Michael Schumacher

keith dublin

Member Number 161Full ISDC Members 2015
In a bad way in hospital
His head injury looks to be worse than what they thought

F1 champion Michael Schumacher 'critical' after ski fall
10 minutes ago

Michael Schumacher, seven-time Formula 1 world champion, is in a "critical condition" after a skiing accident, says the French hospital at which he is being treated.

The 44-year-old German "was suffering a serious brain trauma with coma on his arrival" the hospital in the south-east city of Grenoble said in a statement.

Schumacher's management confirmed his critical condition, reports said.

He was skiing off-piste with his son in the Alps when the accident occurred.

Schumacher was wearing a helmet when he fell and hit his head against a rock, Meribel resort director Christophe Gernignon-Lecomte said earlier.

Early reports had said his condition was not life-threatening.

Mr Gernignon-Lecomte said Schumacher was conscious when he was attended to by two ski patrollers who requested helicopter evacuation to the nearby valley town of Moutiers.

He was subsequently moved to the bigger facility at Grenoble.

The German, who is due to turn 45 on 3 January, retired from F1 for a second time in 2012.

Professor Gerard Saillant, a close ally and friend of Schumacher, and his former Ferrari team boss Jean Todt, are at the hospital.

Prof Saillant is an expert in brain and spine injury. He oversaw Schumacher's medical care when the German broke his leg in the 1999 British GP.

The hospital statement was signed by the facility's neurosurgeon, the professor in charge of its anaesthesia/revival unit, and the hospital's deputy director.

[quote author=gerry link=topic=40188.msg457676#msg457676 date=1388356133]
ya just seen this hopefully he'll pull through
[/quote]

+1. It seems like the race track is the safest place for a racing driver.

Very little getting out about his condition so that link is pure speculation , must be a slow news day ,,,,,

Follow the formula one doctor on Twitter he explains everything and the different stages of recovery. Puts it in simple easy to understand lingo too.

Good to read there's improvement - but by the sound of it there's a very long road to travel before even regaining basic functions and independence. I do hope for him and his family he has a true shot at regaining independence.

Such a shame to see such a great champion like him left this way.
No matter what he did or how he won some of his many championships, I feel so sorry for him.

I always thought eventually after a few years of medical care, that he would appear at goodwood or the likes for a run in an old F1 car of his from days gone by.

Hope it does happen some day.
No life for a man of his great accomplishments.
Very sad.

Hope Jules pulls through too.

He is out the induced coma keith but still in a coma if ya know what I mean he is breathing until aided but otherwise still very serious

Back