Not Cranking 2004 STI

Great to hear it was something simple strange how that went I have never had to replace one before but sure that's cars glad it's sorted 👍👍

Great to hear it was something simple strange how that went I have never had to replace one before but sure that's cars glad it's sorted 👍👍

Thanks Gary really relived it was so simple to fix but in the same breath I hope that's the end of it :pray::pray:

Yes indeed, hoping thats the end of it but now that you say it I had forgotten that the rear taillight is faulty, stays on for a few nights , goes of, then when you go to have a look at it comes back on again when you touch it so.. . could be just it then :unsure:

Still not sure why it was not cranking tho, but time may tell when its back on the road in july . I will try the old battery first.

That's about all that would blow a main fuse crossed terminals a short in a cable say cigarette lighter windows switch will only ever blow its own fuse. main fuse is only there to stop the whole car melting as for tail lights the only way they can come on is car is on with lights on or you have the parking switch pressed on steering column.

Still not sure why it was not cranking tho, but time may tell when its back on the road in july . I will try the old battery first.
So little update the fuse arrived today in the post so popped it in and the scooby is up and running again so happy days, thanks again to Joe and all you guys on here as looking after the scooby would be a lot harder with out you guys

You said it was cranking started back after you changed 80amp fuse so has something happened again since you installed it

Hi Gary and yes it did to great relief so this is the full story, In the beginning It cranked barely first time, 2nd,3rd 4th 5th crank no cranking, nothing only lights on the dash, next day frantic rush before it rained got the jump leads put them on the wrong terminals then no lights on dash, got new battery no good, looked at all fuses the 80a looked dodgy took it out and it was defo snapped so ordered new 80a and all was good so hopefully it is and time will tell if, thanks for all the comments guys Its good to know I'm with knowable folk. Cheers Gary top man

So you put the jump leads on the wrong terminals , there’s your answer aido , user error not the car

Yes but before my fudge up it would not crank at all
If you left the parkers on (Subaru quirk switch on the steering column) the battery would be flat so it wouldn’t crank then you connect the leads wrong and blow the main fuse .
There you go .
You’re not the first to do it so don’t worry , but please don’t blame the car

leaving these cars parked of course a battery will get low especially the uk cars with the sigma alarms they drain like cliffords i just disconnect my battery to avoid it

alternatively bye a ctek trickle charger if you want to leave it connected :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Trickle charger is a great investment, ctek one is about €100 , connect up and it maintenance free

Trickle charger is a great investment, ctek one is about €100 , connect up and it maintenance free

I wish I had a driveway/garage to be able to use a plug-in trickle charger!

Or do you mean some sort of solar charger?

I was looking at solar trickle chargers that you can leave inside the car and plug into the cigarette socket that would be perfect for me, but I'm not sure that they work in this country.

Back