Looking to but a CB Radio

i dont have the means to do a group buy, cant use my paypal anymore as ive no credit card. i can pass the details of who i got them from to somebody that wants to d a group buy but that person will have to factor in the ciggarette lighter connection and the time to solder them on to the power leads. also if paypal is used the person receiving the money gets charged so bear that in mind.

[quote author=northdublin link=topic=23250.msg278970#msg278970 date=1272933785]
all righty ill try keep this simple......most modern cb radios have the capability to transmit on the varying frequencies allocated by the region they are sold in. some countrys have strict limits on the freq and the power output. however most countrys including ireland dont police the cb bands unless sombody starts interfering in something important.
the advantage of the modern cb is that when you change from one region to another ie, ireland to the uk you can switch the radio over to suit the region your in.
for a cb used in ireland your looking to get a radio that transmits on the 40 channels between 26.965 mhz and 27.405 mhz.preferably with am and fm.
to be honest as far as modern cbs go, one is just as good as the next, i would suggest to stick to the well known brands like president, cobra, tti, but do not buy a radio that has 27/81 stamped on it as this is restricted to the uk band only.
the cb is was probably the first social networking device ever but these days its use is usually restricted to events and specific communications.
as for the marshels at rallys they are probably using two way radios, well if they have any sense they will be. if they were to use cb's they are open to interferance and shitehawking from spectators and locals who have access to cbs. if they have to talk over a couple of miles there probably on high band vhf or on uhf. there are websites that could probably tell you the exact freq but you would need a scanner to receive them. once you go outside the realms of the cb bands the airwaves become policed much more stringently so they would have to be licenced so somebody somewhere has the list of radios and the freqs there on.
if they are using pmr 446 radios which are licence free they would only have very short range and you would have to be on top of them to receive them, also pmr 446 is an awkward band to receive on a scanner because of the channel spacing and is also open to interferance from idiots with similar radios.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info,
had a look in Maplin there the other day and scanners seem to be in the 200e zone and cb's around 125e with aerial

if your going to buy a scanner dont buy it in maplins or in my opinion dont buy it in this country. get onto ebay and get a bearcat 220 xlt. probably the easiest and one of the quickest scanners ever made. they stopped making them ages ago but can still be got. ive had dozens of scanners able to receive everything from planes on their way to iraq to search and rescue in scotland but i still allways go back to the bearcat for finding stuff. if your out and about like at a rally few scanners come close to its speed and selectivity for searching for frequencies. the newer bearcat scanners have closecall which tracks down and stores frequncies that are nearby. if looking for something compact and newer then the yeasu vr120d is a good scanner but is controled trough a few buttons with lots of functions unlike the bearcat that has a big keypad for easier use.

If its just temporary then you's can have a loan of my one. Got it from Mick's group buy so same as the picture that Phil put up. :thumbsup:

[quote author=Mark Cahill link=topic=23250.msg279273#msg279273 date=1273010365]
If its just temporary then you's can have a loan of my one. Got it from Mick's group buy so same as the picture that Phil put up. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the offer but I think I will buy one there is a few meets comming up where they will be used.
Do you use yours much apart from when you are going to meets?

Rob

[quote author=Smokey 24 link=topic=23250.msg279666#msg279666 date=1273150114]
[/quote]

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the offer but I think I will buy one there is a few meets comming up where they will be used.

Rob
[/quote]

In theyear i've had it i've not used it once! Bar just messing around with it at home. Haven't had the opportunity yet! :doh:

[quote author=Smokey 24 link=topic=23250.msg279666#msg279666 date=1273150114]
[/quote]

Hi Mark,

Rob
[/quote]

I had mine in the car after i got it for a few weeks and there is nothing to be heard on the CB channels these days :icon_rolleyes:

But the range is brilliant and great reception when chatting on it

not much to be heard these days, like i said really only used on occasion by groups like ourselves in convoy.the next band up would have more activity especially in the summer months cause of the skip with ppl trying to dx. technically its illegal to transmit out of the cb bands but its not policed in this country. its not practical to group buy for radios above the cb band as most have to be modified to tx in the upper bands and your getting into the whole thing of side bands and differant antennas so not worth the hassle for something that might only see the light of day twice a year. years ago ppl in clubs inc car clubs used to dx to each other which is basically long distance radio comms when the conditions are right.
for instance an irish club talking to a spanish or polish club. can be a bit of crack especially if you have met the members or there is an irish person over there.

i remember years ago when on the cb forget what channel but there was always some dude on sayin mass anyone ever heard this ?

yeah some company a while back came up with the crazy idea to install transmitters in churches and sell little receivers to all the oul dears within range of the broadcast. they chose the cb band cause they thought they would be licence exempt. you will notice every church in the country has a white antenna about 18 foot long called an antron 99. there was murder a while back when another company started using the fm band right at the top near 107 mhz, because from 108 mhz on is the airband it was soon shut down.

Ha All

Bought a TTI YCB-1100.

Does anybody know if you hook a CB radio to a cigarette lighter. I have the cigarette lighter adapter with a 10 amp fuse. The CB is a 13 Volt with 1.5 -/+. So it should wok of a 12 Volt car battery. :dontknow:

Thanks All

yeah connecting to the cigarette lighter is ok. keep a few spare fuses handy cause they allways blow when you least expect it or when you need the radio. i think they usually have a 2 amp glass fuse. the next thing you need to do is tune the antenna to the radio. this ensures that the max ammount of signal is getting out and if its not done can damage the radio over time due to the signal being reflected back down the antenna into the radio.

Back