Oil Coller.... Do I need a thermostat?? - more info required

Hi Hammie,

Not entirely sure on that one, I never had an issue with oil pressure when I fitted one but I also never had a gauge to check it ( excluding the one in the dash ) so couldn't tell you if it went down or not? The one in the dash would indicate if it was too low though so I would say it was fine.

I can tell you that I did have to replace an oil pressue sensor in my car a few months after I fitted it, I doubt it was related as I replaced the sensor and I never saw the light again.

I'd say its like sticking on a front mounted intercooler, extra length makes some difference initially but once up to pressure, makes little to none :thumbsup:

If you are concerned, you can get a gauge from thinkauto that connects onto the oil cooler...

Oil pressure gauge would be a good addition,
I imagen the benifits of cooler oil would out weight the slight lack in pressure,
Plus, the thermostat valve doesn't open (so pressure is not affected) nill ol is very hot!
Dan

It still concerns me slightly that there would be a drop in oil pressure....

So would it be advisable to fit an uprated fuel pump at the same time? Surely an uprated pump could compensate for any drop in pressure and equal the system out again.

Thanks for the advice lads.... Its appreciated....

Its a bit difficult to explain the actual working of the sandwidge plate but once you see it, it becomes clear. The valve works slowly on opening and closing, there is a piston that is filled with some sort of wax and when the heat of the oil brings it to a certain temp, the wax expands and pushes the piston across, which closes one oil path and opens another. This doesn't happen immediatley so there would be ample time for the pressure to build and the heat to be transfered into it.

Say at the start the valve opens enough to let 1% of the circulating oil through, that will be enough to build the pressure and get some heat transference, avoiding a pressure drop and cold oil problems. Providing you installed it correctly and don;t have a huge air pocket.

I would also think ( open to correction here ) that oil does not compress too much, so pressure building would be irrelevent.

Hope this help :thumbsup:

Meant to say, in relation to your question Hammie, an uprated oil pump would always be a good idea, oil cooler or not :thumbsup:

As I said above, I used one with a standard oil pump and had no problems but it was a Honda engine not Subaru.

I personally would think that the standard, STI or WRX would be plenty powerful enough to pump it through the extra :thumbsup:

Maybe someone else with more experience on Subaru oil pumps could say better though

If anyone can let me know if they experience any major issues after fitting one of these

otherwise ill probably fit one in about 6-8 months time

Back