Overheating

pugtk

Sunday Drivers
So the classic has developed an overheating issue.

Basically after driving for 10min + the temperature starts to creep and all heating is lost.

Almost like an air leak/water leak. Where no water makes it to the matrix.

New stat and new coolant recently enough. I'm not convinced on head gasket issues, rather maybe a rad issue or perhaps a leak appearing when the system pressures up.

Also a 1.3 bar cap is being used, could this possibly could highlight any weak areas? Should I stick the standard .9 cap back on?

Once the car is left to cool off the heating comes back.

Any common issues to look out for in the coolant system?

check if rad pipes are pressurising, circulation problem or possible head gasket maybe

If coolant was recently changed... was it "burped" correctly?
Sounds like air in the system (given that you said there's a new stat and coolant) - and impreza's notorious for it if not properly burped.

Hi
Are you?re Fans kicking in if car is left idling?
Usually take as 10 -12 mins from cold.

If not check you?re fan plug connections,I had this issue a few years back and it turned out the heat from exhaust manifold had melted some connections in the plug,causing my car to overheat as the fans would not kick in,so its worth a try as it can only be a few possible issues that?s causing you?re car to overheat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come to think of it I haven't heard the fans, will check this re bleed the system via the turbo pipe.

You need to really be watching live coolant temps to see where your at. Normal cycle 88-96 degrees. Temp needle only starts rising around112-114 degress

So past the norm of coolant circulation. Pressure in system etc etc etc.

Does the system look rusted like was ran on water only for a long period? Could be a blockage or slow flow through rad.

Does it look like someone ran the likes of a radweld product through the system etc etc. Same as above possible blackage. Slow flow.

When you fresh bled the system and without driving does the normal cycle and fans kick in and off at correct degrees. And only rise when drive it. Check does it rise without boosting. Normal driving. Then if ok. Boost and see if only happens then.

Does it look like previous work done to engine and non genuine/poor quality head gaskets were used.

So many variables.

Last edited:
Back