NCT failure

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Failed on emissions, i dont think there is anything wrong with the car mechanically wise, maybe something small like exhaust or gasket leak, but i dont think it would cause this. Gave it a good drive on the way to the center to get it nice on hot but failed on high idle emissions:

Oil temp: 82c

Low idle(760rpm)
CO 0.02 vol%
HC 13 ppm

High idle(2850 rpm)
Lambda 1.02
CO 0.51 vol% and it need to be below .2%
HC 47 ppm

He said he gave it an extra few mins to get hot but thats the lowest it got.

Car is a twinscroll legacy with vf36 and sports cat cell just before the cat back system. Passed fine with this cat last time in 2012. I need to connect up my laptop and check the AFR values etc. Also got an Innovate wideband AFR gauge today so ill fit that and see what the AFR is like. Hopefully its something simple, rather than a knackered cat or sensor as they are all less than 2 years old

Seems like the sports cats don't last that long? few people seem to be failing after initially passing

I've passed with same sports cat 4 years ago and 2 years ago, it's up again in July

They are basically motor factor quality .. Good to get through one Nct and then that's it

My wagon failed the NCT on emissions the first time it went through.

So used Dipatane, in half a tank, warmed it up and it then passed.

Same here sport cat fitted for years.
Never an issue with Nct at all three times.

Air/fuel lambda went alright which fcuked up the readings.
Replaced it and all ok.

I used the diptane stuff. Need to check the logs and see if its running closed loop fueling on idle,

@dan

dont waste your time and money with diptane on your problem..
cat is not working is the simple answer

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=41130.msg471248#msg471248 date=1395232995]

@dan

dont waste your time and money with diptane on your problem..
cat is not working is the simple answer
[/quote]

Or its running rich , AFR tables don't look great need to grab some logs and get a tweak might fix the jssuey

So souhans are 95% sure its the cat. Have it booked in for next Friday for new sports cat. I'm getting a good deal from him since the last one supplied failed. Better quality magnaflow one going in.

Last one was also magnaflow cat but he said probably more suited to a normal road car driven normally not tracked around mondello a few times! New cat looks well made proper sports racing cat whereas last one looked a bit "universal"! Ilk probably get a straight section fabbed up after NCT and swap accordingly to make most of turbo back exhaust when not needing nct

Back