Official WRX launch in aussie land..

scoobyke

26 Aug, 2007

2008 WRX 5 Door Hatch First Steer

“Subaru’s new WRX looks better in the metal than in any of the published photos you might have seen lately. Sure it goes, but its way more friendly than the outgoing model and should appeal to an infinitely broader market”

Subaru has been punished lately as spy shots of the 2008 WRX hatch hit computer screens and magazines around the world.

It’s a vastly different looking car to previous sedan and wagon versions of the REX, but there may just be method in this madness.

I’ve just spent some time behind the wheel of an Obsidian Black Pearl WRX and it’s not all bad. Incidentally, the range of exterior paint jobs includes some previous colours and some new. Choices such as; Spark Silver Metallic, Dark Grey Metallic, Lighting Red, Satin White Pearl and WR Blue Mica should all be popular.

I like the front of the car, a lot! The bonnet scoop is now more an air intake and is way more stylish than the hard-core, boy racer look of previous models. It still looks aggressive but not in any offensive kind of way.

I can’t say the same for the rear of the car. Too much like a standard run of the mill hatchback. The purists won’t like it but thousands more punters will, I can assure you.

Enough chat though. You want to hear how it goes right?

If you’re expecting the usual Boxer engine burble when you fire up the 2.5L intercooled turbo – then you will surely be disappointed. There’s none of that. The engine note at idle isn’t even mildly warm. In fact, if you were blindfolded and started this car, it’s doubtful you would even pick the brand, let alone the actual model.

Nothing wrong with that at all, especially if you’re going after a slightly wider market than the dufduf set.

With 169kW and 320Nm – the specs appear to be the same as the 2007 model, but not quite. Peak power chimes a little earlier at 5200rpm and maximum pull kicks in at a more pleasing 2800rpm, as opposed to 3600rpm.

The shift into first is silky smooth as is the clutch take up. I stand on the pedal and race through the gears nudging 6000 before swapping each of the five forward ratios. It’s fast, no question. There’s minimal turbo lag too, but I can’t get over how quick and easy the shifts are. Anyone, and I mean anyone could drive this car, mums included. It’s almost too easy!

Next up, three or four chicanes at close to the general speed limit. Okay, maybe just a little higher. Steering is accurate, although boost is too much, at least for the dufdufs and me.

Dropping the right pedal further into the second and third chicane, produced noticeable body roll although, the car kept its line and was not unsettled. I suspect the new Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) was functioning properly. Nonetheless, at these rather moderate speeds during these routine manoeuvres, I would have expected little or no load transfer lean.

The suspension seems substantially more compliant than previous WRX models, as speed bumps and light potholes are barely noticeable. This is a car you could live with 24/7.

Brakes are superb, pedal feel is nicely progressive and requires less effort with new Brake Assist function.

There’s a decent size air diffuser too but I’m disappointed to see just one exhaust outlet – this car deserves two pipes - if only in the name of ‘go fast’ styling.

Although the interior and ergonomics remain similar to the outgoing model, the quality of materials used has been upgraded. There are polished aluminium accents throughout the car, mainly on the fascia and door trim although the seats and seat fabric look identical. Nothing wrong with that either, as they offer good support and comfort.

The sports leather steering wheel has a superb feel with audio and cruise buttons now standard.

Instrumentation layout is again similar but switchgear materials have been improved. There’s a 6 disc in dash CD Changer with better than average audio quality although I can’t be sure of actual power or number of speakers. iPodians will rejoice given the MP3 direct input in the centre storage box along with a 12V input for GPS systems or other.

Rear cargo room is substantial with 40/60 split fold rear seats opening up even more space for bikes, boards and kid’s stuff. There’s a high quality cargo cover with an aluminium cross bar to keep prying eyes at bay.

Front side door pockets are large and you also get a decent sized bottle holder.

You’ll notice an odd hook like feature at the top of the rear seat back. It’s for the middle rear passenger’s height adjustable three-point lap and shoulder seatbelt.

“It may not be the hard core street fighter it once was, but gut feel tells me that at $39,990 we’ll see a lot more REXs on the road than ever before”

see http://www.caradvice.com.au/4966/200...h-first-steer/ for more pictures

[quote author=scoobyke link=topic=3426.msg34107#msg34107 date=1188411845]

If you’re expecting the usual Boxer engine burble when you fire up the 2.5L intercooled turbo – then you will surely be disappointed. There’s none of that.

[/quote]

what! they got rid of the burble!

A Few Mods and it'll be back I'd say! It's still a flat four so it has to be there some where!

