No power at dash clocks

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
Had to take the dash clocks out earlier to replace some blown bulbs. After putting everything back together, there is now no power at the dash. I took everything apart again to see if anything was left loose but everything is as it was originally. The radio will turn on and the car will start no problem but the dash remains blacked out with the petrol gauge right up at full even though there's only about half a tank in it.

Any suggestions what I should look at to try and get it sorted.

Full tank, happy days, leave as is!

But really it has to be connected up wrong mark, recheck them

Probably a stupid suggestion

Try and remove connections turn upside down and see if they fit/work???

Might work

:smokin:

Don't know if there's any connections with little prongs.could check if any bent

had the same problem one day I took the clocks out of the wagon there was some corrosion on the pins of the clock where the connection goes in just check its not something like that

[quote author=SCOOBYCOLM link=topic=41469.msg474574#msg474574 date=1397597279]
fuel gauge is a lying ba*tard anyway :icon_grin:
[/quote]

Quality :falldownlaugh:

[quote author=SCOOBYCOLM link=topic=41469.msg474574#msg474574 date=1397597279]
fuel gauge is a lying ba*tard anyway :icon_grin:
[/quote]

That's just wishfull thinking...

I think I may have developed epilepsy from my empty light... Subarus should have that warning on them

No car hasn't been jumped. I checked the main fuse and it's fine. All other fuses under the bonnet and under the steering wheel look ok, but I'll check again tomorrow. It's only the 3 connectors at the back of the clocks and as far as I know they only go in one way. I'll have a look for corrosion as Dec suggested.

Check that you havnt damaged one or more of the tracks on the circuit board on the back of the clocks

Haven't had a chance to look over the car again today but just noticed the electric windows are also not working now, they had been working yesterday.

Im nearly 100% its a fuse under the bonnet , have seen this before in one I had for parts, clocks ,electric drivers seat ,windows all would not work.

Visually they all look fine, but tomorrow I'll get a multimeter to each of them and go through them. Hopefully it is something small like a fuse.

Did you bend any of the connector pins by any chance, or pull any of the female terminals back in the plugs

Just finished checking each fuse with a meter. All are fine. Checked fuses under the bonnet and under the steering wheel. Are there fuses located anywhere else in the car?

I've also checked all the connections in the connectors and at the back of the clocks, no corrosion, all pins are straight and the terminals seated properly in the connectors.

This really has me stumped now and has me wishing I'd just left the faded and blown bulbs in place.

If you eliminated all the other options: could it be the bulbs you put in?

- are you sure they are seated right and also they are the right bulbs?
- do you still have the old ones - so you could swap them back in to see if your other issues go back to normal?

I've been searching around different websites to try and get to the bottom of this and came across a couple mentioning an illumination control unit. Has anyone come across one of these before or know were abouts it is located in a Legacy?

@Keaden I tried putting all of the old bulbs in and the whole cluster stayed blacked out.

Back