NCT Emissions fail

KrakityJones

ISDC Club Member
Ah just when I thought I was sorted.... NCT today after a long wait and failed on Emissions, but oddly only on high idle - low idle passed well below limits. Would have expected if it was Lambda or MAF or something else it's show high reading on both low and high idle.

Absolutely nothing changed with the car (well excluding drivetrain bits) and previous two NCTs have high idle readings of 0.02 last year, 0.2 the year before. Today was 0.5. Only change is that crappy E10 petrol is everywhere now but I thought that was supposed to help with emissions.

Only thing of note is it hasn't been driven much, or at all really in the past 4 months and I didn't give it as much welly going to the test centre as I usually would, having said that it's a half hour drive away so would have been well warmed up. Tempted to just blast about in it, throw some dipetane in and put it through again. Probably a waste of time.

Any ideas what I need to be looking out for here?

Post the Sheet up of the Emissions part and will have a look . Mightn’t have being up to temp
Was lamba reading ok

Lamda 1.01 which I think is good? (Last year 1.03, prior year 1.02). HC 16 ppm would suggest it's not burning rich (again I think)

Sheet below. Good news for me is everything else is perfect.

nct.jpg

So without doing a lot it's passed on re-test, happy days. Not sure what did it but I filled with the premium maxol stuff (I know probably does sod all but hey why not), added dipetane, went through a half tank of that mix, and lastly drove the billox out of it on the way to the test centre. Filled up again there to dilute the stuff I added, still suspicious of it. Mad though - it went from 0.5% way down to 0.09%.

I'd agree with that, I drove very differently on the way there this time, but moreso it wasn't sitting out in the yard cooling down for a half hour before it was tested this time, it was taken in about 2 minutes after I arrived. Anyway whatever the cause that's a relief as it's been off the road most the year and I've spend enough getting it back. Was very close to giving up and selling it at one stage.

good man sorted for another year .
Know the feeling 1 thing after another hopefully get to enjoy it now đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Back