Modifying downpipe

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
So in order to figure out the cause for emissions failure, i have the car booked in with Souhans exhausts for next week to find out if that cat is gone, might still be covered under a warranty since they fitted it. My downpipe to cat back section isn't ideal anyway, so it might be a good chance to replace it with something that comes with a decent sports cat and is one piece design. My problem is all the downpipes are mainly for single scroll turbo's so i was thinking of modifying one designed for US legacy and get a twinscroll flange welded on. Also is an open bellmouth or divorced bellmouth a better option?

Was looking at something like this:

Welded onto something like this:

a20791712c34822ae9fefc_m.jpg

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-2429/Invidia-05-pls--AT-LGT/Detail

Anywhere around Dublin that could car out this kind of modification?

theres another place like souhans Dan
its around rathmines or somewhere
not sure off name but check golden pages and google maybe you will find something

Hi Dan,
I am just after getting an exhaust built from a company called Jon Exhaust's in Newry Co. Down 048 3026 4371
If you have a morning available tip up to them, they will build an exhaust in a few hours for you for about 500 euro notes.
They will do pretty much whatever you want, might be worth a look..????

yjeqyqeh.jpg

What about this on ebay don't think it has a cat but would this cause an NCT failure also?
Was thinking about it for mine because there is a slight rattle in my car and the only thing left is that cat in the down pipe!its doing my head in I'd love to buy the exhaust of you but if I'm doing that I'd have to sort out down pipe!!

Cheers lads ill have a look at those places

@Adrian, you need a cat to get the emissions down for NCT, Kinugawa ones are catless so no good. ALso you need the legacy flanged down pipe as they are different to the impreza twinscroll ones

Ya thought so Dan I like to change my down pipe to see if it solves my rattle but it say it will be hard get one.

Adrian I have a spare downpipe you could try has a bit of a weld on it but still works fine at least u would know if that's your problem

Jesus that would be great if you did I'm not sure what else the rattle could be it's only at certain RPM but not consistent it's a strange one and it's not heat shields because they got taken off in frustration!!

@Adrian: is the rattle there always around the same RPM?
-And... does it make any difference if on or off boost (yes/no, quieter/louder rattle dependent on boost)?

It's really intermittent it's worse when coming off boost like decelerating from high rpm in 3rd,sounds to be at my feet and I have all heat shields off the down pipe and wrapped but the noise is still there,sudden jerk in reverse sometimes makes it rattle??

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=41307.msg1#msg1 date=1396463142]
loose pipe on the fire wall adrian :dontknow:
[/quote]yea dose sound like a loose pipe in that area I thought it was a break line or something or fuel line but it's on the wrong side for a fuel line.

If it is a high pitched rattle.... check that all bolts/nuts on exhaust are fully tight to right torque.

Had an issue on my blob where had a high pitched rattle between 3000-3500rpm on full boost or letting fully off the accelerator, but wasn't there when driving along on light throttle even at those rpms. In the end it was the connection between the up-pipe and the turbo that one of the nuts had worked lose and the rattle was the metal gasket vibrating with the blow past.

If you had any of the exhaust connections (up pipe, down pipe, collector / exhaust manifold lose... check all those connections where there is a metal gasket.

[quote author=Keadeen link=topic=41307.msg1#msg1 date=1396475414]
If it is a high pitched rattle.... check that all bolts/nuts on exhaust are fully tight to right torque.

Had an issue on my blob where had a high pitched rattle between 3000-3500rpm on full boost or letting fully off the accelerator, but wasn't there when driving along on light throttle even at those rpms. In the end it was the connection between the up-pipe and the turbo that one of the nuts had worked lose and the rattle was the metal gasket vibrating with the blow past.

If you had any of the exhaust connections (up pipe, down pipe, collector / exhaust manifold lose... check all those connections where there is a metal gasket.
[/quote]
I have had the turbo off three times in the past six months foe turbo rebuild and then engine rebuild and it all seems good there,all new gaskets nuts and bolts fitted there too.confused.com!!

Back