Legacy goes boom boom

ok ill stay with 2.0 from what ive read they are more reliable, still waiting to hear back from C+R on price for 2.0 block but from his first estimate over phone he said about 2200 euro + vat.

Patiently waiting for phone call from Ciaran with hopefully some not so bad news!

So block has a hole in it so new bottom end needed. Heads seem okay but probably still get them checked out when they come out. Does anyone know the absolute cheapest place for getting a new block or best place for high quality used sti. Short blocks

buy brand new from subaru and get isdc discount and get someone to get the vat off. thats the cheapest id say but!

2 Things you have to do... No.1 Determine whether your heads are Useable or nor... No. 2 decide on how much you want to spend on this...
The answer to your question above about a new short block is this, The shortblock comes with nothing Dan, No Sump, no oil pump, no timing gear, no water pump, no Modine... You are looking at the guts of probably 600-800 for these parts alone depending where you buy them...

I mentioned to you before Dan that buying a Full newage STI 2nd hand engine may be the best and cheapest option, Sell the heads, Inlet manifold etc etc, and recoup some of the money.. Then get the Short block checked and new bearings fitted... You can use the modine and oil pump off this engine along as it had no bearing failure etc etc and that will save you another 400-500 odd euro

Or you could get a new STI motor built using a donor block.. unfortunetly again you will have to buy at minimum an oil pump and modine... so figure 400-500 in on the price

ye i dont think ill be going new block, might just go with that twinscroll legacy thats for breaking and used engine from that with some fresh bits if needed, it could possibly be a semi closed deck as mentioned by a few people and if it is all the better if not i was told buy guy from AVO Japan that the legacy blocks in standard form are good up to around 350whp, he is pretty much the expert on these and raced them for 4 years in Japan. ans developed a lot of the parts they now sell on that car, so even should be fine with that. Heads are good so one less problem to worry about. Engine will be out tomorrow so we can see whats what, if you want to pop up can and have a noisey, let me know and i can have a look at your laptop for you!

Did you check the logs to make sure nothing caused it to start overboosting and knocking? I know you had been checking regularly before and there was no sign of knock before, just wondering if something went wrong to cause it :dontknow:

Runing up to 400, the block shouldnt be a real problem, its your internals Dan, 2LTR sti Rods are very good, ive heard stories that v5 v6 STI pistons are better than newage ones but im not 100% sure..
I got the lap top fixed, was a power problem, 3 mosfits and voltage controller or something replaced, seems to think charger was cause.. My sound is shite since i got it back do :(
If i was up around i would have a quick look but i wont be and am up to my eyes, havent time to look at my own

i plan on checking the logs tomorrow before engine comes out , but if the ecu lost power then it will have wiped everything i would usually check.

Probably will go with new pistons and rods anyway for piece of mind, sure we will see how the ones in there compare to sti ones if there is anything left!

sounds like he messed up the onboard audio controller board maybe while fixing it for you, i would be bringing it back if you paid money for repairs, like getting a rebuild done and having a leaking rear crank seal, just sloppy workmanship!

There is a wr1 engine for sale on done deal only 30k on it
Could you not dump that into it ????

this one keith:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/carextras/2919303

might give him a bell but i would say the engine is already gone. what turbo is in them as standard and would want it included for that price

if i was to dump whole engine in it would need to be dual avcs and fly-by-wire throttle design as far as i know otherwise all the wiring loom/ connectors would need changing

That's the one
Was talking to him the other day about wheels off it
He said it's all still there bar the brakes diffs and shafts.
Worth a call
Has ecu and all there

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=32955.msg378760#msg378760 date=1327706192]
That's the one
Was talking to him the other day about wheels off it
He said it's all still there bar the brakes diffs and shafts.
Worth a call
Has ecu and all there
[/quote]

was it crashed at all do you know? or knowing my luck probably had bottom end failure!

Engine was 100%
Most panels are there as well think it got a smack in the back and drivers side
Call him and see

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=32955.msg378739#msg378739 date=1327700050]
ye i dont think ill be going new block, might just go with that twinscroll legacy thats for breaking and used engine from that with some fresh bits if needed, it could possibly be a semi closed deck as mentioned by a few people and if it is all the better if not i was told buy guy from AVO Japan that the legacy blocks in standard form are good up to around 350whp, he is pretty much the expert on these and raced them for 4 years in Japan. ans developed a lot of the parts they now sell on that car, so even should be fine with that. Heads are good so one less problem to worry about. Engine will be out tomorrow so we can see whats what, if you want to pop up can and have a noisey, let me know and i can have a look at your laptop for you!
[/quote]

On jap fuel but...

sorry to hear about the car Dan.. hope you get it sorted one way or another was lovely looking motor

Engine came out today

how it looked when manifold etc came off:
photo.jpg

large chunk came off easily by hand:
photo1.jpg

Heads coming off now aswell, should find out if its semi or open deck block

Back