[quote author=Norris! link=topic=3426.msg34242#msg34242 date=1188426367]
like full straight through maybe :D
[/quote]

exhaust manifold changes be the cause.... :thumbsup:

Hmmm, should do a lot for :subaru: sales - of Legacies! (or Liberties in Ozland) :roll:

[quote author=WetPatch link=topic=3426.msg34114#msg34114 date=1188412316]
Its kinda growing on, looks like a Ford Focus from the side though
[/quote]

hair lice grows on you as well ,does that make it ok

Dave Legacy is right. The 2.5 now uses an equal length manifold so the Scooby burble is gone and an aftermarket unequal length manifold is gonna cost you a lot especially with the mechanic's labour costs.

Also, Subaru in their wisdom have decided not to make any RHD saloon WRX for Australia, Nz, SA, Japan or Ire withthe exception of the USA where they prefer the saloon.

The good news is that Subaru will, contrary to all earlier reports, sell WRX hatchback models in Europe in limited numbers. They will go on sale approx 6 months before the fire breathing STI arrives.

As they will be using the hatchback shape for their forthcoming WRC 08 car it is very unlikely that we will ever see a saloon STI but it wouldn't be the first time Subaru have changed their minds and we all know how they love to keep tinkering with models ;) as they go along so maybe just maybe they will make one :pray:

Frawls

And then you'll lose the "Hair Dresser" car and get yourself a real car again, hey...???  :whistle:  :whistle:  :D :D :thumbsup:

Actually my TT would destroy my old WRX around Mondello in the dry but not stand a chance in the wet. Horses for courses and all that. I'd love to give the missus the TT and get the S 204 down in Nass Kia but I think I'll have to do a few more bank jobs first :lol:

I'm having her remapped in a few weeks so she'll be good for 240 bhp on 95 ul without octane boster which is pretty good and 350 nm torque from 1,800 rpms right through to 5,000 which combined withthe quick ratio 6 speed box will mean some serious in gear times :p

Frawls

[quote author=FRAWLS link=topic=3426.msg34372#msg34372 date=1188481364]... Subaru in their wisdom have decided not to make any RHD saloon WRX for Australia, Nz, SA, Japan or Ire withthe exception of the USA where they prefer the saloon.[/quote]
Mmmm, but don't they prefer LHD in the good ol' US of A???  :ponder:

Mind you, it seems that Subaru have sold plenty of RHD Legacy estates in the USA; to the rural letter carriers (postmen to you or I) who prefer them that way so they can put the letters straight into people's mailboxes! There's actually a '93 reg. example of one of those cars here in Kilkee (just round the corner from me), that was brought back from America, and it's still going strong.  :thumbsup:

[quote author=FRAWLS link=topic=3426.msg34390#msg34390 date=1188494664]
I'm having her remapped in a few weeks so she'll be good for 240 bhp on 95 ul without octane boster which is pretty good and 350 nm torque from 1,800 rpms right through to 5,000 which combined withthe quick ratio 6 speed box will mean some serious in gear times :p

Frawls
[/quote]

Frawls - are to trying to convince us, or yourself that you don't miss your Subaru...?? :lol: :lol: Come on, you can say it - you happy with the Audi - but you seriously miss the Subaru. :D Everyone can make a mistake once. :whistle:

Well lets put it this way, even though I have owned Impreza turbos for seven years after I drove my old scooby last week I found it hard to give the keys back to my cousin (who bought it from me in March). Dont worry I'll have another Scooby but not one of the ugly new hatchback ones. I'm just hoping Subaru cave in and make a RHD STI version of the new saloon.

BTW that MY 1993 RHD Legacy that was imported from the USA sounds awfully like a car I had to sue Subaru Ireland over one time. The owner who brought it back had a serious problem with it as there was an ECU fault. Subaru Ireland wouldn't honour the warranty as it was a Subaru of North America warranty. It was one of those rural postal service Legacys with RHD. The guy had to get it fixed himself in the end as Subaru of Ireland stuck to their guns and refused to honour the warranty.

I wonder if you could get Subaru of North America to make the new 2.5 Legacy Turbo in RHD and then import it back here? There would be no excuses for late post then!

[quote author=FRAWLS link=topic=3426.msg34513#msg34513 date=1188573449]BTW that MY 1993 RHD Legacy that was imported from the USA sounds awfully like a car I had to sue Subaru Ireland over one time.[/quote]
Well I doubt if it was the same one: The sun was shining here this afternoon (hooray!) so I went for a bit of a walk and saw the car along the way, only to find I was a year out and it's on a 92-LK plate (to be honest I wasn't sure if it was '92 or '93 last night).

I wonder if you could get Subaru of North America to make the new 2.5 Legacy Turbo in RHD and then import it back here? There would be no excuses for late post then!
Now there's a thought, I'd even be tempted to apply for a job as a rural postie if they did  :) (but knowing my luck I'd probably get issued with one of their clapped-out old Renault green vans :roll:).

Back