New Honda NSX

STiBrian

Octane Boostaholics
No I didn't win the lotto & splash out on a new car :icon_cry:

But the new Honda NSX has just been unveiled at the Detroit motor show.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=24990

The original NSX was so far ahead in terms of technology that it punched way above its weight but was always held back by its "eye of the beholder" looks. I think this one is a game changer in that department at least, its gorgeous :wazzup:

great looking motor and its in the new avengers film out this year

Robert-Downey-Jr_-Concept-Car.jpg

Not that impressed to be honest...400bhp isn't going to cut it in the supercar market in 2012...I wouldn't usually complain about headline figures but when they are so far off..the GTR running 560bhp now..the 12c running 590..this car is going to be way of the pace

Original one was never that highly powered either but up for it in handling and would show up many more expensive cars.

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=32795.msg375746#msg375746 date=1326196383]
Original one was never that highly powered either but up for it in handling and would show up many more expensive cars.
[/quote]

Yeah but when it came out it was up against the 348 and the 964 ..it was more powerful than the 964 and only 30bhp down on the 348...this is going to be way behind...If they had stuck to the original ethos and produced another mid-engined, rwd, lightweight car I think they would have more success..this is going into GTR territory with AWD drive and torque vectoring etc...the GTR will probably be a lot cheaper as well and will have 5 years of development behind it before this comes out...if it ever comes out..it's not the first NSX concept

But the GTR weighs 1730kg.

There is no reason that Honda engineers couldn't bring this in @ 1500kg's if they're given sufficient budget.

They're talking small & light to balance out the massive power of the likes of the GTR's

But its not just up against the GTR....if pricing is in line with the last NSX it will be up against the 458 and the 12c..both of which are running around close to 400bhp per tonne..the GTR even at a lardy 1700kgs still has around 320bhp per tonne...this will have around 270 if it comes in at 1500kg ..which with electric motors and batteries etc is probably a big ask..
I don't mean to be negative about it ..original NSX is halo car for me would love one, but Honda are deluding themselves if they think they can take on the current batch of supercars with this

The 100bhp being delivered from the electric motors would be instant though, has to make a difference to driveability & overall torque curve.

Probably a fairer comparison to pit it against the audi r8 though with awd. Its unlikely to be a genuine competitor to the 458 but I genuinely believe it will be well short of that in pricing terms also.

The R8 is now 6 years old and ready for retirement by the time Honda even get a road going concept of this...point is it should be taking on the baby Ferrari , that's what the original NSX did.

yeah but the "baby" ferrari is £200k+ sterling. The market has changed though since 1990 when the NSX came out. The 348 was only an average car that traded on its badge whereas the 458 is widely regarded as the best driving car to date. Its got alot to live upto in that regard...maybe they should have let the NSX name die & create a new name? Maybe they still will?

Yeah thats the point it's a sports car not a supercar..458 is 170k for base spec but most would come in over 200 yeah

dont like the look of that , too futureistic lookin imo . 10 yrs before its time

very nice
I think it will look great in the flesh
still will never beat the old one with the Senna connection :icon_pray: :icon_pray:

as long as honda dont make it too dear it might have some hope of competing against other cars out there,the mistake with the previous models was the price tag was too high which left it in the class with ferrari and the likes but it just couldnt cut it,i prefer the looks on the last one but each to their own

Back