MY03 Legacy B4 RSK - Engine light flashing under hard breaking

EoinF

ISDC Club Member
Hi folks,

As the title might convey, I'm a little confused. I noticed my engine light flashing when breaking going through roundabouts earlier on.

Pulled in to confirm, and when I push down the brakes hard and go full lock to the right (doesn't happen for any other circumstance), the light flashes and the engine starts stuttering slightly.

I'm putting it down to either the high winds knocking something loose or a dodgy power steering pump, as I genuinely haven't a notion.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Let it cool down there for a little bit, engine is lumpy on startup. Light is staying on, and stable after 30 seconds or so.

Bit of a crystal ball situation, could be a number of things but the wind wouldn’t be one of them .
See what code it’s giving and go from there

Got the car into the garage (don't have an OBD2 scanner, which I'll need to buy at some point). They reckon it's the camshaft position sensor, which would explain the symptoms I'm seeing.
Will update more when I get it replaced.

Sweet stuff, may as well replace both while there.
If its the same as the impreza, one is fairly easily accessible, the other (drivers side I think) is fairly tight at the back of the block.
Handy though, good fix if so 👌

Sweet stuff, may as well replace both while there.
If its the same as the impreza, one is fairly easily accessible, the other (drivers side I think) is fairly tight at the back of the block.
Handy though, good fix if so 👌
Hey, are you sure there's 2? On the documentation I can find online (clubsub in NZ, mainly), it says that there's 1 sensor for turbocharged versions and 2 sensors for the NA versions.

Is there any definitive consensus? I can check the service manual (also found online, so a pdf) that I have for it and see if it mentions location(s) when I get home.

Not 100% sure with the B4 man, but I changed two in my Impreza. I would have thought it would have had two aswel, not sure tho.

Was it the cam sensor and Crank sensor that you changed at the same time eoin
Cam sensor. Eli had done the passenger one, and I ordered that accidentally, and replaced it again, but double checked with him and then he said drivers side needed to be done. So ordered that also, had to get from 4turbo I think as was hard enough find. It's a different looking sensor..more Angled if I recall correctly

One came with the harness, and about 120 degrees bend22056AA091.jpg
The other had no harness, and around 90 degrees bend 51jaWQwBQuL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Fairly sure the one with the harness is drivers side
The other one, is at the front of the block, kinda behind the AC unit on passenger side

Hey, so checked the service manual I have, only one cam sensor - it's under and slightly behind the oil filler cap area, and the crank sensor is under the alternator.

1706220764286.png
P.S: I've posted the service manual that I have in the section for them, hopefully it'll be of use to people in the future.

Last edited:
The one with the 120 deg connection is from an engine in the next model with avcs and 2 rear cam sensors

Back