MIKKO HIRVONEN RETIRING !!!!!!!

wagon dec

Member Number 257
4575_MikkoHirvonen-Spain-2014_001_896x504.jpg

Mikko Hirvonen will retire from the WRC following next week’s final round of the season at Wales Rally GB (13 - 16 November).

Following speculation over his 2015 plans, the 34-year-old Finn confirmed today (Thursday) that he will bow out after 13 seasons at the top.

Hirvonen plans to devote more time to his family after a career in which he finished runner-up in the drivers’ championship four times, and played a key role in Ford winning back-to-back manufacturers’ titles in 2006 and 2007.

“Throughout the many years of my competitive career, I have focused on myself a lot. Rallying has taken up a large part of my life and the pace of the calendar has been fairly unrelenting.

“I have enjoyed absolutely every minute of it and although I still love driving now, I would also like to concentrate more on other important things which are part of my life, like my children and my family,” said Hirvonen, who has claimed 15 wins and 68 podiums from 162 starts.

He made his WRC debut in 2002 and spent most of his career driving for Ford, apart from a year at Subaru in 2004 and two seasons at Citroen in 2012 and 2013. He returned to Ford this year as lead driver for M-Sport World Rally Team.

“I have so many incredible memories from the last 13 seasons. I have travelled all around the world, met some fantastic people and have loved every rally and every fight I’ve had with some exceptional drivers. I won some and lost some, but I will look back on these moments to the end of my days with a great big smile on my face,” he said.

Hirvonen reserved special thanks for co-driver Jarmo Lehtinen, who partnered him on all but two starts.

“It has been a privilege to work with Jarmo and none of this would have happened without him. We met for the first time at Helsinki Airport in 2001, before flying to Italy where we were meant to be competing on our first rally together.

Greatest rivals - Hirvonen with Sébastien Loeb before their 2011 Wales Rally GB title duel

“It was the beginning of a great friendship. In these 13 years full of laughter, adventures, wins, losses and passions, we have experienced everything together,” he said.

Hirvonen had the misfortune to be at his peak at the same time as nine-time world champion Sébastien Loeb and the duo enjoyed a huge rivalry.

“They were the greatest battles and the ones I loved the most, whether they were won or lost. Seb was a rival and team-mate for whom I had, and still have, a lot of respect and I think the feeling was mutual,” he added.

Mikko Hirvonen in numbers

Fact

Total

Starts: 162
Wins: 15
Runner-up: 28
Podiums: 68
Stage wins: 259
Points scored: 1192
Consecutive wins: 4
Consecutive podiums: 8
Consecutive points finishes: 22

•Hirvonen and Lehtinen talk exclusively to WRC Live's Becs Williams about the news, their time within the WRC and what the future holds for them both. Listen to the interview here
•Tomorrow: Hirvonen speaks to wrc.com about his career memories

4579_wilson-tribute-pic-2014_888_896x504.jpg

M-Sport managing director Malcolm Wilson has paid tribute to long-time Ford driver Mikko Hirvonen, who announced today that he will retire from the WRC at the end of the year.

Hirvonen and his co-driver Jarmo Lehtinen drove for the British-based M-Sport squad for nine seasons between 2003 and 2014 and played a crucial role in securing Ford’s back-to-back World Rally Championship titles in 2006 and 2007.

Throughout their career, the duo accumulated 259 stage wins and won 14 rallies at the wheel of Ford Focus RS and Ford Fiesta RS cars built by M-Sport. They finished as runner-up in the drivers’ and co-drivers’ championships on three separate occasions.

“Mikko and Jarmo have given the team so much over the years and I look back on our time together with a lot of very happy memories,” said Wilson (above). “They formed one of the sport’s most successful partnerships and we shall not forget their talent, determination and commitment.

“They were instrumental in securing back-to-back World Rally Championships for Ford and each of their 14 victories with us holds a lot of very special memories. A lot of crews have passed through our doors, but few were held in as high a regard as Mikko and Jarmo who have always been immensely popular members of the team.

“I speak for everyone at M-Sport when I thank them for everything we achieved together and wish them every success and happiness for the future,” he added.

it won't be the last we'll see of him i'm sure of that, he was great driver but sebastian leob was in a different league in my opinion

Still the only driver to get close to loeb he was runner up four times if there was no loeb he would be four times champion, but never worked out for him great driver imo

Such a pity Markko Martin retired early though - would definitely have shaken things up over the last 10 years

Was lucky to have seen him at 3 different rallies around Ireland, one stage of the cork 20 near my home he took this downhill hairpin right flattening into a 90 left in one beautiful sweep, the focus looked so balanced and he made it look so easy, I think himself, gronholm and loeb were all on another level from 2007 on.

Seen him in rally ireland twice and in the spanish wrc too. Serious pilot. Wonder whos gonna step into the ford seat in his place next year?

Always liked mikko as he was alway an honest driver and is a seriously good pilot :scoobyblueisdc: think he was a bit quite in the team and if he had shouted more Would have made a difference

he has been my favourite for years I always taught he was a down to earth sound lad and a great driver at least he came across that way on the tv

Always saw him along the same lines as Petter - down to earth, easy going and approachable type of guy.

Shame he's retiring without a WDC under his belt - he certainly deserved one.

Back