Legacy Ipod options

Hi John. I assume youre looking for a non-messy way to use your I-touch.i.e. you dont want wires all over the inside of the car. The only way to do it is to try to find a mcintosh/ipod interface cable that plugs into the changer control on the rear of the unit. I've had a look online and cant find one. Even if one can be found it most likely wont charge the IPOD,apple have made some changes that prevent other manufacturers products from charging theirs. However some ICE manufacturers(Alpine being one) have made a "dongle" to get around this problem,so I assume all manufacturers will follow suit. Your other option is to use the AUX function on your unit-a simple 3.5mm male to male cable will do this,but again no charging and the cable is a little messy looking. Essentially changing your head unit isn't an option due to your climate control being part of it-it can be done but only with a facia adaptor from Subaru which is prohibitively expensive(see Dans post above). I would not recommend chopping wires to try and hard wire-it prob wont work and could easily cause fires.

One other thing ive just thought of is that mcintosh may be a fancy name on another product like carrozeria(pioneer) and bang & olufsen(philips). Worth looking into as if this is the case then the required cable may be easily got.

there is an aux in adapter that connects to the empty cd changer port on the back of the headunit but Hohn needs to probably take out his headunit from the center console and on the bottom of it will be a sticker with the model number of it. if he has a compatible headunit happy days 200 dollar adapter will give you ipod connectivity. wont charge the ipod though.

macintosh is made by Clarion

Loads of Clarion ipod interface cables on ebay-just type in clarion ipod cable. Worth a shot at $18.95 especially since you had a clarion changer connected previously

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but Halfords here in Wexford have got in a JVC and a Kenwood that are double din in size and claim to have direct connection to the ipod with full control.

Looks like they use a USB connection as opposed to just an aux jack.

Cheers, P.

I am in the same boat, but I have a garmin nuvi gps.
Luckily it has a FM transmitter built in, so i got a 8gb SD card for 15 yoyo's of ebay.
All you do is play the music through the garmin, and find a empty radio station.

Thanks folks I hope to have my dice interface installed in the next few days I will let you know how I get on cheers. :thumbsup:

Back