Mapping in the South

To answer that question.. No I don't think anyone down your way is into mapping Subarus.
There are plenty of guys that will say they can map it, ultimately you want to get the best you can.

It's like wanting heart surgery, do you want the guy that does a bit of surgery in his spare time and on mates, and that's never done heart surgery before but will give it a shot... Or do you want a heart surgeon who does it the whole time??? :)

With regards this car,
It's bad enough going out and buying any car, there will always be risk.. But you can try limit your risk and buying a car that has known problems and that it's not known if it was every properly diagnosed and fixed.. Would be IMO doubling your risk.

Rich... that's a great insurance quote! Many on here are 10-20 years older than you with 12-20 years no claims and are only barely paying less. I paid 742 last year fully comp on my Hawk STI and am 38 with 17yrs no claims like. Who are you with??

RE car: yes a lot of suspect / conflicting / confusing info on what happened and why etc... that said, could still be ok.
As Ken and others said, it's all about risk... so... IF you really like this car... negotiate a (much) better price and spend a couple of hundred to get it up to one of the knowledgeable and reputable traders on here and get a FULL health check done (compression test, emissions, drop sump and inspect and bore inspection with camera)... check for obvious accident damage too... costs a few bob, but then you know where you stand and as long as you get a good enough price to off set those costs, plus the costs for a good map and rectifying any issues found -- then why not if the car is otherwise straight and to your liking.
The most important thing is a straight shell - anything mechanical is easily put right provided you have the budget - so risk is fine on mechanicals as long as you bought cheaply and have / allow for the budget to fix. Whatever you do - do it eyes wide open and budget realistically so you don't end up with a pretty ornament to put on the driveway and no money to get it back on the road.

As for mapping...
* There are probably 2-3 people in Ireland with some experience on Scoobies who could do a good job and people in the club have used them are happy with the results.
* There are 2 Scooby mapping experts who come over from the UK a couple of times per year. They are very good and have done hundreds and hundreds of these specific cars, so you have a fair idea of what to expect -- only thing of course is that if you need a tweak or something goes awry then you have to wait till they come over again, which is a pain.
* Even in the whole UK (15x the size of IE) there are only about a handful of Scooby experts, so hence don't expect to find too many at home.
* Apart from risks with someone who isn't as used to them - keep in mind that it can work out much cheaper going for an expert as they have loads of "base maps" they have from doing similar cars and then tweak them to suit your car. Someone who does mapping can map your car, even safely, given enough time (5-10x - or more than an expert with close maps on file)... but that is time you will be billed for (as they start from scratch instead of using a close map from a previous mapping session). So... there could be a lot of additional costs for the actual mapping, as well as risk, when using someone not as familiar with these cars.

[quote author=KENC link=topic=41305.msg473053#msg473053 date=1396444176]
To answer that question.. No I don't think anyone down your way is into mapping Subarus.
There are plenty of guys that will say they can map it, ultimately you want to get the best you can.

It's like wanting heart surgery, do you want the guy that does a bit of surgery in his spare time and on mates, and that's never done heart surgery before but will give it a shot... Or do you want a heart surgeon who does it the whole time??? :)

With regards this car,
It's bad enough going out and buying any car, there will always be risk.. But you can try limit your risk and buying a car that has known problems and that it's not known if it was every properly diagnosed and fixed.. Would be IMO doubling your risk.
[/quote]

as far I know aonghus based in galway is getting some good reviews mapping subarus/club cars

Strange that Baz, I always heard Galway called the west. Maybe it's different for you do.

:goodpost: :multijump:

Well lads, happy to report that Rich3248 has taken all the good advice
and has spotted another car , which he hopes , will be the one !!

....................that said, it looks like he's heading to the dark side :eek2

NIall.

[quote author=KENC link=topic=41305.msg473135#msg473135 date=1396479408]
He is not in the south do is he
[/quote]

couldn give shite were he is, all Im sayin is I believe he's doin some great jobs on subarus

[quote author=larSTI8 link=topic=41305.msg473181#msg473181 date=1396555328]
[quote author=KENC link=topic=41305.msg473135#msg473135 date=1396479408]
He is not in the south do is he
[/quote]

couldn give shite were he is, all Im sayin is I believe he's doin some great jobs on subarus
[/quote]

Good man

Back