networks, such as Maxol, Texaco, Applegreen etc.

I spent quite lot of money back in the time when it happened the second time, to get EVERY sensor checked in the car, including compression ratio and everything, nothing was showing bad values, except for coolant temperature, but replacement did not fix the issue. Only thing that did fix it, was to run off the bad petrol, get clean one in and reset ECU by disconnecting battery for 30 minutes.

It's not exactly cheap for a ton of new sensors either. Subaru charge well.

Last edited:
colm: I used to always take petrol at Texaco on my way to work, never had issues with that particular one, but once I had to take petrol down in south part of city and went directly for texaco again and got bad petrol...

I Always try use the esso on Peters road fill up every Sunday when I'm down that way
Or foxhunter if I'm stuck as they have a very high turnover of juice

Back