Legacy BP5 Transmission issue

legacy03

ISDC Club Member
Well, only one day on the forums and the BP5 decides to throw a fit 😂

Specs: 2003 Legacy BP5, EJ20Y, 5MT,

Setting off in first gear, aswell as reversing sometimes results in a clunking noise as if something is roughly engaging, all other gears are perfectly smooth and working (for now) sound can be felt through the car and is coming from transmission area . Also feels bad when turning in 1st but I could just be thinking that.

Haven't had a chance to put on the lift yet, but anyone have any pointers so I know what to be looking for, or experienced similar issue?

Sound - ill get her to the shed tonight and see whats happening underneath

Could be lots of things
Carrier bearing
Oil as above
Inner and outer cv on any of the shafts
Also worth checking the gearbox code matches the plate on lh strut tower incase someone has mismatched gearbox and rear diff ratios
Problems could well be more severe with this senario

Could be lots of things
Carrier bearing
Oil as above
Inner and outer cv on any of the shafts
Also worth checking the gearbox code matches the plate on lh strut tower incase someone has mismatched gearbox and rear diff ratios
Problems could well be more severe with this senario
I'll check numbers as well , thanks.

Will update tonight with hopefully the issue !

Just home from the garage there now.
With help from Dave RSR fairly confident it's the center diff torque binding as happening when transmission is nice and warm and while turning etc - hopefully that helps if anyone else needs troubleshooting!

Also found a nice rip in the front CV joint and grease expelled everywhere it shouldn't be.

A busy weekend so.

Thanks for the help above aswell lads

Back