NCT brake test rollers

Thats what I mean tho...is there 2 rollers so all wheels are spinning? As far as I seen, one roller, and back wheels on it only
One set of rollers and the way it works is one wheel spins normal and the other spins opposite cos of the diffs in theses cars or most 4wd. But the tester has to select 2 or 4wd on the system before he does the test my car was done on the rollers yesterday and no issues.

One set of rollers and the way it works is one wheel spins normal and the other spins opposite cos of the diffs in theses cars or most 4wd. But the tester has to select 2 or 4wd on the system before he does the test my car was done on the rollers yesterday and no issues.
Ah, fair enough, that makes sense so now....kinda...well, as much as it would ever make sense to me 🤣
Fair enough, I won't go back giving out stick lol 😆

My car was tested on rollers only yesterday and has LSD front and had no issues ??
Any 4wd car or any car for that matter that has a limited slip diff fitted can only be tested outside and not on the brake rollers ..... be sure to let them know at the counter if it has LSD fitted!

They've since removed the words "LSD" and "Limited Slip Differential" from the NCT manual.

The manual (up to date as of 2023) now says "Where the brakes cannot be tested on a roller brake tester, due to the design of the vehicle, a road test must be carried out using a decelerometer to evaluate brake efficiency."

and also further states "If the tester has any doubt regarding the service brake configuration then a decelerometer test must be conducted."

If I was an NCT tester I wouldn't be arsed. What's the point in taking the risk? For the sake of potentially being right? Decelerometers are still in the test centres, so I don't see the problem with asking for them to use one.

All 4wd/AWD systems are different, so can the machine differentiate between them and how to test each? If so, how does it do it? Even across the same model year? Newage 6 speeds with DCCD will disengage the centre diff when the handbrake is pulled. A non-DCCD gearbox can't because it's permanent AWD. So I'd be asking how can the new machines differentiate between these boxes? It can't rely on reg or chassis number, and 100% they definitely don't have a glossary of gearbox codes to go looking for on the box and then put into the machine. We all know there's classics running 6 speed boxes. Some DCCD and some not. So reg plate details are going to be inaccurate.

Has anyone asked what rollers it is they're using so customers can make an informed decision? Will they even give out those details. I remember they wouldn't hand over details of the noise testing equipment to a friend of mine because he was contesting they weren't using the equipment as per the manufacturers instructions but were failing him on noise. It was only when a solicitor got involved and then he got a letter off the manufacturer stating how the equipment is to be used could he come back at them.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this...so, sorry for direct question, but 2004 Non DCCD STI, should that have been on the rollers? I don't know if I have LSD or anything as standard...no idea. Mine was on the rollers tho, it was parked right outside the roller door into the test center, so no room for outside brake test. Drove straight in and started test

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this...so, sorry for direct question, but 2004 Non DCCD STI, should that have been on the rollers? I don't know if I have LSD or anything as standard...no idea. Mine was on the rollers tho, it was parked right outside the roller door into the test center, so no room for outside brake test. Drove straight in and started test

That's what I'm saying. Your cars wheels are permanently engaged in AWD as you have no adjustable centre differential. Whereas my car will disengage the rear wheels from drive when the handbrake is pulled. Lads are saying all 4wd and AWD vehicles can now go on to the "new" rollers that the centres are using. What I'm asking is how, because not all 4wd and awd systems operate the same.

Last edited:
That's what I'm saying. Your cars wheels are permanently engaged in AWD as you have no centre differential. Whereas my car will disengage the rear wheels from drive when the handbrake is pulled. Lads are saying all 4wd and AWD vehicles can now go on to the "new" rollers that the centres are using. What I'm asking is how, because not all 4wd and awd systems operate the same.
Yeah I'm with you man. I've no idea. I've a retest tomorrow in a different center. Going to chat with someone there and see whats what

But as I've said above lads they switch the settings on the rollers to allow for our cars as the cousin who used to work in the Naas centre said they're doing jeeps and fresh jeeps including X5 range rovers,mitsi evos Subaru's etc on the rollers,my own car was done last week and was done on the rollers with no issues at all so most of the information is horse sh*t.
The cousin was telling me that the roller spins one way on one side and the opposite on the other side as not to do any damage. They will still do what the call the tappy test but that's at their own discretion if they want to use it or not. The reason they brought in the system to do the likes of our cars is that tappy test isn't 100% accurate but still works and is still ok to use in a test situation.

Yeah I had the retest last Friday Gordon and yer man said the exact same. They switch settings to allow for AWD/4WD etc with one side turning the opposite direction. It was a retest, so he wouldn't have been checking brakes so had a good non biased chat with him, he was honest and transparent about it all so yeah, fair enough I said lol as long as you tell the tester then it should be OK. He said all centers were updated about 6 months ago with the new system

Yes same just did my test in Ballymun on Monday morning and it went on the rollers. No issue at all.

Yeah I had the retest last Friday Gordon and yer man said the exact same. They switch settings to allow for AWD/4WD etc with one side turning the opposite direction. It was a retest, so he wouldn't have been checking brakes so had a good non biased chat with him, he was honest and transparent about it all so yeah, fair enough I said lol as long as you tell the tester then it should be OK. He said all centers were updated about 6 months ago with the new system
Exactly all test centres were updated and like I said one wheel turns opposite to the other so it doesn't bing and do harm. So there's no issue to use it so most information as always is scaremongering

Back