PICS FROM GALWAY RALLY TODAY

id say it was cold standing there on the stages, kickin myself i missed. Fair play to donnelly he is a legend roll on two weeks to the WRC :thumbsup:

Great pics there Brian, especially for a camera phone.

I was at SS4 and the rain was cutting the face off me but stayed for the first 10 cars and then made my exit for the car! I was also at SS6 only to find it was cancelled because it was flooded. I then went to SS7 which was a great stage with a long straight through a forest section into a medium S bend at the end.

I was surprised how few WRC cars there were (12) and the weather was atrocious. I just hope Rally Ireland is a bit dryer.

Sorry Brian I meant to say Stage 7 was cancelled and I went on to stage 8 then as it was only a few miles away.

I had a serious sideways moment on the Moate bypass on my way home yesterday afternoon. I was doing 120kph which was a bit too fast for the truly awful conditions when a car came flying up from behind. He kept hounding me so I left this lunatic in his BMW 330 past. About a mile later I came around a bend having slowed to 100kph when I saw the very same BMW going sideways at about 130kph! It then bounced off the central concrete barrier and collected a Merc S class driven by an old fella in the slow lane! They both went off the side of the road and thankfully stopped on the grass verge without hitting any trees. While I was watching all of this my car then decided to go sideways aswell! The reason was a combination of an inch of standing hailstones that had gathered in a slight dip in the road and my tyres being in need of changing soon! Thankfully after a few brown trousers moments sawing at the steering wheel and a traction control light that never saw such action in its short electronic life she straightened up.

I've never seen any road like the Moate bypass to hold water on its surface. My car was just aquaplaing everywhere. Thankfully I had backed off befpre coming around that bend as otherwise there would have been no way I would have got her back. As it was I'd say I was massively lucky and only for the traction control I would have painted a long red line down that central concrete barrier :icon_pray:

Frawls

that rain on stage 8 was absolutely mental and think my ass is actually bruised from the hail stones!
Sounds like you had a lucky escape there frawls, it is a very bad road for surface water

Yeh the hail stones cut the face off me. It was unbelievably miserable out there but you have to take to bad weather with the good. I got sun burnt at Last years rally of the lakes. It so much better fun driving around between the stages when the sun's out and long walk ins are are a chance for a good chat too. Thankfully the walk ins in Galway were really short.

I had a lucky escape alright. A combo of fat (245) tyres with worn threads, standing slush and probably too much speed for the atrocious conditions made driving conditions incredibly dangerous. I've never aquaplaned in a straight line before, well not for more than a few feet. This was a full on sideways slide for about 100m. Its hard to tell it all happened so fast and yet it was like slowmotion when it was happening.

I have been in a serious accident before when my sister rolled her Renault 5 on ice and we were lucky to get out alive. My slide on the Moate bypass was like deja vue. I was sure I was going to hit the barrier and write her off but I had a few big slide on a soaking afternoon trackday with the ISDC in Mondello way back in 2001 in my first Imprezza. I just remembered that you have to stay calm and don't be aggressive with the steering wheel. Thankfully I got away with it. I will have to get new tyres as soon as I can afford them. I'm definitely going to get GY Eagle F1's as nothing touches them in the wet, which is where it matters the most.

Frawls

[quote author=mac mac link=topic=12042.msg146294#msg146294 date=1232444991]
good pics lads

@ frawls - brown trouser moment?????
[/quote]
Well if you were traveling in a car at a 45 deg angle facing a concrete barrier at 60 mph that might be considered by some to constitute a "brown trousers moment". Thankfully the impending insurance write off never happened and neither did the brown trousers!

[quote author=FRAWLS link=topic=12042.msg146141#msg146141 date=1232395853]
Yeh the hail stones cut the face off me. It was unbelievably miserable out there but you have to take to bad weather with the good. I got sun burnt at Last years rally of the lakes. It so much better fun driving around between the stages when the sun's out and long walk ins are are a chance for a good chat too. Thankfully the walk ins in Galway were really short.

I had a lucky escape alright. A combo of fat (245) tyres with worn threads, standing slush and probably too much speed for the atrocious conditions made driving conditions incredibly dangerous. I've never aquaplaned in a straight line before, well not for more than a few feet. This was a full on sideways slide for about 100m. Its hard to tell it all happened so fast and yet it was like slowmotion when it was happening.

I have been in a serious accident before when my sister rolled her Renault 5 on ice and we were lucky to get out alive. My slide on the Moate bypass was like deja vue. I was sure I was going to hit the barrier and write her off but I had a few big slide on a soaking afternoon trackday with the ISDC in Mondello way back in 2001 in my first Imprezza. I just remembered that you have to stay calm and don't be aggressive with the steering wheel. Thankfully I got away with it. I will have to get new tyres as soon as I can afford them. I'm definitely going to get GY Eagle F1's as nothing touches them in the wet, which is where it matters the most.

Frawls
[/quote]

You should try uniroyal rainsports 2 Frawls, I have a set and they are excellent..don't get the exposure of the good years but they excellent in all conditions...couldn't fault them..I came from poteznas and they are much better..9mm of thread dept when new...lof @ the customer reviews on any site you find anyone faulting them.. I hit standing water on the N4 just outside mullingar one night at about a ton..big concrete barrier about 2 foot away from me..I know excatly have you feel still get a judder now thinking about it..I don't know how i didnt spin.. awd saved me as I dont think i would of had the skill to recover in a rwd or fwd

:thumbsup: Great pics Brian :subaru:
it was bloody Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :new_puppy_dog_eyes:
@Frawls not a nice feeling alright, i had a nasty experiance on the potenzas hit a lake on the n11 i was sawing at the steering wheel for what seemed like ages, i'd say realy it was about 5-6sec it was like 'concrete barrier, left lane, concrete barrier, left lane and so on, fookin heart nearly stoped :shock2: a few deep breaths wiped the sweat away and a quite word with myself :pray:

@ Dagnut I'll have a look into those uniroyal rainsports 2 for sure. I've read your praise of them before. I had 245 40 ZR18 Bridgestone RE 050A's on my car. Great tyres in the dry but not the best in the wet and this is borne out by the latest tyre test in Autocar which said the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric was the best and Mitchelin Pilot Sport was second. In truth there was nothing between them except the GY F1's were better in the wet than the Pilot sports and the Pilot Sports were slightly better in the dry.

@ Nic Spec C it looks like quite a few of us have had the same kind of heart stopping moments and all because of aquaplaining. It goes to prove wet weather grip should be top of everyone's list when choosing a tyre and not dry weather grip, which is really only an issue on track.

I suppose the bottom line is that there's only so much a tyre can do to stop you aquaplaining. All the best tyres do is put the point of "brown" further up the speedometer than inferior tyres but when the car lifts up off the road on that thin film of water even awd or traction control isn't going to do anything until the tyres can get some grip again and hopefully you haven' hit anything before that happens. I was just lucky enough to have been on the treshold of grip but another 5mph faster and I might not have been so lucky. I'll be treating wet roads with more respect from now on especially until I get new tyres.

Frawls

Back